finhawk

Nellis AFB Family Camp Rate Increase

They've done it again. For the past 3 years, the rate has been increased by a dollar a day. But this year there is a new twist. In the past, a club member would receive a 10% discount, this year it was cut to 5%. There has been no change in services or improvements to the campground. So now we're at $21 dollars a day minus 5%. If history is any indication, we'll just be paying more for and receiving the same thing. It seems like the same old MWR ploy of taking a money making facility and bleeding it to support those that are in the hole.

I'm sure that some one will say, "If ya don't like it, stay away." That's an outstanding idea, I must admit!

Guest Wayne77590

I think that the military could take exception to inflation. After all, it is either the active duty service members, or retired service members that can take advantage of the savings that these activities are there to provide. They do not build a recreational facility on a military installation to make money, they do it to support the underpaid service members who cannot afford the off base market. As Bruce pointed out, the camping facilities on a lot of the military installations bail out the other MWR (Moral, Welfare & Recreation--(think of those words)) activities.

While the active duty military may get a 1.4% pay raise, the retiree will not see any raise for the next 3 years, as it stands now. So why hasten to raise facility access rates. In the camping world it is more the retirees why can enjoy that lifestyle. The active duty military person can barely survive on the pay they receive.

It still beats the higher, more inflated, off-site camping facilities, and the camaraderie is fantastic.

When I joined the US Air Force in 1955 I was told that one of the favorite things GI's did was to complain. (A different word was used) Retired in 1982 after 27 years, and things had not changed. Now in 2011, I see that it still hasn't changed!

Sure, I wish I could stay for free at military installations, but am thankful for the ones that allow me to stay, and gladly pay the fee! I figure the military facilities are there for the ACTIVE DUTY folks - not us retired geezers!

Yep, the price of my gallon of milk has been going up and up and yet I still only get a gallon. I guess I could stop buying milk but I will write it off to inflation instead.

My response to that is that this is a Military installation and the is an activity that is provided for eligible personnel, be they active duty or retired military. For retirees, it is one of the benifits that We have earned. As far as inflation, again this is a military installation------so that's not even an issue.

My next question is, are you elgible to use military campgrounds and, if so, how many have you visited?

Edited by tmoning
Note: The quote above is from a post that was deleted by the poster, after the response already had been posted here.

Now, while nearly everyone on both sides of my family are current or retired Army/Navy officers, I am the black sheep of the family. Personally, I don't believe in the "I'm Military, every thing should be given to me." I am ABSOLUTELY humbled by those who do serve and I will support our troops to my dying day. I simply could not do what you folks do, so thank God for you. At the same time, you may have noticed that this Country is broke!! The National Debt can NEVER be repaid at our current rate of spending. Something has to give.

I really have never met anyone who feels that just because they are or were in the Military that they should be given a free ride.I spent 22 years in the Army. More time that I care to remember during the Cold War on the Border in Germany-------a year in combat in Nam, and the training and time spent away from my family. Anyone who hasn't served has no idea what we in the Armed Forces go thru. It's kinda like a blank check made out to Uncle Sam for everything up to and including our lives. So in a nutshell, we have earned what we have. It has not been given to us.

As far as your comment about the country being broke, I voted! Did you?

Guest Wayne77590

I think a point that is being missed here is that the rates are increasing but the facilites are remaining the same, with no upgrades. Even a publication of planned upgrades could justify a $1 a day increase, or more if the upgrades are substantial. It would be very interesting to have a breakdown of where the finances are going.

Enough.

I think a point that is being missed here is that the rates are increasing but the facilites are remaining the same, with no upgrades. Even a publication of planned upgrades could justify a $1 a day increase, or more if the upgrades are substantial. It would be very interesting to have a breakdown of where the finances are going.

Enough.

Thanks Wayne. I agree. It seems as tho no one can voice their opinion without someone getting excited and ticked off. Look what happened in the iRV2 forum. And I thought this one was for Vet's but I guess I was mistaken. Are you at Nellis?

I don't think this point was missed at all. Just as my gallon of milk has not changed, nothing says that facilities need to change to justify an increased cost to the end user. Some folks get cost of living increases and some don't. If can't change that. Despite this fact, the cost of doing business continues to increase and that cost must be passed on in some form. The theory is that everyone should just pay higher taxes so you can get the same service for the same price. I happen to disagree. I suspect that the gas and groceries you buy at the PX or Commissary cost more today than they did 3 years ago (last year). Did you make the same complaint to the post commander that you are not happy about having to pay these higher prices?

MWR is a self sustaining organization. The money earned by the activites are what supports them. No tax money is used.Next you'll ask what MWR stands for. And don't forget, we pay taxes just like you do.

And now, Enough SAID! As you indicated, you did NOT serve!

Whether one served or did not serve has no bearing whatsoever on that person's right to comment.

I think that right is guaranteed in the Constitution or the Bill or Rights or one of those old, moldy documents that many appear never to have read.

GM

Guest Wayne77590

Bruce,

I'm not at Nellis. I'm in sunny Texas city where it is a freezing 43 degrees.but will get up to about 60 degrees today. The next 3 days are 63, 64, 68. See, I keep saying come on to Texas!

I'll agree to disagree with any or all, but because all of my income is fixed, and from the Government, I will see no raises for the next 3 years, and who knows, maybe longer. So I'm not one that is fond of increases of any kind any where, but more so when I don't see a benefit that is derived from such increases. I don't think the case here is greed, but in many cases in the outside community it is driven by Greed. A single $1 may not be much - to you - but to some it is a lot of money. Increase that $1 to 30 days that one may HAVE to stay at a camp and it quickly rises to an amount that could be used to buy those higher grocery prices, or gas prices to get to the grocery store. No, I'm not one that has to worry about $30 at the end of the month, but then, I'm lucky right now.

And yes, I have too lived at the poverty level when we had to add water to Catchup before we put it on our spaghetti as sauce. No, I don't like increases because it is going to disrupt someone's lifestyle.

Hey GM, I realize that . I spent 22 years defending his right to say whatever he wants. That enough said comment was for me. I was tired of talking about that subject because the guy couldn't/wouldn't get what I was saying. So I gave up on him. sorry I gave you the wrong idea

Whether one served or did not serve has no bearing whatsoever on that person's right to comment.

I think that right is guaranteed in the Constitution or the Bill or Rights or one of those old, moldy documents that many appear never to have read.

GM

Thank you for your point. But always, always remember that you have the right to voice your feelings because all, yes all who are serving or have served have kept your rights free, all your rights.

So the next time you see a man or women wearing something military go up shake their hand and thank them for their service.

I was told one time that if I typed my post in capitols it meant I was SHOUTING.

Thank you to all ... yes, all who are serving or have served this wonderful country. GO NAVY!

Spent three years in Oklahoma's Army National Guard, then twenty seven years active duty USAF.

GM

I owe you an apologize. From your post I felt like you had not served. I was mistaken. Thank you for your 30 years of service.

Herman Mullins, U.S. Navy Vet.

Some good interesting thoughts. I wonder what our leaders are thinking of, I do not see them thinking of us in any way.

Good Luck to all active and retired vets. God Bless America

Darn! I had forgotten about this thread. Okay, so here goes.

As reported, prices are increasing at military facilities, and sequestering has forced some more facilites on installations to close whenin the past they were open 6 or 7 days a week. What does this affect. It affects the worker who is supporting a family by trying to earn an honest wage for 40 hours of work. It is going to hurt them.

As for recreational parks, well it probably will not hurt the retiree pocket book so much, or the upper ranks, but what about those young folks that would like to get out and spend a few relaxing hours with their familes. Why make it difficult on them. I believe there are a few miliatry recreational facilities that base their rates on rank structure where the lower enlisted ranks pay a lower price. Personally to me this is okay, and I do not have any problem with it. Maybe something like that could be looked at by all facilities.

Hey, 3 nights a $1 more in savings is almost a gallon of milk.

The Seal Beach Navy Base has a similiar rate as the FamCamp at Nellis. Seems to me that if it is full all the time that it would be justified. But during my tenure in the area it was rarely more than half full.

I beg to differ re: they are not in the FamCamp business to make money. The previous FamCamp at LA AFB had a cash cow before it closed. The Seal Beach FamCamp is a national ripoff from my prespective.

$825 a month. That's really helping retired folks.....not!