Sign in to follow this  
sydmargo

Outside Portable Pet Fencing

I recently saw a motorhome in our campground which had a portable fencing system that surrounded the entire awning area. It was only about 18 inches high so you could step over it. I just bought a toy poodle and it would be just what I need to sit out with her. Does anyone know where I can get this type of portable fence system? I checked all the major Pet Stores. I believe the people got it on line.

:rolleyes:

Syd Emmons

You might want to try the site below. It is not too large but you could probably buy 2 and hook them together. They are cheap enough to do that. Also, make note that some CG's do not allow pens. And, none of them allow the pet to be unattended in the pen. If you were camped in a wilderness area, coyotes would love a tasty little poodle. Always attend to your animal.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=x...ed=0CDsQ8gIwAw#

Syd,

Dog-show people call these things excercise pens (x-pens for short) and you can get them at all kinds of places - even Walmart. If there are any dog show in your area, they usually have vendors welling all this stuff. We show Alaskan Malamutes and during the 30 years or so we have been showing, we came to a few conclusions:

1. Regardless of how small a dog is, if you try to set up an x-pen without a top, the dog will move the x-pan around. This is probably not an issue for you, but if you purchase some panels to go along with the x-pan, you can make a top. This might also discourage Wiley Coyote.

2. X-pens are (typically) made up of eight 2' panels. You use snaps to connect the first and last panel. Some (the ones we use) are eight 2' wide panels which are connected. One of them has a door. We find that this is more secure, for our big mutts, but you probably won't need that type.

3. Get good-quality snaps (the brass ones are best) to connect the ends and the top, if you get one.

4. Get a good-quality stainless steel water bucket (they make little ones for dogs) and be sure to clip it to the side of the x-pen, or your puppy will knock it over.

5. Invest in a mat to go under the x-pen, or your puppy will either dig in the grass, or get dirty from the backtop depending on the surface.

Good luck!

John

Those pens are readily available at various places. We have two of them. I've never had a problem with our pets moving the pen around, but they are small Bichons. Perhaps larger dogs could move them. I've also never seen the need for a top, but to each his own.

GM

I recently saw a motorhome in our campground which had a portable fencing system that surrounded the entire awning area. It was only about 18 inches high so you could step over it. I just bought a toy poodle and it would be just what I need to sit out with her. Does anyone know where I can get this type of portable fence system? I checked all the major Pet Stores. I believe the people got it on line.

:rolleyes:

Syd Emmons

We have portable fence that is 4 feet high. it is held in place with tent stakes. Our large Golden used to stand up against it and it never moved. It is available at Pet Smart Stores. It is called show pen and comes in sections.

Diplomatman2002

We use the 4' high pen from Pet Smart as well - we don't ever leave our dogs outside in it when we are not right with them so 'escaping' hasn't been an issue - we look at it as letting us hang around outside w/o leashing the dogs to our chairs or whatever - some parks do not allow these but most do not have a problem with it, in our experience.