dcduhe

Sunscreens For Motorhome

I need a litle help. I am trying to decide what brand and type of sunscreen to put on our coach. We have an '06 Excrusion, and live in the south (with global warming; opps, sorry, climate change) and also would be intrested in mounting suggestions. Thanks.

I picked up the prompt sunscreen a couple years ago,,,,,and it works as advertised.

I would not hesitate to get another one when needed. I Just did not want any drilling into motorhome for snaps ... just my quirk......

I have MCDs. They snap on and have adjustable velco tabs so you can easily adjust them to keep them tight.

We have Motor Coach Design's (MCD) http://www.mcdinnovations.com/ sun screens all around. We are full time and having the screens on all the windows really helps in warm sunny climates. As Gramps mentioned, the MCD screens are attached at the top with a snap. The bottom of the screen has Velcro tabs that snap on the motor home and then attach to the Velcro corners on the screens. The advantage of this arrangement is that all screens will eventually stretch and even a little stretch causes the screens to sag. With the Velcro you can just pull them snug at the Velcro corners and keep them looking nice and tight. We winter in south Texas and with near constant windy days in the 20's and occasional days in the 30's or 40's I have seldom have a screen come loose so the Velcro tabs do the job. We have had the screens on the front since we bought the coach in November 1993 and use them for at least 5 months straight in the winter and occasionally in the summer as needed.

Check the web site or call them to see if they have screens for your coach. We had custom screens made for all our windows so I'm sure they could do custom screens also. MCD has been really good about replacing needed parts. I have had a few of the snap tabs with Velcro that separated from the plastic backing they are on and they replaced the tabs at no charge. We even stopped and stayed overnight at their factory in McKinney, Texas (800-804-1757) just north of Dallas and had full hook-ups. You will find cheaper sun screens but not better ones!

We use the inside shades and love them. No ladders, no snaps to ruin the coach's exterior finish or rust. Raining? No problem. I don't get wet putting up my shades. DIY - Can be custom cut to fit ANY window. They are great!

I've found that having them custom made at shops such as we have when we travel to Yuma are the best bet. We had white units on our last coach, but found they were too restricting. You couldn't see in, but you couldn't see out either. We had tan/white put on our present coach which control the heat and let you see out easily. They are all put on with snaps or the turn units as you wish. Complete set for windshield and side window $125.00 custom measured and installed. One side note: They are cleaned the easiest way by just using bucket and scrub brush with Awsome cleaner and water and then hosing the screen down while on the coach and then scrubbing with the Awsome/water combination and brush as you can keep them taunt while scrubbing and then unsnap the bottoms and hose down from the top which allows all the dirt to flush out the back and down the windows. Lot easier than trying to lay them on the driveway and clean them.

Gene & Shirley Nelson

After searching the options of what was available we went with RV Sun Shade, they were priced right and they came to the site we were parked at made them on site. http://www.rvsunshadeco.com/index.html

Doug and Kathy Cline were our installers they were very professional, prompt and detailed. We enjoy are sun screens as we started full timing last August. We are in Texas

Charles & Karen Resen

2006 Damon Astoria 3773 PE

We have Motor Coach Design's (MCD) http://www.mcdinnovations.com/ sun screens all around. We are full time and having the screens on all the windows really helps in warm sunny climates. As Gramps mentioned, the MCD screens are attached at the top with a snap. The bottom of the screen has Velcro tabs that snap on the motor home and then attach to the Velcro corners on the screens. The advantage of this arrangement is that all screens will eventually stretch and even a little stretch causes the screens to sag. With the Velcro you can just pull them snug at the Velcro corners and keep them looking nice and tight. We winter in south Texas and with near constant windy days in the 20's and occasional days in the 30's or 40's I have seldom have a screen come loose so the Velcro tabs do the job. We have had the screens on the front since we bought the coach in November 1993 and use them for at least 5 months straight in the winter and occasionally in the summer as needed.

Check the web site or call them to see if they have screens for your coach. We had custom screens made for all our windows so I'm sure they could do custom screens also. MCD has been really good about replacing needed parts. I have had a few of the snap tabs with Velcro that separated from the plastic backing they are on and they replaced the tabs at no charge. We even stopped and stayed overnight at their factory in McKinney, Texas (800-804-1757) just north of Dallas and had full hook-ups. You will find cheaper sun screens but not better ones!

Thanks for the advice, I ordered them the other day and Iam looking forward to them coming in.

David

I've found that having them custom made at shops such as we have when we travel to Yuma are the best bet. We had white units on our last coach, but found they were too restricting. You couldn't see in, but you couldn't see out either. We had tan/white put on our present coach which control the heat and let you see out easily. They are all put on with snaps or the turn units as you wish. Complete set for windshield and side window $125.00 custom measured and installed. One side note: They are cleaned the easiest way by just using bucket and scrub brush with Awsome cleaner and water and then hosing the screen down while on the coach and then scrubbing with the Awsome/water combination and brush as you can keep them taunt while scrubbing and then unsnap the bottoms and hose down from the top which allows all the dirt to flush out the back and down the windows. Lot easier than trying to lay them on the driveway and clean them.

Gene and Shirley Nelson

Here is my technique for washing sun screens. Whenever possible I will use the campground picnic table for washing. The dirty water drains away through the slots in the table and I have never had a campground owner complain about my washing their table! I have had to wash the screens on a driveway but can't get them to rinse clean. That would be a last resort for me. I have washed the screens on the coach but it really doesn't do a very good job for me.

On a picnic table I can put the large screens on the bench on the opposite side, accordion them back and forth to keep them off the ground and then pull them across to me as I wash them. As I pull them off my side of the table I again accordion stack them on the bench I am working over. If possible I'll use a hose to rinse but can also use a bucket to splash water on them for a rinse. If I use a hose I put a sprayer on it so I can get a good spray for rinsing and can shut it off when not in use. I usually clean them when putting them up. Hang them on a line just long enough to get the bulk of the water off and then put them on the windows to finish drying. I use a stiff brush and a little dishwashing detergent. If they are really dirty, I'll scrub both sides.

I need a litle help. I am trying to decide what brand and type of sunscreen to put on our coach. We have an '06 Excrusion, and live in the south (with global warming; opps, sorry, climate change) and also would be intrested in mounting suggestions. Thanks

I have made mine myself for the last two coaches we have owned. It was not that hard, saved a lot and made some for Jeep as well. :rolleyes:

Buggs 53

Where did you find the fabric? I have thought of doing this myself too but I didn't know where to get the fabric. I also have other things in mind for that fabric. Any info will be helpful.

We use the inside shades and they are great. If it's raining when we leave, no getting wet to take them down. All of the different shades have their lovers and haters, all are good, just find the ones that work good for you and are affordable on your budget :rolleyes:

We bought the Prompts for the Windshield and both front side windows....on the windshield cover, you had to stretch the rubber bungie cords OVER the side windows to attach, and then install the Side Window covers OVER the stretched rubber bungie cord, so the side window covers would never be flat and taught. Matter of fact, they sagged, and Prompt said it was all like that. Had to use a ladder also, and they just flat looked cheap, so I gave our virtually NEW Prompts away and bought Sunguards.

Sunguard uses stainless Steel screws and they sit flat and taught against all THREE windows, and they look professional and not cheesy like the Prompts did. I can install these faster than I ever could with the Prompts, and they look twice as nice. Also, the Sunguards have 84% UV blockage, where the Prompts were much less, and the material for the Sunguards are MUCH thicker. :rolleyes:

Guest Wayne77590

Well, I made a decision today. I ordered the "MAGNE SHADE" (not shouting - that is a title) from Hunckler Fabrication. I did that after visiting the web site and viewing the "gallery" you tube presentation and saw how easy it was to install.

I was also impressed with the very timely response, besides the web page notification when I clicked on contact. It was late at night, but today I received a phone call from Roger Hunckler confirming my contact email, and based on the pleasantness of the conversation, the you tube presentation, and easy installation method (Earlene can learn another task), I made my order.

I received a second follow up email confirming that they had found a 2008 Winnebago Destination and would be making the pattern from it by this weekend.

I'm looking forward to receiving it and I'll post a short review when I do.

Anyone else looking for information on the screen can call them direct at 336-414-4364.

I can't wait.

Guest Wayne77590

I had a concern regarding the opening of a sliding side window with a MAGNA SHADE. I received this explanation and wish to share it:

.....the magnets on the slider (rear bottom corner will clear the screen) what we are doing is attaching a short section of Velcro on that corner with a Velcro dot, so that he has the option of opening the window. The side slider windows have an aluminum extrusion sewn into the top of the shade spanning the upper magnets, this carries the fabric straight across the top and eliminates the fabric from bunching in the center, this is totally unnoticeable from the inside or outside of the coach. Installation of the slider shades actually take about 5 seconds to place....

Anyone have an update, maybe some pricing on Magna Shade? I sent them an email, looking for our windshield on a DP. 

If you have it did you do the install yourself?

Magna Shades are great products.  Had five on my AC Allegiance....driver's window, windshield, door, pass window and a big one covering two side by side windows on the curb side.  They are easy to install, you get instructions, window cleaner, glue for the magnets and magnets.  Obviously, they are held on by magnets, some on the outside of the window, some on the inside.  Also, they are cut for the windows in your make and model coach, so they fit perfectly.  For my double windows, they made them for the dimensions I sent.  No worries about them coming off.  The magnets for the windshield are about as wide as a quarter but 3/8" thick.  A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for in this case.  

Five, thanks for the feedback! We have one now from kool covers I believe but it has snaps, its such a pain I have never used it, I only use the wheel/tire covers. 

Joe,

If your wife sews at all making them is a piece of cake. The material /Solar screen, is available from Quality Window Screen.com either 80 or 90 Uv resistant and of various colors. I made the whole set for the Panther last winter while in Arizona using a vintage Singer sewing machine. I bound the screen with a complimenting binding. Made a set of wheel well screens as well. It took me all of 2 and a half hours. Just price them and making them could save a bundle. Rare Earth Magnets are available on Amazon.

B

It is amazing to see this old thread come back to life.  Everything I said above about MCD is moot by now.  They quit producing sunscreens four or five years ago.  I still have mine, they are serviceable.  I had them on the coach at Indy 17.  External screens stop the sun's rays and thus it's heat outside the coach.  Once the sunlight enters the coach, internal screens will only delay the progress of the heat moving into the coach.  Tinted windows absorb the heat and more is transferred into the coach than with external sun screens.  Still, the downside of the external screens is the time it takes to put them up and take them down and store them.  Part of the reason MCD got out of the sunscreen business is the movement to tinted windows and internal shades. 

If I were looking for sun screens today, I'd look for those that are most easily put up and taken down.  If they aren't convenient, you likely won't use them as often.

Tom,

I know several folks that have the Magna Shades. They look to be very easy to to put on. Just a long stick.  I did see that it is better and easier to put on if there are two people. But I assume one can do it alone. They all say that they work well.

Great seeing you and Louise in Indy. Enjoy that time with the Grand Kids.

C U down the road. Perry? Gillette?

Herman

Oh God, FMCA is returning to Perry, GA.  How can you keep drawing attendees to the same venues over and over and over again?

Bill,

We are venturing off the subject a bit. But Perry has a great deal to offer. Most of the parking is on hard surface. the seminar rooms are all very close together. The arena is good with easy access. We always have many show coaches. There are large vendor area to accommodate a great number which we always have. Show coaches, vendors and seminars are the biggest draws for the conventions. Plus we always have good numbers there despite the rain which we always have.

Herman