tmoning

Toll Paying on Florida's Turnpike

Question

9 answers to this question

Here are some things to consider about the current situation on the Florida Turnpike. First, Toll-By-Plate is new and only available on a very limited section of the Turnpike. If you only access this section (mile 47 and south), you can use TBP but I have to wonder why anybody would want to do so. Toll-By-Plate will charge you an administrative fee unless you setup a pre-paid account. If you are going to go to all the trouble to do that, why not just setup a SunPass account and install transponders in your vehicles. I also question how well TBP will work and suspect this is why the Turnpike Authority is doing a test run first. For example, how will TBP work when you are towing and car or trailer and your tow vehicle plate is obscured? I suspect that many motorist are likely to get toll violation letters which they will then have to deal with.

My advice is to get SunPass. Even if you only travel the Turnpike once in your life, SunPass is a good investment. The mini transponder only cost $4.99 and they give you a $4.99 toll credit. Setup an account backed by a credit card or bank account and the system will automatically refill your account when it gets low. You set the balance at which refill occurs and the amount to be refilled.

A couple of gotchas:

If you are going to travel a long section of the Turnpike, and especially in a mult-axle vehicle, make sure you have an adequate balance in the account.

If you are towing a vehicle you don't want to get charged twice on two transponders. If the system sees two transponders go through it will usually charge both for the total axle count of the vehicle. So, if you want to have a separate transponder for your tow vehicle (for independent travel like side trips) you will need to get the portable, not the mini transponder. The mini transponder is a small credit card like device that affixes with adhesive to the windshield and is destroyed if removed. The portable transponder is bigger, and cost more (about $20 I think-sorry no toll credit) but you affix it to the window with suction cups. This way you can remove the transponder from the tow vehicle window when it is being towed so you don't get double charged. On request, the Turnpike Authority will send you a metalic bag to put the transponder in so it doesn't receive the toll signals. The other advantage of the portable is that you can move it from vehicle to vehicle, including rentals and friends cars. You could, of course, just use one portable and move it between the motorhome and your tow vehicle as required but I find that to be a pain. You also have to replace the batteries in the portable when it gets low.

Hope that helps. We live in Florida and travel the Turnpike almost daily. The new high-speed lanes are awesome though they (like TBP) aren't in place everywhere on the Turnpike yet. Where they are though it's great. You just keep moving at highway speed and the system debits your account. I can't imagine why anybody would waste time sitting in line to pay a toll anymore.

As a frequent traveler in few states, I'm looking for a system that is national, one transponder for every toll road, border to border. Come to think of it, why not Canada also? If the states can get together and have multi-state lotteries, why not universal toll collection systems?

If I return to Florida and use the toll roads, I'll be in the cash only lane!

Anyone know if the Florida system will 'accept' the IL IPASS? I know they have reciprical agreements with other states.

Guest BillAdams
If you are going to travel a long section of the Turnpike, and especially in a mult-axle vehicle, make sure you have an adequate balance in the account.

So, if you want to have a separate transponder for your tow vehicle (for independent travel like side trips) you will need to get the portable, not the mini transponder. The mini transponder is a small credit card like device that affixes with adhesive to the windshield and is destroyed if removed. The portable transponder is bigger, and cost more (about $20 I think-sorry no toll credit) but you affix it to the window with suction cups.

So. what if I take a piece of plexiglass and attach 2 suction cups to this. Now, I attach the mini transponder to the plexiglass and use that in the tow vehicle. I can take it off and wrap it in foil (or their bag) and still get the $4.99 cost and $4.99 credit. Any reason that would not work?

Now, how do I set up the RV? 3 axles for the transponder but I will almost always be towing so do I set it up for 5 axle and just suck it up if I happen to not be towing? We are heading to FL in Feb. for the Brooksville rally and will likely be in FL for about a month.

Hi Bill,

Go to http://www.turnpikeinfo.com/florida/tolls/sunPass.php and read about the mini. It explains why the mini needs to be stuck to the windshield.

Go to http://www.floridasturnpike.com/TRI/index.htm to read about the tolls for different axle vehicles.

I have been told, by the Turnpike people, the axle count is done based on the timing of the axles traveling over a measuring point. I was never asked how many axles the vehicles have when I got my Sun Passes (I have 3). Since an axle count is done at the time of entry, the "set up" may be a moot point.

Just in case you are wondering, from a toll point of view it is cheaper to drive the coach and toad separately through the toll points. When I am towing, I get charged more than if the vehicles were separate.

Guest BillAdams
Just in case you are wondering, from a toll point of view it is cheaper to drive the coach and toad separately through the toll points. When I am towing, I get charged more than if the vehicles were separate.

I believe that's true everywhere. I pretty much get charged the same as an 18-wheel at every toll booth we visit. It's very frustrating.

I will take a look at the links.

Thanks.

Guest BillAdams
Seems to me that the Florida Turnpike is a place to avoid!

No, the FL Turnpike is an excellent way to get from one point to another if you travel through FL.