woodlodge

Falling Clothes

No, clothes aren't falling off of us but they are falling off of the clothes rod in the hanging closet.

DW would like to know if there is any way to stop this. our closet runs across the width of the rear of the MH. I have contemplated adding a cover bar to rest on the top of the hangers when were in motion but figure someone has already invented something like this. If i just knew where to look.. any help or ideas would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

Do you mean that the hangers with the clothes still on them are falling off? If so, go to Camping World. They have plastic hangers with tops that wrap around the rod and easily snap lightly over the rod. They are still fairly easy to hang on the rod and take off. I use them and they have worked great.

If the problem is that the clothes are falling off the hangers, try clothes pins. Never tried this, but they should work with the stuff that falls off.

Good luck.

A FMCA member suggested to us to use a compression shower rod to stop this. We installed one just in front and sightly above the permanent rod. These rods are reasonably priced at WalMart and easy to install. Just twist the rod to compress the internal spring between the side walls. When we installed a rod, we did see a reduction in dropped hangers; but it did not totally elimnate the problem and there is sone inconvenience to remove the rod when you want to unhook a hanger.

Another FMCA member stated that they had the same problem untill they started placing the hangers on the rod in reverse. This takes a little getting use to, but does seem to work without any expense.

Just carry a lot of hanging cloths so that they can't sway back and forth. I have traveled for many years (by car) in my job. My cloths rod in the back of my SUV let my cloths slide back and forth both blocking my rear view and droping them. I have done several things: I have put rubber rings on the rod in several places so the hangers can more very little. I have put rubber bands on the rod for the same purpose. I have seen plastic tubes that are ribbed that go over the rod for the purpose of stopping the hangers from sliding. A bungee cord pulled tight over the rod might hold the hangers from jumping off also.

Good luck and keep your clothes on (the rod).

When we traveled in Alaska we learned about "closet dumpers." Those frost induced dips in the road that take the motor home down through a trough and then up again. If you drive over 40 or 45 miles per hour through these dips, they dump the clothes hangers off the rod onto the floor. This happened in 5th wheels as well as motor homes. We learned to watch the road and anticipate these dips and after two incidents, we had no more problems - simply slow down.

Your coach is seven years old and you might check the condition of your shock absorbers. They should be reducing the bouncing of the rear of the coach. If this problem has just started becoming more common, perhaps it is the wear on the shock absorbers which are responsible.

I'm sure that some motor homes are more prone to this than others. If the distance behind the rear axle is greater, bumps will be exaggerated in the rear of the motor home. Our motor home has a fairly short distance between the rear axle and the closet in the rear of the motor home. Being a diesel, that weight may also help stabilize the rear of the motor home.

So I don't have tricks of the trade other than to slow down on rough and irregular roads and perhaps check your shocks.

Guest Wayne77590

Our MH came with a plastic cover that was identified in an earlier post. I'll wager that they are probably obtainable at a hardware store. They are sort of corrugated. A temporary, and maybe permanent solution, is to go buy a single strand wire at radio shack, probably 14 or 16 gauge and make one continuous wrap, tightly, around your rod and secure the ends. Leave about a hanger hook width between wraps. Another way would be to use a hot glue gun and, with all the hangers removed, place a bead of hot glue, about 1 inch long, on the top of the bar appropriately spaced. Also, you may be able to use a small finish nail, spaced about 3 or 4 inches apart to keep groups of clothes together. How about electrical tie tie wraps? They come in various widths and lengths.

Just thinking of the top of my skull.

Oh, you could tell the driver to slow down!! LOL

Try putting a piece of pipe insulation over the clothes rod and then put the hangers on. Another method is put the pipe insulation over a piece of pipe mounted above the closet clothes rod. Hangers would then be inserted between clothes rod and foam insulation.

nitehawk