t.o.salter@gmail.com

Winter vs. Slide Outs

We're new to RVing and plan to leave NE Michigan for points south just after the first of the new year. We will be traveling in a Class A coach with three slide outs. We have access to all but the rear wardrobe closet with the slide outs in, but things are a bit cramped. Considering winter weather and its effect on slide out seals and the fabric of the awnings that roll out over the slide outs, under what conditions should the slideouts not be extended? Will the heat inside the coach keep the seals workable? What about retracting slideouts in cold weather? We would appreciate anyone's advise.

You can lubricate the seals and they should work fine in cold weather. I have used my slides in 10 degree weather and although the slide moves a little slower, it still works.

Guest BillAdams

I don't have slides so I can't help with details, but we have seen several cases where folks had their slides out when freezing rain swept through. There was no getting the slides back in without a lot of work getting the ice on the awning off. It was a real pain. Other than weather issues (not just heat or cold) you should be able to use your coach without issue anytime of year.

We were in South Carolina one winter, Spartinburg, and woke up to ice on the windshield and of course the slide out covers. I went out and watched as Louise brought them in. We had no problems, the ice pealed off as the fabric rolled over the roller. I had her go slow and stop periodically to be sure everything was rolling properly. I guess we were lucky, probably warm enough to allow the ice to break loose. We've also had snow on our slide outs and retracted without problems. If you are flexible with your travel days, watch the weather channel and try to pick a weather window when there are no big storms in the center of the country and then head straight south to the Gulf before going east or west.

I have had snow 3 to 4 inches on top of the slide out covers 2 to 3 times in the past. I try to get up on top of the coach and sweep the snow off of the covers before retracting the slides. A lot of snow will cause the cover to pinch between the slide lip and the side of the coach as it is retracted.

I would agree about keeping a flexible travel schedule during the winter months. Arriving a few days later but safely is always a better alternative to damage or having an accident because of the weather.

frank

a full timer.

Guest BillAdams

Remember that the most dangerous thing an RVer can do is go up on the roof. If you can avoid this, please do so. If you cannot avoid this then please be very, very careful.

Quite familar with cold weather and slides will not perform well, let us say below 20 degrees. There is no hydraulic oil heater on motorhomes so when operating the hydraulics you are putting a lot of pressure on the cylinders and lines so of course the slides will operate slowly. No amount of interior heat will help your seals or operation of your slide. Also the awnings(or slide toppers) will be frozen so again this will cause serious problems.

Best thing on an overnight stay is not to use the hydraulics when in extreme freezing conditions. An electric bedroom slide can be used but retract before the outside temperature gets worse.