edraff

Changing Engine Belts

I have an 07 Fleetwood Providence with 350 hp Cat. engine. Radiator is in rear. Would like to change engine belts. Not sure how to even get to the belts. Looks like removing the air filter and approaching from the side may be best? Anyone have suggestions.

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You have two belts:

Caterpillar water pump belt-- from any Caterpillar dealer.

Serpentine belt-- speced by Freightliner, as they speced the alternator and A/C compressor that the serpentine belt drives.

The serpentine belt has an automatic belt tensioner with square recess. A rachet (no socket) will relieve the tensioner tension and allow the serpentine belt to be removed/replaced.

The"inner" water pump belt has a standard adjustable tensioner. Loosen the bolt in the slotted portion and sightly loosen the bolt at the tensioner's pivot point. Remove and replace the water pump belt. Tension properly (not too tight), then fit the serpentine belt. De-tension the serpentine belt tensioner and position the belt over the tensioner. Verify that the serpentine belt is properly centered on all pulleys.

And absolutely, with a rear radiator, access is difficult. Mirrors and three hands help.

Brett

Hi edraff,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. I had the belts changed earlier this year in my rear radiator coach. Normally I'd do this kind of preventative maintenance. However, after looking at what is involved, I decided I would give myself a present and have a Cummins shop do the work. I watched the techs (notice the plural) do the job. With a top man and a bottom man it still took them 45 minutes to get the belts changed. I kept the old belts for emergency purposes. I figure If I have the part I'll never need it.

With a rear radiator coach, consider letting the pros do the belt change.