ve744

Traveling With Firearms

We are new to RVing and would like to know the thinking about carrying guns aboard an RV. Is it legal to carry firearms across state lines? Are they needed for possible predators - human or animal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Wayne77590

You may want to check The Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Public Law No. 99-308, 100 Stat. 449 (May 19, 1986), codified at 18 U.S.C. § 921

For the most part, you can possess a shotgun and/or rifle. You can't have a handgun unless you are in the state where you would be licensed. Only licensed law enforcement or retired law enforcement with a federal license can carry a handgun across state lines. Also, some campgrounds do not allow guns.

As a retired law enforcement officer, who has the right to carry a hand gun, I must tell you, leave it home. I never needed it and do not carry when camping. Too many things could go wrong. Like a kid getting hold of one's guns.

Jon

We've been full timing without any firearms for nine years. No problem. Perhaps we're just lucky. It is good to be cautious at all times, armed or unarmed. We've boondocked at dozens of Wal-Marts, truck stops, highway rest areas, and a few times in a vacant parking lot or on the parking lot of a out of business store. When I feel an area is risky, I'll not go out of the coach except in the morning light to check tires and the condition of the toad. We've been in every state in the US and all of the Canadian Provinces except Newfoundland. Canada of course restricts all firearms. Don't mess with Canada if you are packing!

I'm new to this forum but have been full timing for a bit over a year now... in addition to over two years of half timing. I am from a family of three San Francisco law enforcement officers.

I can't tell you how refreshing these responses are.

When we went on the road I purchased a can of Bear Spray which I keep in the bedroom..... somewhere. After over 800 nights on the road we have not encountered a single incident where we would even report anyone to the camp host... much less kill them.

If you ask this same question on some other forums you will get much different responses. From the research I've done on this issue I would describe RV'ers as one of the most heavily armed group of folks anywhere. Many of these folks feel the need to carry (permitted) concealed weapons and freely share the number of times they have had to pull their weapons to... I guess fend off the forces of evil.

I have not found it necessary in the RV world in which I live....

Be safe.

Rick

Laws vary from state to state. If you have a concealed carry permit from a state that issues them, many other states will recognize that permit. A good website that lists information for each state is: www.usacarry.com

Some states authorize "open carry," which means you can carry a weapon unconcealed on your person.

There is also something called "peaceable journey" which allows you to transport a firearm while traveling.

Rules for shotguns, long guns and handguns vary, so it is best to check the laws for each state in which or through which you will be traveling.

There are restrictions as to where you can carry, even with a permit. Again, check the state laws.

Some of those restrictions are that you may not carry in:

Schools

Athletic events

Courthouses

Federal buildings

Post offices

etc., etc.

A firearm is just like automobile insurance. You may never need it.

GM

The key to safety is to be aware of your surroundings. RVers can be very vulnerable. Most of us have three things folks on the run need - food, clothing and transportation. Two recent events - one in Canada and another in New Mexico - highlight this. In Alberta, a burned out Class A was found, and the toad was missing. The elderly couple have never been found. The other incident was near Santa Rosa. The 5er was found with the bodies of the owners inside. The toad was missing. In both cases, the toad was found later, and in both cases, arrests were made.

As far as I know, the Canadian couple was not armed (handguns are not permitted in Canada.) In the New Mexico incident, both, IIRC, had CCWs.

To be armed or not is a personal decision. And being aware aware will keep us out of many more potentially dangerous situations that being armed will.

GM

Guest Wayne77590
As far as I know, the Canadian couple was not armed (handguns are not permitted in Canada.)

GM

The partial quote above opens up a topic where handguns are not allowed in a lot of areas in the world, but then I guess the perpetrator(s) use(s) knives, fists, clubs, etc., but never handguns. They must be partially observing the law, right?

Hmmm! What is the legal length barrel of a shotgun anyhow?

For the most part, you can possess a shotgun and/or rifle. You can't have a handgun unless you are in the state where you would be licensed. Only licensed law enforcement or retired law enforcement with a federal license can carry a handgun across state lines. Also, some campgrounds do not allow guns.

As a retired law enforcement officer, who has the right to carry a hand gun, I must tell you, leave it home. I never needed it and do not carry when camping. Too many things could go wrong. Like a kid getting hold of one's guns.

Jon

This is so wrong , completely wrong, incorrect , and just plane wrong.

Please, as some other poster suggested, check The Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Public Law No. 99-308, 100 Stat. 449 (May 19, 1986), codified at 18 U.S.C. § 921

PHE

As usual with a gun thread, there is a mix of good advice and outright erroneous statements. There are many sources that provide accurate information. I agree with PHE above that the quoted statement is so wrong, completely wrong, incorrect and just plain wrong.

GM

A good reference to carry with you ...IF you chose to travel with firearms ...is "Travelers Guide to Firearms Laws of the Fifty States". Do a google search and you should find sources where you can order it. It has a one page synopsis of key info for each state covering handguns, long guns, concealed, etc.

This is so wrong , completely wrong, incorrect , and just plane wrong.

Please, as some other poster suggested, check The Firearm Owners' Protection Act (FOPA), Public Law No. 99-308, 100 Stat. 449 (May 19, 1986), codified at 18 U.S.C. § 921

PHE

Sorry PHE, you are the one that is wrong.

If you read the law, you must also read the state law. Most states will only let you pass though their State to go to an event like a shooting contest and not just any. Must be put on by a group like the N.R.A.. Most of us are not going to a shooting contest. Also if you read here, http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59 you will see that it states: "Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest"

That means, you could be arrested and have to go though the system possibly up to a trial to use the federal law as an affirmative defense. That Defense in many states could only be if you were going to the contest to compete, not just pass though the state. Example: If you are going though N.J. to a friends house in another state with a handgun in a lock box, you will be going time in jail.

Don't just look at one federal law and think you are OK. You need to read the State law and most of all, the case law!

PHE,

Here is some good case law for you to look at.

Stops While Travelling

Courts have generally held that in order to be able to invoke this law as a defense the only stops allowed must be directly incidental to the trip. For example, in People v. Selyukov, 2008 NY Slip Op 28104, 2 (N.Y. J. Ct. 2008), a trial court held:

Fundamental to the defense is the firearm owner's actually engaging in travel, or acts incidental to travel, through the state of arrest, such as stopping for food or gasoline or picking up passengers or packages for the trip. Any pause in the journey must be directly incident to it.

The defense is generally lost if the firearm’s owner stops for any reasons not directly related to the immediate trip. (for example see State v Baker, 639 SW2d 617 [Mo App, SD 1982]) defense not available when stop was for unrelated stay with girlfriend.)

It is clear that stops for food and gasoline do not constitute a break in travel. But what about stops such as overnight stays or major diversions to collect passengers? Stops such as this are a grey area under this law and it is hard to judge the line when a stop is directly incident to the journey or falls outside of that category. Due to the lack of any settled law, it is best for a gun owner to be cautious when planning any intermediate stops. When planning a trip it would be best for the gun owner to:

Plan a travel route through states where possession is legal under state or local law

Plan travel routes that avoid jurisdictions which heavily regulate firearms and minimize travel time and stops in jurisdictions which do so

Minimize the need for overnight stops

When making overnight stops, stay close to your travel route. Do not deviate from the route to stay overnight with friends or family.

Do not make major detours to collect passengers or packages. If possible, make arrangements to collect these close to your main travel route.

Make stops as brief as possible. Minimize length of stops whenever possible.

When stopped, even overnight, do not remove firearms from the car as doing so may remove the protection of federal law and may even constitute illegal carry of a firearm in that jurisdiction

Sorry PHE, you are the one that is wrong. If you read the law, you must also read the state law. Most states will only let you pass though their State to go to an event like a shooting contest

I have to agree with PHE, based on the many states I have checked out. "Most states" in the US do have some provisions for transporting firearms, whether long gun or hand guns ...in fact, I would argue that "most states" have few problems with it. And many (most?) recognize the concealed handgun carry permits issued by other states. (check http://www.carryconcealed.net/). However, "most states" in the NE part of the US ARE much more restrictive, and some in fact violate most citizens' understanding of Federal Law on the subject.

Being a veteran I fully believe in protecting my family from the wackos that exist today with anything at my disposal. However, if you are uncomfortable handling firearms there is a safe way to fend off a perp. Purchase a large can of wasp spray from your local hardware store & keep it handy. It will spray a stream up to twenty feet. Aim for the face & eyes. The toughest hombre out there will scream in pain & probably run into a tree trying to get away.You will have plenty of time to call out for help or dial 911.

Here is a great site to check on gun laws for the different states...www.handgunlaws.us

I would also look at getting a concealed weapons permit from my home state and then, depending on what your home state is, look into getting a non-resident permit from Fla. and/or Utah. This will give you 32 plus states in which you will be covered for CC.

Above all, know your weapon(s)...practice, practice and more practice shooting whatever you carry.

There is a tremendous amount of misinformation and speculation on this forum, in this thread and others.

I have only this to say.

(a) It is better to have a firearm and not need it than to need a firearm and not have one.

(B) Read the Federal Laws, State Laws and Canadian Laws thoroughly before and WHILST traveling. The change that fast! You need to know what is legal and what is not legal in each jurisdiction you are traveling through. U.S. FEDERAL LAW permits you to transport from one place where it is legal to have a gun in your possession to another place where it is legal to have a gun in your possession under specific terms and conditions. You need to not only know the fine points and have a copy of this federal law laminated and with you, but you need to have the laws of each and every state that you are going to traverse firmly planted in your head and understood. There are still states that do not permit magazines greater than 10 rounds for example. There are states that do not permit threaded barrels that could be used to carry a silencer or shroud of any kind, and so on. YOU MUST know the laws of each and every state you are traversing; take your laptop with you. You want protection? (And trust me, from personal experience) YOU need to take the time and effort to know the rules. Regrettably they are not the same and we can only hope that some day they will be universal like driver's licenses.... ha.

Do not take speculation as gospel because it is just that... speculation. Simply because it is in print does not make it true or valid advice. As Ayoob says "Officer, I was in fear of imminent personal grievous bodily harm or death to myself or my loved ones and the assailant simply would not stop. I am feeling sick and in a state of shock right now and would like a lawyer by my side before I say anything more with all due respect" And Ayoob is a cop. Take the advice.

I would like more info on carrying a weapon like a pistol. While taking my concealed permit class in Texas, I was told you can carry a gun in states that do not respect the license's of concealed permits if the gun is unloaded and separate from the bullets. Maybe someone can clarify this. I will also look up some of the websites posted here.

gypsies2

I was told you can carry a gun in states that do not respect the license's of concealed permits if the gun is unloaded and separate from the bullets. Maybe someone can clarify this.
That is true in some states, but not true in others ...and depends on what you mean by "carry" (on your person on in your vehicle, concealed or open, etc); and depends on what you mean by "unloaded" (some states prohibit even a loaded magazine anywhere in the vehicle); and depends on what you mean by "separate" etc, etc.

As I indicated in an earlier post, an excellent quick and simple reference that is updated every year is "Travelers Guide to Firearms Laws of the Fifty States." Google it and you should find several sources to buy from. Between that AND doing a google search on specific states you are traveling to at a specific time, you should be able to keep out of trouble. Laws change all the time so you may find conflicting information from one website to the next as some are updated faster than others.

Go here Carry maps, My Ohio concealed carry permit is recognized by 28 states in addition to my home state. Always verify the laws in the states you intend travel through.

I always carry where and when legal to do so. I also practice regularly, never use a tool with which you are not proficient. I carry because it is my responsibility to protect myself. The police do not prevent crime they investigate it, there are too few police to be every where. When seconds count the police are on minutes away. This implies no disrespect to our brave and dedicated policemen and women. It's just a fact.

And no I'm not one of those guys that brandishes my pistol. You would never know I'm carry it. I believe carry a weapon of any kind is a huge responsibility that must be taken seriously. I attend training regularly and practice. I remain current on gun laws in the state I am in. I am a strong advocate of gun safety.

I would like to think our society is safer than it is but that would be displaying sheep mentality. Murders don't just happen at night in bad parts of town in big cities.

I agree with a previous poster one of you best defenses is situational awareness, I would add to that don't look like a victim, criminal like a wolf will prey on those that appear weak.

I would also suggest if you are not proficient with a weapon you shouldn't carry it.

I would never try to change your mind or impose my views of the 2nd Amendment on you, just telling you how I personally feel. I respect that the decision to carry is a personal choice. I only oppose those that wish to tell me that I can't or shouldn't carry or those who try to deny my 2nd Amendment right.

No offense meant.

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

Wasp and Hornet spray sold at many Home Depots, Lowes, WalMart and many other places. Shoots a spray up to 20' and the recipient usually has to be transported to a medical treatment facility.

Guest Wayne77590

HR-822 passed the House. (Pertains to this subject.)

Let's see where it goes from there.