dcduhe

Sunscreens For Motorhome

I brought this back to see what has changed over the last few years and how a specific brand has held up. 

Shopping now for a windshield cover, I figured the test of time is a good test, if you have experience with a specific brand that would be great information. 

Tom, inconvenience is my current problem, the shade that came with the coach requires a ladder to install and has snaps. Rsbill brought up a good point, I wonder if I can install magnets to my existing shade? However it's black, wonder if that will be counterproductive? 

Would you purchase in beige for heat reflecting?

Joe,

I do not think that color on the outside will make a lot of difference since it is on the outside. Yes you could add the magnets outside by stitching a pocket to the underside with the magnets enclosed. Use a light weight vinyl and a home machine will work just fine. I used the Beige because it looked better with the coach. I was at a seminar once discussing wheel covers and the solar screen beige won out for the coolest temp behind.

B

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

I brought this back to see what has changed over the last few years and how a specific brand has held up. 

Shopping now for a windshield cover, I figured the test of time is a good test, if you have experience with a specific brand that would be great information. 

Tom, inconvenience is my current problem, the shade that came with the coach requires a ladder to install and has snaps. Rsbill brought up a good point, I wonder if I can install magnets to my existing shade? However it's black, wonder if that will be counterproductive? 

Would you purchase in beige for heat reflecting?

With the Magna Shade, they sew small pockets across the top of the shade and give you a small stick.  When mounting, you start in one corner and move the stick across the top using the pockets to mate the magnets.  Easy one man job.  Also, black is the recommended cover...don't ask me why, but it is.  With this shade, during daylight hours, you can see out through the shade, but those outside cannot see in.  Check the web site:   http://www.magneshade.com/

But what is there to do anywhere even close to Perry?  If you want to draw folks from 1000 miles away, what is the draw before or after the rally?  There is nothing nearby to see or do in the area so you really need to have a desire to hang out at the fairgrounds (nice fairgrounds, I give you that!) and nothing else to make this a good rally.

Black is likely the choice because they buy in bulk and that is the least expensive in volume. Having a choice means they have to carry more inventory for those that can not make up their minds.  QualityWindowScreen.com same price all colors, minimum quantity 10 feet. Either 80 or 90 % blockage.  The have all by the roll at better prices if you need 100 or more feet...big coach:)  I just bought a piece of beige, 8 feet tall and 20 feet long for an awning suncreen for 150 bucks, Binding will be less than $10  and a Zipper $10? time to put it together an hour maybe. I am working on making straight stiches but pretty tough on a small table.  :unsure: 

RSBILL, I'm on board with recycling the cover I have already. Magneshade windshield cover $549.00 :o. I have no way to sew it but I'm going look it over later today, maybe purchase the magnets and have the local upholstery shop tackle that portion. As far as the tool to hang it, that shouldn't be too bad to fabricate. more to follow.......

You can get a stitching awl at Backpacking stores or order on line. The thread comes in tan or black and about the weight of 10# fishing line. I have used it to repair awnings and the straps on backpacks which are heavier than you would be sewing through. 

Ok, to my surprise I unrolled the windshield cover and found all of these. I thought it was only the windshield cover... JACKPOT!!

So, for the time being I put a step ladder and some wood planks in the coach basement to see how they perform. If they work as good as I suspect I might modify them with magnets. 

IMG_3658.JPG

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

Joe

I used a 1950s vintage Vintage Singer mini sewing machine... believe me nothing special and a stock needle and a polyester thread. The screen is not heavy and easily sewn. I used a standard vinyl binding again thin stuff no problems.

Bill. I have a singer 3182 commercial heavy duty sewing machine. I use a 4X8 sheet of plywood on saw horses for a table. You are welcome to use it anytime that you are close to Alabama. I am trying real hard to make it to the Perry convention next year, maybe I will be able to meet up with a few of FMCA members finally. That looks like a real find Joe, glad you finally unrolled them, looks good on your coach.

K  I have a commercial unit at the shop, old Singer with a walking foot and a nice table but not handy in the coach and all the fun for us is on the road. There is so little time here to play like I want. I take it with me and revel in the time spent messin with the coach.

Speaking about ALABAMA, we will likely be that way about Easter heading to our son's inlaws for the holiday. I spent a good bit of time in the state as a youngster/Navy Boy in Mobile. We have friends in Birmingham and Fort Payne. We will be in Arizona when we head that way.The best part I get to drive all the way back to Colorado on different roads. Where are you?

I live 8 miles west of B'ham, and 8 miles east 0f Tannehill State park, just a short drive from one of the prettiest campgrounds in the state. Though my machine does not have a true walker, the feed is great for moderately heavy material. If you should decide to come this way, let me know a little in advance, would love to meet up.

2 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

Tannehill State park, just a short drive from one of the prettiest campgrounds in the state

Still my favorite campground, just told my wife Sunday that I want to go back and spend a few days there :wub:

We purchased sunscreens for our Dutch Star a few years back from RV Sunshade (they advertise in FMCA magazine) www.rvsunshadeco.com.  They came right to our campsite and made the shades right there to fit tight (front windshield and side screens on driver and passenger side of coach).  The sunscreen filter out 97% of sun.  They block people from seeing inside the coach during the day, but during the night if you don't pull down the inside shade you can see inside if there is a light on.  We are extremely pleased with the sunscreens and also purchased covers for our windshield wipers and covers for the front side mirrors.  They also have screens for tires that look so much better than tire covers.