Can anyone tell me if it is ok to pull an VW Beetle or Golf, standard shift all 4 wheels down? And do this without adding transmission pumps for oil circulation? Tom

Welcome to the Forum. There should be no problem pulling any standard shift transmission auto.

1) Check the FMCA dingy towing guides. There, you can find your year auto and look for your make.

2) Check the Web for Tow Bars and Base plates.

3) Have it installed buy someone that is familer with tow bars and RV's.

4) Then Hook UP and go RVing.

Happy Traveling tsmithers

There should be no problem pulling any standard shift transmission auto.

tsmithers

Herman,

Wish that were true. But there are many manual transmission vehicles that the manufacturers have deemed as NOT towable 4 wheels down. All Mazdas for example.

Please do refer to the FMCA website Hermann mentioned for list of vehicles approved by their manufacturer.

Could some that are not on the list be towable-- sure. The manufacturer could even say they are not towable to avoid the liability even though mechanically they can be towed.

The VW MAY fall into that category.

Brett

Herman,

Wish that were true. But there are many manual transmission vehicles that the manufacturers have deemed as NOT towable 4 wheels down. All Mazdas for example.

Please do refer to the FMCA website Hermann mentioned for list of vehicles approved by their manufacturer.

Could some that are not on the list be towable-- sure. The manufacturer could even say they are not towable to avoid the liability even though mechanically they can be towed.

The VW MAY fall into that category.

Brett

Understood. I looked up VW Beetles from 1970 thru 2008 with Blue Ox, and although it is not listed as towable they do make base plates for the Beetle.

I feel as you do that VW does not want the liability. But like everyone I have seen many being towed, to the beach, the deer lease and Rallies.

Keep up your good work.

I am sure you are well aware of this, but there is no resemblance mechanically between the old air cooled rear engine Beetles and the new front wheel drive units.

Brett

We TOAD a 2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual Transmission, no problem. And the newer Beatles are built on the same "Platform" as the Jetta's, so the same would apply.

I have a new 2015 Gold Sportwagen TDI automatic. Bought it four months before they released the information on the smog issue. I would like to tow it and have resigned myself to a car dolly. But, it has electric steering assist and the owners manual says you have to leave the ignition on while towing. Does anyone else have any experience with this new tech on this car and I've seen it on others too?

The manufacturer's name of the game is CYA...all these decisions are based on what the lawyers tell the decision makers.

1 hour ago, screenman said:

I have a new 2015 Gold Sportwagen TDI automatic. Bought it four months before they released the information on the smog issue. I would like to tow it and have resigned myself to a car dolly. But, it has electric steering assist and the owners manual says you have to leave the ignition on while towing. Does anyone else have any experience with this new tech on this car and I've seen it on others too?

I have to have my ignition on (but all the way to the left) while towing.   I get around battery issues by installing a charge wire that charges the battery from my coach.  Don't take that as that it's OK to pull your car...there are other reasons that it might not be able to be towed.  As mentioned, go to the FMCA files or go to http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/ and see what they say.

No one has asked the year model would like to tow vehicles...So what year are they...all important? I am a VW guy and Brett you cut your teeth on these.

Bill

Sure, What year are the VWs to be towed, ie early or late. I have several 90s and early 2000s that I have flat towed no problems. I was not making an assumption that it was a late production car. The age of the VW could make a difference.  Asking if something can be towed without all the info is like asking what kind of antifreeze I should use with out giving the type of engine, gas or diesel and its relative age. Or requesting the price of a set of tires with out telling the sales guy what they fit. I hope that helps Carl. My apologies for the ambiguous question. It made complete sense to me when I wrote it...too many G&Ts? I read it again and if I were to have added "they" before would, it probably would have made more sense. I will pay more attention in the future...Glad to see you are reading it all...

B