Sign in to follow this  
edmck

My Ford V10 Is Bulletproof

This week my wife and I drove our 2005 Winnebago 30 Sightseer (and toad) south from Oregon down to San Fran on the beautiful coastal 101 route. We are new to this side the the country, and had no idea what we were in for on this route. Long story short; it was an experience for sure. Never saw such a narrow road; never imagined the dramatic switchbacks and cliffs; and the unexpected descents/inclines were a real challenge for our gas V10 engine and 4-speed trans. We made it through, of course, but it's not a trip I'd recommend, especially if you have a toad. But after two days of that kind of hard driving, I've come to appreciate this V10 engine and it's resilient transmission. I watched the engine temp gage carefully all the way and it never moved regardless of the pull. Just wanted to put it a plug for this tough engine in case anyone might be interested. I'd buy another coach with Ford power/chassis anytime.

Guest BillAdams

We have made the 101 drive between OR and San Fran. in both directions several times. We would recommend this drive to anyone and everyone! We have a 40' RV with a 22' toad (including the hitch) and we made this drive without issue (slow sometimes, of course). It's a great drive. We also took PCH1 from Monterey, CA to Morro Bay. I think the S. bound trip is easier as you are on the outside edge (your passenger may not agree) as long as you ignore the speed limit sign and make slow sweeping turns. There are a number of pull-out areas which we used to allow cars in a bigger hurry than us to pass.

I don't mean to steal the thread or diminish your pleasure with your V-10 but I don't want others to think this is a trip that they should avoid.

Now on my second motorhome with the Ford V-10 engine. It is absolutely bulletproof. Regularly travel I-75 from Michigan to Florida, mountains in Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia, and have made a couple of trips to the west coast, including the 101 route and have never had a problem.

Tony

edmck101, I too have the F53 chassis on my 2005 Hurricane and agree that the V10 is a great engine. Don't rely on the stock temp gauge to tell you anything useful. I installed the Scan Guage ll and found that the temp varies depending on load, but usually runs between 190 and 210. The electric cooling fans comes on at about 204 degrees and shuts off at about 200.