Guest Wayne77590

Hmm! PT50C Surge Device

Guest Wayne77590

Just before leaving Texas I had a Progressive Industries PT50C Surge/Voltage protector shipped to the stick house. I have 50 Amps at the stick house and tested it out. It worked fine. We left on our trip and I used it in Gulfport, and Pensacola.

When we arrived in Mayport, I again set it up. Came in and shut the generator off and the AC continues to hum. Everything appears normal. So i'm outside continuing the set up and Earlene steps out and tells me whe do not have any plugs working. Her way of saying that the 110V receptacles are dead. So I come in and try the two GFCI resets but to no avail.

Now I start looking at circuit breakers, fuses, and anything else I can find - but no voltage at the outlets. Another look at the PT50C digital readout indicates the code E-0, which means normal operations. Line1 has 119V, Line 2 has 120 V. Line 1 is drawing 0 amps, and line 2 is drawing 21 amps (AC running). So every thing appears normal. I recheck all circuit breakers. Everything is normal, but there is no voltage to the outlets.

So, my dear wife says, "Did you try it without that gadget?" I retorted, "No, there is nothing wrong with that device!!!!"
Well just to satisfy her (and just in case) I went outside, tripped the breaker off, unplugged the PT50C, plug in the umbilical cord to the coach directly into the 50 amp socket, and turned the breaker back on.

The darn receptacles worked. It was a few hours before Earlene siad, "I told you so!" but not exactly in those words.

Anyone, anyone have had this happen and discovered the reason?

I have contacted Progressive Industries. I will have a new PT50C by Friday. I'm anxious to see if it will wrok. Progressive Industries is baffled also and when it is returned they will investigate to see what, if anything, happened.

I'm in the process of orderering one of the PI PT50C Surge/Voltage regulators, and do not have any direct experience with one (sorry). Please keep us posted on the new unit once it is received and plugged in.

Guest Wayne77590

I received it today, but don't want to shut down until DW is on her two mile walk tomorrow with Miya the pup. Hee! Hee! It also keeps me from having to walk!!

Can't you just hear the conversation:

"Dear, I'll have to shut down all systems, including the air conditioning, but don't worry, I'll have it back up and running by the time you get back. Sorry, I can't go with you. (hee! hee!)

Guest Wayne77590

Update #1 - Well, went out while DW was exercising (Hee! Hee!) and installed the new PT50C received yesterday. I plugged it into the pedestal and switched it on. Everything reads correctly, E-0, 0-A and 116V on both lines. Turned the breaker off, plugged in the umbilical cord, waited for the "snap," and went inside to find EVERYTHING WORKING. Yeah!

I called Progressive Industries and left a message. The old one will be in the FedEx system today and I asked for a follow up on what was wrong.

Stay tuned!

Guest Wayne77590

I thought you would like that price.

And it is backed by the Progressive Industries warranty.

Good luck

My PT50 is hardwired in line and has been for 7 years and I can't tell you how many times and how many ways it has protected me. It gets a little irritating when it shuts the power down, but when it does there is usually an error code to tell you the reason.

We also have a PT50C for our coach. Works like a champ and I wouldnt be without it......cheap insurance! It has tripped on us once and we had a low voltage on 1 leg in a campground. I'm sure it kept out heatpumps from being damaged with a "brown-out" situatiuon. There wasn't another spot to move to at the time, so we used the 30 amp plug that had no voltage issues. Between the PT50C and the onboard EMS system life was once again good. I think we would have killed or hurt 1 or both of our heatpumps had we not had the PT50C in line. I did hear the coachs pumps next to me labor at times, probably due to the low voltage.

I also have a PT50C, have had it less than 2 years and it's needed repair 3 times.

1st time it said the neutral and ground were reversed when the source was fine, next time it seemed to work OK but had EEEE in the readout, the last time it said the power source was too low, 80 volts, my meter confirmed the source was fine.

Both of the last times the tech argued with me, said the PT50C doesn't ever say EEEE and the last time he said my meter was wrong because they calibrate it before they ship them from the factory.

all 3 times they did repair it under warranty but the last 2 times i had to ship in and be without while they repaired it.

I've read a bunch of great things about Progressive Ind and their products so I'd like to think I just have a bad unit.

Guest Wayne77590

Brian,

Every product can have a "lemon." I'd talk to progressive if you are not happy and see what they can do to replace it. I would hope that they would come to some agreement with you.

Mr. Wilson,

Call progressive and ask them if there are not responses to your question here. I have found them very friendly when i talked to them.

Mr. Fanelli replied to my email and I have added his response below.

The Hughes should be closest to the power pole.

Thomas E. Fanelli, President

Progressive Industries

414B Airport Boulevard

Morrisville, NC 27560

(919) 462-8280

fax: 919-462-6132

tfanelli@progressiveindustries.net

Based on this it appears that an autotransformer will work with this unit. I will let you all know when I get to the Ralley in Albuquerque next month.

After considering both the portable and the hard wired surge protector units from Progressive Industries, I'm considering getting the EMS-PT50C portable unit.

I'd like to hear from owners of the portable unit. Any downside to using it? Do you feel it's secure by locking it to the power pedestal?

I'm thinking perhaps of cutting the shore cord inside the bay near the transfer switch, putting male & female plugs the cord, then plugging in the EMS unit in the bay. I could then bypass the unit if it ever failed and had to be sent back for repair.

I appreciate all thoughts and opinions.

I have been using the Portable PT50C since 2007 and I use a piece of chain (one that can tow a car) placed around the pedistal and whatever else is near the pedistal, like water spigot. I have never had a problem with it walking off. If someone wants it they would have to use a hacksaw or bolt cutters. It is just something I do. I have been in campgrounds where owners of PT50C's have no provision for securing it. Apparently they have not had any problems either. I prefer to secure my outside expensive items.

As for downsides, other than securing it, I don't have any. I leave it connected to the power cord and just stow it that way. When I pull in it just one thing to plug in and it is ready. I have moved it from a 5th wheel to the Class A and all that was required was to unplug from one and plug into the other. With the permanent model you can take it with you but it is a more difficlut operation.

Consider that some, including myself, have had warranty problems. It is a lot easier to send in the PT50C then the one that needs permanent mounting. Just saying.

Both are great addtions to any RV.