keith.gaspari@verizon.net

Basement Doors - How do I get these off?

After many years of operating my Fleetwood Discovery, I finally nailed one of the basement doors. Mangled the edge pretty good so I need to get it to a local shop for repair.

Can these be taken off by simply removing the cylinders and bumping them down? Also where can the rail hinge be bought?

Losing sleep over this one!

"Wish I knew where to get the male portion of the track that mounts on the doors".

Not sure why you need that, was it damaged? I was going to slide it off the female hinge on the body molding; but your idea maybe better. I will try it first. Some time ago one of my compartment doors came off unexpectedly and when I found an RV shop to reinstall it they said they would release the body molding and slide it back on. But, I did not watch it so I was only guessing that would work. The suggestion on the thread I started sort of followed that logic, but I will try and raise them high after disconnecting the strut.

BTW- the place I am taking the doors is Carsmetics ( www.carsmetics.com/ ) . They specialize in minor repairs to cars and color matching. They are a Dupont company so the color part ought to be great. They cannot handle the RV, but were interested in working the 2 basement doors if I could get them to them. However, they are apparently only in FL, CA and Atlanta. So they might not work for you.

Let us know how you do and I will do the same.

Yes unfortunately it bent up the track on the door but did not impact the belt rail on the coach. Actually 2 doors and part of the flimsy fiberglass bumper. Parts are off and will go to the the local custom shop for repairs. I guess its just one of those things you deal with!

We'll see how it all works out.