raywaller

TS ME Microwave Mounting Bolts

I have a TS ME that has a microwave unit mounted above the stove top. One corner of the microwave appears to be hanging lower than it should (either I never noticed before, or it has changed over time), and it squeaks a lot during travel. I'm assuming the top part of the faceplate of the microwave can be removed/popped off somehow, giving access to the hanging mounting bolts, but I'm reluctant to pull on the faceplate for fear of breaking it. Does anyone know how I can either remove the faceplate, or how to gain access to the mounting bolts (without removing any of the overhead wood trim), so I can either tighten the bolts or satisfy myself that the unit isn't going to come crashing down on the stove top someday.

Your comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Ray,

Can't say for sure in your microwave, but I have installed several MWs in different homes. The USUAL mounting connections are a mounting plate bolted to the wall behind the microwave. Then the bottom rear edge of the MW is hooked over the bottom of the mounting plate that is now attached to the wall. Lift the front edge of the mw and tilt it up. It is then held in place by two large bolts that come down through the top of the cabinet above and screw into the mw. Check inside the cabinet above the microwave and see if you can see these bolts. They will probably have very large fender washers under them.

If you find these bolts try tightening them. One of them may be loose and letting the front edge of the mw hang down on one side. If these bolts are not loose, you might try lowering the front of the microwave by looseneing these bolts and then let it tilt down and lift it off of the back mounting plate. BE SURE YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO HELP WHEN YOU DO THIS AS THE MICROWAVE IS VERY HEAVY. I RECCOMMEND YOU ALSO PUT A BLANKET OR SIMILAR ON TOP OF THE STOVE SO THAT THE STOVETOP IS NOT DAMAGED WHEN YOU SET THE MW DOWN. As it hinges downward, you will have to unplug the power cord and pull it out through the hole in the cabinet as well. You can then lift the mw off of the mounting plate.

Once the microwave is out, look at the wall mountain plate and see if it is still level with the cabinet above. I did have one once where the mounting plate sort of twisted on the wall making the microwave out of level.

Remember: the key to my instructions is make sure that you have the two large bolts in the bottom front edge of the cabinet above the mw. If they are not there, then you don't have this kind of attachment setup.

Good luck.

Jack

Jack:

Thanks for the quick response, and for the detailed explanation/guidance. I'll take a closer look and let you know what I find. I do know there are bolts going from the top of the microwave into the ceiling of the coach, but will check to see how/if it is mounted to the wall of the coach. The bolts I can see seem to be coming through oversized holes in the ceiling, as if they might be bolts that have nuts with those spring-loaded wings that are pushed up through the hole. Just guessing.

Ray

Ray,

If you have any concern and want to verify exactly how it is installed, have you looked at the installation manual for your microwave-- it may even be on-line? If it is not clear from that, call the microwave manufacturer tech line.

Better than bending something or getting it half out and finding that you can't get it the rest of the way.

Brett

Ray,

If you have any concern and want to verify exactly how it is installed, have you looked at the installation manual for your microwave-- it may even be on-line? If it is not clear from that, call the microwave manufacturer tech line.

Better than bending something or getting it half out and finding that you can't get it the rest of the way.

Brett

Brett

Good advise. I think I now know how to remove the trim board (adjacent cabinet seems to have two screws associated with the mc trim board). Will let everyone know my results.

Thanks,

Ray

I was able to remove the trim board (2 screws inside left and right adjacent cabinets) and tighten the three hanging bolts. The unit is now tight against the horizontal stop-boards mounted behind the trim board and around three edges of the unit. The unit is now level, so it should be more efficent. Hindsight suggests that I should have removed each bolt and added a lock washer to each one (or applied lock-tight), but I can always do that if the unit vibrates loose again. Otherwise, problem resolved. Thanks to everyone for their advice and help.

Ray