Sign in to follow this  
phy0749@hotmail.com

Westward Bound

Question

We are planning a trip in late Nov to Az from Pawleys Island, SC. I will be planning to use military campgrounds whenever avail. I will be traveling down I-95 S to I-20 through Columbia west. 1st stop will be Ft Gordon, GA.

Continue on I-20 to I-85 where we plan on staying at Maxwell, AFB. Next Shelby training site south of I-20. Continue on to New Orleans NAS then to Ft Sam Houston, TX. Continue on west and dry camp for a night somewhere between Ft Sam and Ft Bliss, TX our next stop. Dry camp next night somewhere between El Paso and Apache Flats (FT Huachaka) where we will stay for a few days as I hear they have a real nice park.

I want to play golf there and pay my respects to my deceased dad who's ashes were scattered on par 3 13th or 14th hole. Do some horseback riding and visit some of local attractions. From there we will head west to Yuma, staying at Davis Monathon, AFB enroute. While in Yuma we will stay at Martinez Lake and then to Yuma Proving Grounds. I know Yuma is crowded this time of the year as I lived there for a number of years on active duty USMC and retired there in 1991.

We will be in Yuma for a week or so then head north to FT Tuthill Luke AFB. Leave there and dry camp someplace between Luke and Grandon, AZ our next stop. Grandon must be a public campground. Next stop, Kirtland, AFB S of I-40, NM. Dry camp someplace between Kirtland AFB and Amarillo, TX, our next stop.

Any recommendations on park in Amarillo would be appreciated. Heading east and dry camp someplace between Amarillo and Tinker AFB, OK our next stop.

Continue east and dry camp someplace between Tinker and FT Chaffee ARK. Next stop Little Rock then Navy Lake I think thats in Millington, TN, what used to be or maybe still is NAS, Memphis. I was there for a couple weeks in 1977 on active duty and have some fond memories. We will leave there heading east and spend couple nights dry camping at Walmart or someplace until we arrive in Clarksville, TN where we will pickup my mom from my sisters home.

We will leave there heading east and spend night in Cookeville or Crossville, TN., then to Ashville, Charlotte and home.

Long trip but looking forward to it. Any recommendations or advice on this trip will be gladly received.

2 answers to this question

Lackland AFB in San Antonio would be my first choice when in that area. The Famcamp at Fort Bliss in El Paso is one of the best, but the drive between San Antonio and there is 550 miles. A long haul in one day. Palo Duro Canyon State Park near Amarillo is nice and it is "canyon" camping.

In addition to the military campgounds website mentioned, I would suggest that you buy a Military Lodging book at a PX/BX at one of your first few stips. You may find military installations along your route that don't have a campground, but do have space A lodging. On occassion, military lodging is an alternative to dry camping.