nitehawk

Too Many TV Antennas

We purchased a class A this last August. It has a Winegard antenna(original equipment--still functional), a Kingdome(new in 2009--still functional) and a Dish Network antenna(all co-ax and wires cut coming out of unit--not functional)

I worry about the Dish Network antenna leaking around the fasteners. Are they bolts or lag screws? They have hex heads. The roof is fiberglass. The coach is a Foretravel.

I found no controls for the Dish Antenna and there is nothing inside on the ceiling for controlling or raising/lowering.

Should I remove the antenna and replace the bolts/screws using sealant or just plug the holes with sealant or just leave everything alone until it shows signs of deteriorating sealant or leaks?

I went through this exact same process last year when I replace an original non-working Datron dish and Wingard crank up antenna with a Kingdome dish/off-air antenna in one unit-- also on a Foretravel, also with FG roof.

My decision was to remove the obsolete equipment and plug the holes, including the large center hole for the Wingard crank up antenna. I cut wood plugs for the large holes, masked off the holes and used West System Epoxy and FG cloth to seal all the holes. Sanded smooth and painted with Rust-Oleum "Universal Advanced Formula" "Gloss Pure White" (245199).

You could also just remove the old screws and apply new caulk to them and rebed after removing the equipment. Not sure I would be comfortable just filling a large diameter hole with caulk alone. You do not want to take a chance on getting water into the plywood underlay that supports the FG.

Brett

Guest BillAdams

Can you tell us more about the Dish Network antenna? Does this have a name brand? Do the wires that are cut appear as though they went into the coach somewhere? You may not have a big hole to fill and if so, you can just unscrew the screws (most likely just a simple #10 or similar sheet metal screw), use a scraper/chisel to get around the caulk on the base and break the roof seal. Once removed, clean up the area as much as you want. If silicone was used then use silicone to seal it back up. If a lap sealant was used then use lap sealant. The 2 types of caulk are not at all compatible. Once it's clean, put a dab of caulk in the hole and push it in with your finger. Leave a bit of a dab of caulk above the hole and screw a screw in followed by caulk over the top.

Thanks Brett and Bill,

Right now I have about 3" of really crappy cold white stuff on the roof so I will wait until warmer weather.

There is no name on the dish and the cables are cut off where they come out from under the base and head toward where the Kingdome cables go. So I think the cables originally went into the coach where the Kingdome cables go now.

I don't think there is any large hole under the dish base as there is nothing in the coach ceiling below the dish.

My current project is putting the 42" snowblower on the lawn tractor. We were going to head south but the DW will need her gall bladder removed right after Christmas. Then time to heal so trip is, in all probability, off.

Guest BillAdams
Thanks Brett and Bill,

Right now I have about 3" of really crappy cold white stuff on the roof so I will wait until warmer weather.

There is no name on the dish and the cables are cut off where they come out from under the base and head toward where the Kingdome cables go. So I think the cables originally went into the coach where the Kingdome cables go now.

I don't think there is any large hole under the dish base as there is nothing in the coach ceiling below the dish.

My current project is putting the 42" snowblower on the lawn tractor. We were going to head south but the DW will need her gall bladder removed right after Christmas. Then time to heal so trip is, in all probability, off.

If you get a chance on a warm day, snap a picture and let us see what you have there.

Guest Wayne77590

Well in that case I'd send the DW up to snap the pictures.

Couldn't resist.

I have used this stuff and it works great. eternabond Just remove the unwanted roof object, clean up the old putty, fill the holes, clean around the area and put the eternabond on the area. Caution, once this stuff is down it wants to stay forever. By the way, I have no connection with this company.

Ward