susan.charles@windstream.net

Lady bugs in the motorhome

We're having a problems with lady bugs in our motorhome. We haven't used it since the first of October, but I usually go in it 2 or 3 times a week. I take the hand vac and get 30 or 40 lady bugs out each time. I really don't want to spray insect killer in it because of the odor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get rid of them, other than spraying? I don't think they hurt anything, but we're planning to use it next weekend and I don't want bugs crawling around. Thanks for any suggestions. ccmsm

OK, disclaimer-- I am NOT an entomologist!

I did find this website with quite a lot of information on Lady Bugs: http://www.ladybuglady.com/LadybugsFAQ.htm

The good news: They eat NOTHING that is of interest to you (unless you have a pet aphid).

We have had them hatch out in an awning, but just asked them to leave and they did! Maybe they understood that we didn't have any pet aphids for them to graze on.

They are one of the "good" bugs-- they only eat other bugs, most of which are harmful.

Brett

I had to laugh when I read the title of your post. We spent August and September in Minnesota on my FIL's little farm. We got INVADED with them. We didn't spray either and when we left, we headed right into Arizona heat which certainly seemed to kill them off. We continued to see one once in a while for a few weeks but they're pretty much gone by now. Hopefully they won't be back next spring!

Sorry I don't have a solution to offer.... I can only share your pain.

Rick

I believe what you are encountering are not Ladybugs but an Asian Beetle imported (mistakenly) by the DNR to eat (I believe) some non-native weed like Purple Loosestrife or some bug like the Gypsy Moth. It backfired and now we have an overabundance of bugs that look like Ladybugs, stink when smashed, leave an orange stain, bite, and can form large swarms under any type of cover (and Ladybugs get the blame). They normally become noticable when we have Indian Summer.

I just came from the motorhome. Only found 3 today. I let the slides out yesterday and found bunches of them under the carpet where it overlaps onto the regular floor. I got the big vac out and probably got over a hundred. I will keep these websites hoping that I won't need them. Thanks for all your help. ccmsm

A couple grandkids with a hand vac usually works for me. Now if I can get rid of the pesky grandkids. :rolleyes:

Boy, that is a serious enough issue that we may need to start it a separate thread-- How To Get Rid Of Pesky Grandkids.

Don't know if any of the normal PESTicides work on grandkids. Maybe Ghost Busters can come slime them, no, never mind, they may enjoy that.

Brett

On 2/23/2021 at 5:12 AM, hermanmullins said:

Last post to this topic was November 22, 2010.

Herman 

And they are not ladybugs, they are Asian beetles. Lady bugs have smaller spots and do not bite.

Edited by rayin

I do the same thing for these as I do the stink bugs - try and find every possible entry point and block it. After that a small battery-powered vac is your friend. Just remember to empty it immediately or you'll find a stinky mess.