DeltaDonnie

Support our TROOPS !

WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS:

A politician sees his family everyday; a deployed soldier once in 6 months. A politician flies 1st class; a soldier flies in a C130. A politician's pension is not reduced; a soldier's is clawed 65%. A politician enjoys an expense account; a soldier must justify extra ........rations. A politician vows to defend their country; a soldier actually keeps that promise. REPOST IF YOU SUPPORT OUR TROOPS.

Great time of the year for this post and I know I'm preaching to the choir but here goes. One of the best holiday memories I have as an adult was when a family invited five of us to Thanksgiving dinner and we had a blast. So every year we try to do something nice around the holidays for some of our guys and gals. To many folks think that supporting our troops means supporting the policies that send them into harms way, but I think it is showing we care and appreciate their sacrifice. So folks remember the lonely holidays you have spent, and do something nice for someone in the military this holiday season. Take them fishing. Buy lunch for some recruiters. Look for a young military family and adopt them. Remember the economy is kicking them in the butt.

Okay, time to crawl down off the soapbox.

Ward

Although I am not a veteran, I would like to add my encouragement for everyone to get involved and support our troops. My son just recently retired after 21 years in the United States Navy. My daughter-in-law is a DOD xray tech at Fort Hood. And my oldest grandson just arrived at Great Lakes Recruit Training Center last Tuesday to begin his Navy career as a Hospital Corpsman.

Military deployments are not easy on the families and they all deserve our support and respect.

WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS:

A politician sees his family everyday; a deployed soldier once in 6 months. A politician flies 1st class; a soldier flies in a C130. A politician's pension is not reduced; a soldier's is clawed 65%. A politician enjoys an expense account; a soldier must justify extra ........rations. A politician vows to defend their country; a soldier actually keeps that promise. REPOST IF YOU SUPPORT OUR TROOPS.

I am pleased to see people stepping forward to support our troops. I am a Vet and two of my brothers are Vets one of which is suffering from Agent Orange. I have seen him suffer from heart problems, loss of most of his hearing COPD and other ailments. I have seen him apply and reapply for benifits only to be turned down and when he did receive a benefit it was not much. There is an organization www.bluewaternavy.org that is fighting for these Vets. last year they had a bill introduced in the House of Representives with over 200 co-sponsors only to have the committee chairman refuse to let it out of committee and have it die.

A lot of good things can happen to help pay these brave soldiers back . In October the FMCA office received a call from a member who requested assistance in transporting a disabled Marine SGT Eddie Ryan to Washington, DC. SGT Ryan was a Marine sniper in Iraq and was shot in the head by friendly fire. Sgt Ryan was rescued and transported to the hospital in Germany where he was placed on Life Support and his mother was asked to donate his organs. Needless to say His mother refused and SGT Ryan recovered to the point where he is now, he can't use his legs. When interviewed on TV he was asked what his goal was and he said to run in the Marine Marathon in Washington, DC on October 31. Former Marine SGT Bryan Purcell saw that television program and volunteered to push SGT Ryan the 26.2 miles in the Marathon. When FMCA received the call they held a telephone conference with us members of the Executive Board and I was asked to arrainge the transportation. After many phone calls resulting in an unsuccesfull search for a handicapped equipted RV , We used a combination of an RV donated by Alpin Haus RV and a Wheelchair accessable Tour Bus loaned to us by Adirondack Trailways to get Sgt Ryan to DC and with the help of a special built wheelchair he fulfilled his dream and with Bryan Purcell's help reached his goal. Sgt Ryan's mother asked me if we could take Eddie to Bethesda Naval Hospital so he could thank the staff who helped him during his year long stay. When we were at the hospital I learned that The new Commandant of the Marine Corps was there handing out Purple Hearts. He made a point to visit with Sgt Ryan and give him a special medal that only the commandant can issue.

When we left the hospital I was asked if we could pick up a wounded soldier so he could have dinner with Sgt Ryan and his family. That soldier turned out to be a quadruple amputee . He came out of his apartment riding on his brothers back with his one artificial arm hanging on around his brothers neck. I later learned that the former Marine that asked me to pick him up was also a contractor and was building him a handicapped accessable home at no cost to the soldier.

Bryan Purcell and Myself are now forming a Not For Profit organization to purchase handicapped RV's to make sure that the next time soldier is in need that the need will be filled by Wheels for Wounded Warriors.org. Google SGT Eddie Ryan and read about a hero.

Diplomatman2002

OK my fellow veterans, respectfully, let's not forget who supports who.

We have willingly and proudly done the job that we volunteered to do. We made sacrifices to America that some would not want to participate in nor understand. Professional and dedicated servicemen and women would do that without needing a pat on the back.

But, we do get that pat on the back, support, and encouragement! It comes from our fellow Americans who appreciate and understand the importance of our current or past service to them and this great country. And, they deserve nothing less than our best. Because of their gracious undertanding, all military members stand a bit prouder in the uniform. I know that I did.

So the next time a fellow American thanks you for your service, please reciprocate and thank them, from the bottom of your heart, for supporting you.