shields

Two 110 Volt Outlets Inoperative

We have a 1997 Monaco Dynasty with a 7500 KW Onan genset. The coach runs on 50 amp service. The entire electrical system has worked flawlessly until this trip. The problem is that two of the 110 volt duplex outlets are suddenly inoperative. There is no power to them either with the genset, the inverter, or on shore power.

These two outlets run the microwave oven and the washer/dryer. There is no voltage to either of them. Both are on the same side of the coach and are on different circuits. The microwave is on a 20 amp breaker, and the washer/dryer is on a 30 amp breaker.

I checked and reset all the breakers, checked and reset all the GFI's, reset the breakers on the genset, and reset the switches on the inverter; none were tripped. None of those actions changed anything.

Every other duplex on the coach is working fine. All have proper voltage the the polarity and grounds checked out fine. At this point, I'm without further ideas other than starting to open the wiring. Do any of you have suggestions before I engage an electrician?

Thanks so much!

Tim and Beth Shields

Do you have a 120 VAC wiring schematic for your coach? If so, see if the non-working outlets have any points in common. While it could be two separate causes, start by tracing the wiring diagram back from the failed outlets.

A bad GFI is a common issue.

Start by unplugging any appliance in those outlets. It is possible that one DOES have a ground fault. Reset the GFI and test with another appliance or voltmeter.

If that doesn't do it, it could still be a bad GFI. If so, resetting it may not be enough-- you may have to replace it.

IF, repeat IF you are safe working with 120 VAC, unplug from shore power/turn off generator. Remove the GFI enough that you can check it with a voltmeter. Turn on 120 VAC (plug into shore power or turn on generator). Check in and out sides?

Another reasonable possibility is a loose connection.

Brett

Tim

It seems that I had lost power and checked everything. I found a reset button on the inverter was tripped. You might find the resets on the inverter and check there was two on the side of mine. Also I would check all gfi circuits as some outlets are wired from another location. Hope this helps.

Steve Mosher

09 Camelot

According to my research there are three GFIs in your unit. One in the Galley, one in a storage bay and one in the bathroom. Did you find and check all three?

I wanted to let you all know how things worked out, and say THANK YOU for the advice.

As many of you guessed, the two problems had two causes. As to the washer/dryer, Monaco installs a switch to direct power either (1) to that w/d outlet, or (2) to another outlet for an optional dishwasher. The unmarked selector switch is buried in an overhead cabinet above the dinnette, and had gotten bumped to the wrong setting somehow. I repositioned the switch and got power to the w/d.

As to the lack of power to the microwave, we found the trouble upstream in the circuit and corrected without much of a challenge.

Once again, thanks for all the help; it's most appreciated.

Tim and Beth Shields

Tim,

I got into this thread late, but glad to hear you got everything going again.

Regarding "... the washer/dryer is on a 30 amp breaker", I'm curious what type of outlet is fed by that 30 breaker. Do you have a combination washer/dryer or a stack of separate washer and dryer. If the latter, do you have 2 different outlets in the WD area?

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

We have a combination washer/dryer. It is fed with a regular three-prong duplex outlet. I hope this helps.

Tim Shields