I have a 2009 Southwind with a Norcold Refrigerator Recall. Could someone tell me what that involves as far as what parts are to be replaced & approximately the time to do the job.

Will we be able to keep the food in it while this is done ?

Tupelo,

Norcold, Inc. Product Recalls – Call 1-800-767-9101. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Brett

Last week I went to http://www.norcoldrecall.com/ and filled out the on-line form to see if our fridge was on the recall, a 2008 class A, it came back and said no it wasn't on the recall list.

Last night Norcold called me and said their web site was wrong and our fridge was indeed on the list, she asked for our current location and gave me a couple repair facilities in this area. I went to one of the places and they are ordering the parts and will do the fix next week.

I was pleased Norcold is proactive and called.

Brian

HI,

I just had the recall done Nov 12, 2010. I left on a trip on the 15th. Now, today, the 25th, the refer stopped with code "L1 oP". The Operators manual says no user fix take it to a tech.. So I assume that I'm screwed. I sure hope Camping World will have the parts to get me up and running again. and under warranty. this unit is only 2 years old.

I'm now wondering how the guys that are installing residential refers are going to hold up to the ride down the road. sighhh. to go on with my trip or go home, that is the thoughts...We ARE about half way to our destination.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Ron

HI,

I just had the recall done Nov 12, 2010. I left on a trip on the 15th. Now, today, the 25th, the refer stopped with code "L1 oP". The Operators manual says no user fix take it to a tech.. So I assume that I'm screwed. I sure hope Camping World will have the parts to get me up and running again. and under warranty. this unit is only 2 years old.

I'm now wondering how the guys that are installing residential refers are going to hold up to the ride down the road. sighhh. to go on with my trip or go home, that is the thoughts...We ARE about half way to our destination.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Ron

Ron,

If I may ask, how old is your refrigerator?

Don

Don,

It was in my post. see above.

Ron

Guest Wayne77590

Don,

Before you left the dealers service lot, did you check to see that everything was running?

I did, and I had an error code. I went back in and told them, from some reading I had done, that they put the wires on backwards. The tech smiled, but went outside, made a statement that it's not problem to switch the wires - he did - the unit started working. The silly smile went away and he thanked me.

Just a thought.

Don,

Before you left the dealers service lot, did you check to see that everything was running?

I did, and I had an error code. I went back in and told them, from some reading I had done, that they put the wires on backwards. The tech smiled, but went outside, made a statement that it's not problem to switch the wires - he did - the unit started working. The silly smile went away and he thanked me.

Just a thought.

Wayne, Thanks for your thought. The unit ran fine for 13 days the quit. II was in Tucson when I was able to get a tech to come to me. He diagnoses was the the "new" thermocoupler that was installed was defective. Called Norcold they agreed but said they were on back-order till later this year. Well the Tech had mercy on me as I couldn't wait in Tucson til then and I had to move on, He unwired the device and the refer works. We are now in San Diego and fixin' to leave for LA in a couple of days. Problem is, we can't be assured of when the part could arrive anywhere. So don't want anyone to order it til we're sure of its status to arrive anywhere. Will probably wait til we get home. Just don't use the refer on propane.

Ron

Guest Wayne77590

Thanks for the follow-up Ron.

Sometimes when the part is real small like that I'll tell he dealer that I'll pay second day air on the shipment. I did that with the Norcold as we wanted to leave town. The dealer arranged with Norcold and they shipped it second day. My cost was minimal to have propane on the road.

Good luck.

The most disappointing fact about this Norcold recall is that they can't seem to find the end of it. I purchased a brand new model 1210IM in July, 2010 and it was included in the recall in September. I had to wait 3 weeks for the parts to arrive. The fix only required 30 minutes, but needed a second trip because the tech had accidently pulled the ac input lead off of the main control board. So it's a good idea to check operation in all modes before leaving the repair facility. The original reefer failed at age 7 years, 4 months after the original recall was performed on it.

Guest Wayne77590

David,

I would wager to say that they have warehouses full of refrigerators that are on the line to be shipped to hundreds of RV sales stores. They may be updating those as they go out, but more likely they are having the dealers do it, and at a reduced labor cost, and more economical for them.

Just thinking outloud.

Wayne, that's exactly how it works. The RV manufacturers do the same thing. Regardless of what they tell you, it always comes down to the money.

David, "The original reefer failed at age 7 years, 4 months after the original recall was performed on it." On many if not most of the first recall refers they were replacing the entire cooling unit thinking that was the problem. It was. Unfortunately, the new cooling units were the same basic design as the original, and ultimately some of them leaked also, causing fires. An additional created problem was most techs are not proficient in replacing the complete cooling unit, and many failed prematurely due to this.

Then, as Norcold describes in a posting, the "algorithm" response time to a high temperature condition was too slow, resulting in another recall.

Now Norcold is sending out a bimetal high limit temperature switch (similar to that used on hot water heaters and furnaces) and is mounted on the refer boiler to sense an over-temperature condition. They will pay for 30 minutes of the tech's time which includes a sheet metal flame barrier inserted between the boiler and cabinet wall.

The switch will either cut off the 120vac (per Norcold) or the 12vdc to the gas solenoid thereby shutting off the LPG supply. Have seen contradicting information on this. Per two techs, flame operation is the greater issue since the open flame mixing with hydrogen crated from the leaking and vaporizing coolant causes the fire issue.

From industry sources, the cooling units used by both Dometic and Norcold are manufactured by the same company on Europe. This is why they both have the same issues. And the "new" cooling units used in the first recall was basically a newer version of the original -- some of which failed in the same manner due to "pushing" the design limits of the cooling units due to being stressed by the demand for cooler temperatures installed in locations without proper ventilation (slide outs).

So the refer makers are now sending out a new band aid solution for the same original problem. And it should work as far as preventing a fire. But it will not stop a potential leak in the cooling unit -- the original problem.

We purchased our coach as second owners last year. The refer had practically no use for 10 years. It has worked flawless for us for the past year of full time operation. Even in 110 degree temps. Probably due to two large fans cooling the refer cooling unit. But I am scheduled to to have the high limit switch installed next month by a Norcold authorized mobile service tech. And I will be looking over his shoulder even though I did similar stuff for 40 years. Then I will do whatever mod is necessary to make sure the 120vac and LPG are shut down to the refer. Plus I have an extra temp sensor and spray head in the engine fire detection/suppression system that will go into the refer compartment.

I'm starting to hear from more and more people that "Oh, the RV frig is only good for 3 or 4 years." What baloney! It's widely known if you keep telling someone the same thing over and over, they will eventually believe it. Yes, their are certain things you, the owner, need to do to keep it running well. Kind of like doing basic maintenance on your car to keep it running.

I was into Bus conversions and can say household refer units used as replacements for the RV units have many woodworking and electrical capacity issues. Even if you don't boondock a lot.

When my Norcold cooling unit eventually leaks and/or dies, I'll get a new (not rebuilt) totally redesigned Amish unit for our coach for $1K, and keep our existing refer.

When my Norcold cooling unit eventually leaks and/or dies, I'll get a new (not rebuilt) totally redesigned Amish unit for our coach for $1K, and keep our existing refer.

We have a Dometic, it died after about 8½ years. Have the new Amish built cooling unit sitting in the front room of the stick house now. Cost was $625 plus $25 shipping for our 1062 unit.

The most disappointing fact about this Norcold recall is that they can't seem to find the end of it. I purchased a brand new model 1210IM in July, 2010 and it was included in the recall in September. I had to wait 3 weeks for the parts to arrive. The fix only required 30 minutes, but needed a second trip because the tech had accidently pulled the ac input lead off of the main control board. So it's a good idea to check operation in all modes before leaving the repair facility. The original reefer failed at age 7 years, 4 months after the original recall was performed on it.

Here we go again. My mail just caught up with me and lo and behold, another Norcold Recall. When does it end? Surely they will get it right eventually. But that is what I thought about the last recall. This reefer is less than a year old....

Chuck, Deen;

I've seen ads for the Amish units but haven't paid much attention to them. How are they different or superior to the OEM units?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

Regarding quality, I only know what I read from dealers/installers who have used (and sell) Amish cooling units via hours on the Internet. More importantly to me, I have consistently heard good reports from purchasers of Amish this and that products. They have a different work ethic and it shows.

Will the Amish cooling unit last longer? I would think so but their are very few guarantees in life. The Amish cooling units are "supposed" to have thicker tubing and a re-engineered system. But as with anything, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Norcold told me I only needed the high temp sensor modification, then they said I needed a complete new cooling unit. Being full-timers working in south Texas, I wasn't about to leave the coach for several days (literally) at a dealer. So I had J.D.'s Mobile Home Repair out of Kingsville, Texas come out and do the job. They are a Norcold approved dealer and that's a laugh. Typical RV types that won't read simple instructions because they think they know everything. "We've done these before". Yea, they have but not my model. But that's another story.

Bottom line is I have a new cooling unit and high temp circuit board. As much as their workmanship gripes me, I'm glad they did it in the coach because I found out how easy it is to change one of these cooling units out -- if you follow the instructions in the proper sequence. Like everything else in these RV's, it definitely is not rocket science. Though many would like you to think so.

And while the unit was out, it allowed me to clean out the enclosure, and take measurements and pictures for possible household refer install in the future if this cooling unit doesn't last.

Here we go again. My mail just caught up with me and lo and behold, another Norcold Recall. When does it end? Surely they will get it right eventually. But that is what I thought about the last recall. This reefer is less than a year old....

UPDATE: Received word from Norcold, yesterday via the servicing dealer. Turns out that the last recall did take care of this one. The notice was sent in error and my reefer is good to go. Sometimes the news ain't so bad.

I believe norcold is just trying to sell new refrigerators .... things must be slow for them , with the economy turn down. My second recall lasted one weekend .... I called norcold and was told to go back and have it check and I would probably need a new unit (refrigerator) .... so I will disconect the wires from the box and run it without the mod

I believe norcold is just trying to sell new refrigerators .... things must be slow for them , with the economy turn down. My second recall lasted one weekend .... I called norcold and was told to go back and have it check and I would probably need a new unit (refrigerator) .... so I will disconect the wires from the box and run it without the mod

Unfortunatly Norcold started making their cooling units with a cheaper grade of tubing several years back either to save a buck or to get you to replace your refrigerator sooner. These poor quality cooling units started failing early and have led to refrigerator fires, so rather than recall the whole cooling unit Norcold has chose to install these crumby recall fixit boxes that are just a bandaid fix.

If you want a sure fire fix, you can do what I did and install an Amish Built cooling unit. They are made using a 50% thicker wall tubing and don't need any recall boxes. I am now once again a happy camper since I made the change. Here is a video showing my cooling unit replacement.

1Sammiedog

Took our '05 American Eagle into Lazy Days last Feb (2011) to have work done. While there, they checked our Norcold, found it within the recall #s & replaced the high temp monitor. Off we went w thanx to them for saving us trouble `on the road.' Just picked our Eagle up today after having the brand new replacement high temp senor replaced by Norcold for the 2nd time in 8 mos. Quality! That's what I like - quality:-(

What's that you asked? What about my brand new, self setting Wineguard Slimline Antenna? Have I had any probs w it? Lemme tell you about my $2k Wineguard LG DTV Slimline Antenna - you sure you got a couple hours???????

Clovis 'n Ann

New Hampshire

2005 American Eagle 42R

My Eagerness, I got so excited to share my grief with my Norcold or nocold refridgerator that I posted my response to the section on appliances. For those of you who are still struggling with the units you may want to have a look at the problems I had. It is my opinion that they will recall the issue to the point of no end. After my fire and the fire of a friend's unit in the same park and the destruction of a unit at the park in Top Sail State Park Fl, from fire, surprisingly I still was not so afraid about the fire, but was convinced they were only redecorating the cake so to speak and the unit still would not cool. This is a donkey of many tails one of which is why were so many units installed in so many different brands of RVs without proper air flow. How many units burned before the fix for the over temp conditions. A large number of manufactures now install residential units. My recent installation of a residential unit is working great and is more than twice the cubic feet if the 1200 from Norcold. Charlie T

hi how do I check gas pressures? I had a local guy clean up burner assembly and i asked him about gas pressures. he blew me off wwithout checking anything. "oh they are fine" the norcold has a pressure gauge located behind fridge. still works on electric. I did buy a selector switch as that seemed the problem 1st time. have not installed because of weatther which is cold. anyhelp ? heading ou to austin tx area after xmas.

I have had bad experiences with RV folks and my NORCOLD N400 4.5 2 WAY. long story eventually the selector switch was replaced at RV shop in Appleton, wi, however, 2 yrs later it is displaying the same symptoms. calling NORCOLD is worthless. the refrig works on electric if level. but on propane will light but when i let go of the red buttom it goes out. I have to take the refrig out to get at the controls to check for loose wiring or dirty connectors. so far i have not done this. i do not use my rv often(1990 toyota winnebago mini) but do miss the LP REFRIG. Boondock when out.... any suggestions..refrig is a 2006 model

I sounds like you might have a problem with your gas pressure. Have your regulator checked to see if the pressure is appropriate. Otherwise, all gas appliances have a detector for presence of a flame. If that detector fails then it will shut off the gas automatically. You may just need a new sensor or an adjustment to your propane regulator.