Sign in to follow this  
LivingLikeEachDayIsMyLast

Three starts to turn on generator

Nearly everytime I start the 5,000-watt Onan generator in my '95 Class A motorhome, I have to shut it down and restart it two more times before I have any power. My local RV repair service has replaced the transfer switch and several other items, to no avail.

Is there some type of exciter built into the generator that isn't working? On the first start, I wait for about 10 minutes with no AC power. On the second start, I wait another 10 minutes with no power. On the third start power will come on after about three minutes. I'm starting to get a little irritated.

IF you are safe working with 120 VAC electricity, determine "how far" the 120 VAC gets from the generator:

Check where generator output is wired to house wiring (usually wire nuts).

Check at generator IN side of ATS.

Let us know that you find.

And it is always a good idea in cases like this to turn OFF and then back ON the two on-generator breakers.

Brett

IF you are safe working with 120 VAC electricity, determine "how far" the 120 VAC gets from the generator:

Check where generator output is wired to house wiring (usually wire nuts).

Check at generator IN side of ATS.

Let us know that you find.

And it is always a good idea in cases like this to turn OFF and then back ON the two on-generator breakers.

Brett

As Brett says above, make sure you are confortable with working with electricity, IT IS DEADLY. I have worked on electrical systems for all of my career. 120 volt is the most deadly, RESPECT IT!!!

Output of Generator's is difficult to determine, look the generator over for the obvious. Find a trouble shooting manual and follow procedures to diagnose. You can download or purchase a manual from Onan. It very well could be a loss or problem with magnetism, which can be restored by following procedures within the trouble shooting manual. This work should be performed by an experienced technician, higher voltages are present in generators and working with them without an electrical background is not smart. It also could be rodents have eaten through wiring causing intermitent connectivity. It's very difficult to determine the problem you have without reviewing personally, sorry not a whole lot of help. Find an experienced Onan distributer, they will help determine what is wrong.

Problem located today. There is a plug - in containing four wires directly in front of the 30 amp circuit breakers at the generator. The terminals inside of the plug were corroded. I carefully cleaned each terminal, applied a little dielectric grease to them & plugged them back in. :rolleyes: