DreamBelievers

US Gear Toad Braking System

Happy Holidays to all.

My question is this: does anyone have info/experience with the US Gear braking system?

Sounds like a more extensive type of system and maybe a bit more control.

Any info would be welcomed.

Thanks

Gary

Hi DreamBelievers,

I've had the USGEAR system on my coach and toad for 6 years. It works as advertised and I would make the same purchase again.

Thanks Dean & Herman. I will look into the the M&G systemas well. It is a bit cheaper and being from the trucking industry, I kinda like the air brake system installed in the toad. Thanks again, and any more replies, pro or con will still be welcomed. Gary

Guest BillAdams

We have had an M&G braking system on our toad for over 10 years and I wouldn't have anything else. The air connection takes 1 second and you are done. We tow a full size extended van that can exceed 8,000# and the brakes work just the same as if we were driving it. It's fully proportional so the more I brake the more the van brakes. We had to tow briefly without the system when we bought a new van and you could really feel the difference. Stopping was longer and you could really feel the push of the van. It was nice to get it re-installed. We have driven approx. 200,000 miles with the M&G system in place. We never did install the optional break-away system, but I would recommend that you seriously take a look at that option should you go that route.

Are there dealers for M&G systems in Ontario Canada ? This unit sounds very effective and easy ?

I would contact M&G and ask-- see Herman's post above with their website.

Brett

Gary,

We installed a US Gear proportional brake system and have been very happy with the results. Our coach is a 40' Monaco Dynasty and we use a full size Ford Bronco as the toad.

The US Gear system includes an auxiliary vacuum pump which allows the brake pedal on the toad to be activated with slight pulling pressure from a small cable mounted to the back side of the brake pedal. The whole installation in invisible in the toad and there is nothing to set up or install when you want to put the toad behind the coach.

I don't have any experience with the other brand suggested in the discussions above, but can report that we are happy with our choice of the US Gear system and would purchase it again.

Good luck.

Tim Shields

The MG braking system has a very simple theory. All braking systems that apply pressure to the brake pedel all have one big problem. Have you ever tried to stop your vehicle (with power brakes) with out the engine running. Next to impossiable. I had a long talk with the inventor of the MG unit. The braking unit is a small cylinder that is placed between the power brake booster and the master cylinder. When you apply your brake in the coach it applys the same pressure on the master cylinder.

When you are ready to tow all you have to do is plug in your air hose and safty line. There is nothing to pick up put in between the seat and pedel and to plug into a power sorce. You do not have to pull any fuses nor have to worry about the unit shifting and appling pressure to the pedel and burning out your brakes and possiable fire.

When I had the MG system installed on my Yukon XL the cost was quoted to be $1208.00. The young man that was making the installation asked if I would like a remanufactured unit for $875.00. The differance was the new unit has a lifetime warrenty where the remanf. unit only has a 5 years warrenty. I opped for the 5 yr. They had me out of their shop (in Athens, TX) in less then an hour.

As you can see I would make a good spokesman for them.

Check them out.

Gary,

We've been using the M&G system since 1995 on three different towed trucks from 3500 lbs to 8000+ lbs. As Bill said, you quick connect an air line between the coach and the towed vehicle. And your done. Nothing to mount; no fuses to pull; no adjustments. And no pumps, connectors or wiring. I have found it easy to install and I'm not a professional mechanic. Their instructions are simple and concise. And it can be used on either a hydraulic brake or air brake coach.

The only downside to M&G is they don't have air cylinders for some smaller towed vehicles.

Chuck

Thank you all for your very informative responses. The glowing recomendations have also helped me to make a decision. I will let you all know which one I choose and why when I make the puchase, thanks again and Happy New Year to all, Gary

I too have the M&G system, the only one that made any sense to me. It apples brakes proportional to your application of the brakes in the coach. Of course you have to have a coach with air brakes. It does not brake the toad when you use engine braking but this is probably a good thing.