Charliem06

Dropped valve stem cap into front wheel/brake?

I have a 38' 2009 Winnebago Adventurer on a Ford V10 chassis. While checking the tire pressure I removed the valve stem cap. When putting it back on I dropped it into the opening of the rim that the valve extends partially through. As luck would have it, it dropped into the cavity where the brake pad is. I looked in all areas that I could see or feel and it was no where to be found. Will this cause any damage?

Guest Wayne77590

I"m not sure if this is correct, but in my humble opinion if it is caught between the drum and the brake shoe it can cause some damage.

Do you have roadside assistance? You may be able to call them and explain the situation and that it would be "dangerous" to drive. They may pay for a tire repair call. Otherwise, I think I'd pick up the tab on my own if it happened to me.

Good luck.

You might try using a air gun if you could get close to it. It being light you might be able to blow it out . Coat hanger with gum on the end magnet with a screwdriver blade. Just some suggestions. Hope it will work. Good luck

Charlie, I don't think you have a problem. There is room around the calipers for the cap to fall out when you begin to move. Caps are either plastic or stainless(so they wont rust). If you lost it on your front wheel just start your engine trun your wheel until the rear of the wheel your lost the cap on is turned out. crawl under and take a look. You might raise your coach until both front wheels are off the ground then spin the wheel. It should fall out.

My self, I would say "darn" and then go to the parts house and buy some new caps. This wont be the first caps you lose nor the last. You most likely throw more rock and other thing up into all sorts of places on your coach while driving.

So get some new caps. enjoy a fine cup of coffee and go camping.