f330021

How Do You Stop White Streaks

We have an 8 year old class A with a fiberglass roof that has white streaks down the sides of the coach.

We regularly wash the top (3-4 times a year) and have put Aero 303 UV protection on the top about once a year. The most recent being three months ago. We had a heavy downpour of rain recently and the white streaks are back. :rolleyes: Any idea on what we can do? I read about black streak remover but never anything about white streaks.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Of what graybeard said I think the key word was WAX. I think what the white streaks are is oxidation from the top.

Waxing the top might slow down the streaking. I don't think you will ever stop it fully.

I generaly get streaking when I wash the coach and I think it is from the water. Has anyone out there tried using a filter on the hose when washing their coach? Did it slow down the streaking?

OH Lord, what would we do with our time if we didn't have an RV. I love it.

When considering waxing the roof, you need to weigh the "look" and fewer streaks with the risk that you or someone else working on the roof (A/C, antenna, satellite, etc) will be more likely to slip and fall, perhaps off the coach.

My personal solution is to was the outer 2' of each side of the roof. Improves looks, lessens streaks yet doesn't offer an increased risk of falling.

Brett

Guest Wayne77590

Herman,

I use the Mr. Clean AutoDry Machine. Although it has become difficult getting the filters and soap for them since PG stopped making them. What a great item I think it is. The filter is an ionization filter that supposedly softens the water. the last application rinse is through the filter with a fine mist like the car washes produce. The only streaking that I have is where it leaks down from some holding places. An easy buff with a detailer spray and they go away.

I would think that a filter with a softener in it would work. However, it is also a factor of the soap that you use. the Mr. Clean uses a soap with a polymer in it. I have tried it without that soap, and it does not give me that same look.

If you experiment, let us know.

Some of the members in our group use a product called Mary Moppins. Sounds similar to Mop&Glo but I haven't tried it myself so I can't vouch for it personally. Lots seem to like it.

In 40 years of RVing I've never known or read of anyone waxing the roof, or recommendations for doing so. Typically due to the safety issues Brett mentioned, plus the requirement of constant reapplication as with any polymer based substance. The difference with wax in this class of surface protectants is simply being more labor intensive than most other options.

With many bus conversions the streaking issue is remedied with a quality base coat - clear coat application to the roof, whether metal or fiberglass. Also good rain gutters on the coach help more than you might think.

I used KoolSeal over the composition roof of a past house to avoid a roof job. When we left, the coating had been on three years and still showed no signs of aging of chalking. Around $30. per gallon. I was very pleased with the results of bonding, sealing, and good looks. We plan to do the same on the coach roof this summer since the fiberglass roof is beginning to chalk a little, resulting in the white streaks.

When we stop I use blue liquid Wash Wax All cleaner. It cleans bugs and streaks, and leaves a nice shine with no water required. Spray it on - wipe it off. No buffing. I used to use Protect All but I've found the Wash Wax All cleaner easier to use. But I don't use it on the roof.

http://www.washwax.com

Be careful that whatever you use is specified for use on fiberglass.

Sorry I didn't clarify. We only buff and wax the outer perimeter (Approx 18" each side)

of the roof. we have a full fiberglass roof and the center section is textured so as to help against sliding or sliping. Obviously one wouldn't wax that.

I would think 'rain gutters' could be fitted also if the problem continued to be a nuisance.

Fred

The only way to stop the streaking from my rubber roof is to wash the motorhome weekly. I wash the top with dawn & the rest of the home with a good quality car wash soap. I don't have the home under cover. Several years ago, I had the roof refinished which stopped the streaks for about a year. Your fiberglass roof is probably fading from sun exposure. Let me clarify when I said I washed the motorhome weekly. My wife & I and my children & anyone else I can conjure into helping wash the monster weekly or as often as possible. :rolleyes:

I have read some people have painted their fiberglass roofs with uv filtered rust-oleum marine deck paint. From their post, the paint is going on 3 years with no white streaks. This sounds like it may be an alternative gel coat oxidation.

Desmo

I have a '95 Rexhall Aerbus that has a fiberglass front cap. It looked like it was one of the old rockers from KISS, weeping white all over the front end. My way of dealing with the oxidation was scrub it away by using 3M Fiberglass cleaner/restorer usually used on faded fiberglass yachts. My recently acquired vehicle had been sitting uncovered for several years. It took about 5 different rags to get the initial oxidation off. Now I can use a power buffer without clogging the pads. My biceps are much improved and now they will get another workout as I put on an additional coat of wax.

Gee, think I have improved my MPG?

Dave

i have an 03 Country Coach with a lot of white streaks down the side. I was cleaning and waxing the roof, as the factory product at least twice a year. I am getting too old for this so talking to a friend in Florida, who has a boat, and he was using PoliGlow (http://poliglowproducrts.com). I cleaned and applied and it has been 18 months and no white stricks, the rig is outside 356. I used a sponge mop for the cleaner and Poliglow supplies the adaptor for wax (not a wax) .. when done, be careful, it is really slippery when wet.

Larry A. Nelson

I used Mop & Glow. Easy to apply, and seems to work. Doesn't make the surface very slippery. Tried this after seeing it on some other forums.

Has anybody discovered a paint we could use that would protect the roof and not streak the sides?

Hi there.

Just read all the answers. We had the same problem, fixed it. But i can tell You it will take some elbow grease to get it done (You might want to farm it out).

Start: get the area wet, get some Bar Keepers Friend (soft scrub cleanser) and rub the area down to get rid off the oxidation.You can feel it. I used a old Terry towel. You have to wash it out from time to time. Use the hose and wash everying off from the effected area. Let it dry and feel the smoothness of the prepped area.

The next step is just about as labor intensive. Apply RED MAX PRO #3. Be sure to use only #3 (there are 5 or 6 different numbers). Apply it with a old T-Shirt or a Micro Fiber Cloth. The only Caution is wear Nitril or Latex gloves. When this stuff dries + You did not wear gloves, you will have polished Fingernails for 4-5 weeks .

Now comes the Bomb. You have to reapply THIS STUFF 4-6 times. It will take you 7-8 Hours if you have a 40 Footer like we have. But, you will like it. The reason is as you will see, every coat you put on the surface will look shinier. Ours looks like it was clear coated. Its been 2 years now, and I have done nothing other then hosing and occasionally brushing it down.

You can find it at Lowes or at Home Depot. Bar Keepers Friend was around $ 3.00. I needed 3 cans. Red Max Pro #3 wasabout $ 18.00 or so per Gallon . I needed 1 1/2 gal. to do our roof. Like I said, you might not want to tackle the job, its not for the Fainthearted. Before I forget , don't get it on the windshield, or you stand there with a Racor Blade for some time.

I am glad I did i , no more streaking (white streaking) since then.

God luck , save Travels + Good Bless .

old marine

Just this week did our 07 MH. Roof was dirty was about all. As we got it last July, so one year outside. I used the Gel-Gloss Heavy Duty RV wash and wax from CW. It really was much easier that I was thinking it would be.(still worked up a sweat) but old and good eating will do that to ya. OK ? is I know this is better than nothing but should a guy go ahead with a coat of something like Mop & Glow anyway. Or should I quite thinking , sit down and have a cold one because it will be fine?

We use a product called Quick n Brite we picked up at a Rally years ago. It works great to get the white hard water streaks (as well as cleaning the rubber roof).

What we have found works best is to dilute the Quick n Brite into a heavy solution in a bug sprayer and spray down the motorhome then come back with a pole brush and the remaining solution to scrub the exterior down. Giving it a few extra minutes to sit really helps get all the white/black streaks and bugs off with less scrubbing. Before we use a garden hose to rinse it if there are any spots that did not come clean with the heavy solution we use the Quick n Brite full strength with a stiffer brush (non-abrasive!) and apply it to the remaining build up then let it sit again (about 15-30 min). We also do the same thing on the rubber roof. Spray it down then come back and brush it in, then rinse with a garden hose. (It does not dry out or crack the rubber roof.) Been satisfied with the product since our first time trying it.

It works better than our previous products in every area of the RV we have tested it on. We joke with our friends we should be representatives because we love our Quick n Brite so much!

Hi there.

Just read all the answers. We had the same problem, fixed it. But i can tell You it will take some elbow grease to get it done (You might want to farm it out).

Start: get the area wet, get some Bar Keepers Friend (soft scrub cleanser) and rub the area down to get rid off the oxidation.You can feel it. I used a old Terry towel. You have to wash it out from time to time. Use the hose and wash everying off from the effected area. Let it dry and feel the smoothness of the prepped area.

The next step is just about as labor intensive. Apply RED MAX PRO #3. Be sure to use only #3 (there are 5 or 6 different numbers). Apply it with a old T-Shirt or a Micro Fiber Cloth. The only Caution is wear Nitril or Latex gloves. When this stuff dries + You did not wear gloves, you will have polished Fingernails for 4-5 weeks .

Now comes the Bomb. You have to reapply THIS STUFF 4-6 times. It will take you 7-8 Hours if you have a 40 Footer like we have. But, you will like it. The reason is as you will see, every coat you put on the surface will look shinier. Ours looks like it was clear coated. Its been 2 years now, and I have done nothing other then hosing and occasionally brushing it down.

You can find it at Lowes or at Home Depot. Bar Keepers Friend was around $ 3.00. I needed 3 cans. Red Max Pro #3 wasabout $ 18.00 or so per Gallon . I needed 1 1/2 gal. to do our roof. Like I said, you might not want to tackle the job, its not for the Fainthearted. Before I forget , don't get it on the windshield, or you stand there with a Racor Blade for some time.

I am glad I did i , no more streaking (white streaking) since then.

God luck , save Travels + Good Bless .

old marine

OK, maybe I'm just slow and dense, but we too have this white streaking from the roof on a black coach. Anyway, when you are talking about the Bar Keepers friend, were you using that on the roof or on the sides to get the white off the paint on the sides?

We are still trying to find something that will take the white streaks off, without totally ruining the paint on the sides. By the way, on the side windows and mirrors too :(

We have since had gutter extensions put on, but haven't found a way to get the streaks off!

My thoughts about it being oxidized paint from the roof wasn't off, at least I'm not crazy. :wacko:

I power wash the roof of my coach, low pressure, and then apply an ample supply (heavy coat) of "Mop and Glow" once or twice a year depending on camping environment. Seems to work very well Dave

When considering waxing the roof, you need to weigh the "look" and fewer streaks with the risk that you or someone else working on the roof (A/C, antenna, satellite, etc) will be more likely to slip and fall, perhaps off the coach.

My personal solution is to was the outer 2' of each side of the roof. Improves looks, lessens streaks yet doesn't offer an increased risk of falling.

Brett

Brett

What do you use to remove existing white, black and hard water streaks from the side of your coach? Also, what do you do to the outer 2' of each side of the roof to prevent streaking?

Thanks,

Bill in Sequim

Brett

What do you use to remove existing white, black and hard water streaks from the side of your coach? Also, what do you do to the outer 2' of each side of the roof to prevent streaking?

Thanks,

Bill in Sequim

Bill,

Our coach has painted sides. Sadly the only RX I know of is to wash it enough to keep the streaks off. Sometimes all it takes is a damp towel and dry towel.

I know some coat the roof, and suspect some of the products work well. But, none are inexpensive.

I use a wash and wax and only wash the roof if I end up driving in the rain. That's when the roof gets dirty. Otherwise the sides clean easy with the wash and wax and long handle soft brush I think I got from Costco. You have to dry it or the wax could leave spots.