woodlodge

Which Workhorse Chassis Do I Have?

I have a Winnebago Brave 34D that I bought used. Needless to say, none of the manuals came with it.

I purchased the owners manual but no chassis manual.

I want to know what Workhorse chassis I have: the W22 or the W24. The sticker weight is 27,000 lb.

Where can I find the chassis info? unsure.gif

For the most complete information, to register your chassis with Workhorse and to check for any recalls affecting your chassis, call Workhorse with your chassis number: (877) 294-6773 or (248) 588-5300

You can also get the form to register on their website which would enable you to view the manuals on-line:

http://www.workhorse.com/Default.aspx?tabid=104

Brett

I am not sure what sticker weight you are talking about.

The W22 has a GVWR of 22,000 lbs. The W24 has a GVWR of 24000 lbs.

You can go here to get some info on your Brave. HERE

The options listed for your coach show the only WH chassis offered for your coach is the W20 which has a GVWR of 20700 lbs.

If you have 19.5 inch rims then that is for sure the chassis you have.

Yes, anything over 22,000 pounds for the W22 and 24,000 for the W24 would be GCWR (Gross COMBINED Weight Rating) which is the rating of the weight of the coach AND anything you pull behind it.

The 22,000 and 24,000 as Clay said are GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) or how much the coach can weigh.

Brett

Clay,

Thanks for the link. On page 6 of the brochure, it shows that the Ford chassis was standard, with the Workhorse W20 (20,500 pound GVWR and 26,000 GCWR) as the optional chassis.

Brett

The 6th letter in your VIN identifies your chassis.

6 = W22 chassis

A = W24 chassis

If yours is not a 6 or an A, please let me know what it is and I will let you know.

Ok conflicting info. I have the 19.5 in wheels but the the sixth character in my Vin # is 6 so now do I have the w22 or the w20 chassis? :rolleyes:

You have the W22. I will email you the workhorse Manual to decipher the rest of your VIN including the GVWR...which is the 4th digit.

If you still have the build sheet (usually stored in a closet wall or some other obscure place), you can usually go online and find the manuals at the vendor websites.

You have the W22. I will email you the workhorse Manual to decipher the rest of your VIN including the GVWR...which is the 4th digit.

As far as I can tell WH did not produce the W22 with 19.5 inch rims. The first six digits of my VIN are "5B4MP6" and I have a W20 chassis.

Thanks guys.

Since my mh is a 2003 with 19.5 tires I'm assuming I have the W20 chassis which was an option offered by WB in 2003.

I still plan on registering it with Workhorse so that I can download the chassis manual.

Thanks for all of the help/info-- it is greatly appreciated by us newbies. :rolleyes:

Absolutely, register with Workhorse.

Not only to access the manuals, but also to VERIFY what you have and check for any recalls affecting your chassis.

Brett

Please note that the 2003 chassis (W20 and W22) had a 2 inch front stabilizer shaft. Often called an anti sway bar. In September of 2003 WH changed to a 2.5 inch bar.

If your chassis has the 2 inch bar I would strongly recommend that you have the 2.5 inch bar installed. I did and it made a huge improvement in roll or side to side sway.

This is from an email I got from WH in 2005:

"The part number for the Front Stabilizer Bar with Brackets is: W0005643.

This bar was found to have an advantage over the original 2" bar, and was

put into regular production on 9/2/2003.

The installation is very straightforward. Remove 4 retaining nuts while

supporting bar, remove bar, hold new bar in position, reinstall 4 retaining

nuts, and torque to specification. This procedure is NOT meant to replace

the service manual, but is a generalized procedure.

The upgraded stabilizer bar has been shown to provide the following

benefits:

1. Reduced Body Roll when cornering.

2. Reduced "rocking" when passed by or passing large vehicles.

3. Reduced "rocking" when traversing bumps on an angle."

The installation procedure is below- I did not raise the coach, just crawled under it:

Stabilizer Shaft Replacement (Front) (W20/W22)

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist

2. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.

3. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring, and remove the stabilizer shaft from the vehicle.

4. Remove the clamps from the stabilizer shaft.

5. Remove the insulators from the stabilizer shaft.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the insulators to the stabilizer shaft.

2. Install the clamps to the stabilizer shaft.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices in the WCC Service Manual.

3. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring.

4. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.

Tighten

Tighten the stabilizer shaft clamp nuts to

373 N∙m (275 lb ft).

5. Lower the vehicle.

My drinking buddy who works for W tells me that there has been a HUGE recall of Workhorse chassis due to brake related problems, It would certainly be prudent if you have one to check it out. My understanding is the recall goes back to 2001-2002,,, sorry if this is a repost.

My drinking buddy who works for W tells me that there has been a HUGE recall of Workhorse chassis due to brake related problems, It would certainly be prudent if you have one to check it out. My understanding is the recall goes back to 2001-2002,,, sorry if this is a repost.

That's a good point, I should have mentioned that.

Woodlodge, if you register as the new owner with Workhorse you can see if the brake recall campaign is open or if it has been completed. You may be able to call them with your VIN and get the same info.

It's a good idea to register with them anyway so you will get any new recalls or other info sent to you. There was one other recall on the Actia instrument panel that may apply and should be done if it hasn't been.

I had the brake recall done in October. They installed four new calipers. The shop that did mine offered to replace the pads for the cost of the pads (about $170) - no labor charge since it was only a couple of minute job to replace them when the calipers were removed. In my case the pads still had close to 50 percent remaining at 46,000 miles so I did not have them replaced.

Finally registered my MH with with Workhorse and found that the brakes are on the recall and haven't been done.

Plan on doing this before I start traveling again in the spring. I live in SE Ohio. Does anyone have an opinion on where I should go to do this. I was on the Workhorse website and the nearest place they have listed is in Columbus which is over 100 miles away. Surely there is a closer one.

We had a 2001 Newmar Kountry Star on a W-22 chassis. Never had the recall's brake issues. WH at first using, our VIN, said no recall affected us. 3 month's later they sent letters saying it did. Had calipers replaced at WH dealer.

Now we are buying a 2005 Fleetwood Southwind, 32', on a WH chassis W/ 19.5 tires. Will check the VIN for chassis.

Is there another newer brake recall out on the 05's and later, as my dealer knows nothing.

Gerry Jo

HI Folks

We have a 2003 Brave 34D also.

Do you folks still have yours?

Would love to trade info and discuss any changes you have made.

Currently doing a rebuild on my Instrument Cluster to get rid of the the faulty LCD screen.

X2 to ClayL's suggestion to go to the larger front sway bar. I upgraded my 2003 W22 and it did make a difference. I also went to a home made trac bar, plans were on Omey's website which has a lot of info for workhorse. The trac bar made a huge difference and my cost was about $50.00