akadeadeye

Oily Stain on Tire

What could be the source of an oily stain on the inside of the front driver's side tire. Something has dripped straight down onto the wheel and tire since we put our motorhome in storage. Whatever leaked was not enough to reach the ground, but it is obviously not normal. Our motorhome is a Spartan Allstar Chassis, 2009. It has not been driven since mid November and is in a totally enclosed storage. I just happened to notice this stain today when doing routine battery maintenance and general inspection. I was not dressed appropriately to be able to crawl underneath to inspect closer.

Many thanks for any replies and suggestions.

Don

It may look like something is dripping on the tire and running onto the wheel, but you may find that something behind the wheel leaked and dripped downwards onto the tire. In other words the wheel was oriented 180 degrees from when you noticed it.

This could be wheel bearing grease, or lubrication grease, or brake fluid. Did you have the coach in for service? Could be the mechanic just spilled something

It may look like something is dripping on the tire and running onto the wheel, but you may find that something behind the wheel leaked and dripped downwards onto the tire. In other words the wheel was oriented 180 degrees from when you noticed it.

This could be wheel bearing grease, or lubrication grease, or brake fluid. Did you have the coach in for service? Could be the mechanic just spilled something

As a matter of fact I had it in for the first oil change about three months ago. They were supposed to lube also. I guess it could be a coincidence that the stain is oriented such that it looks like something has leaked since I parked it.

Thanks for your reply.

Don

i had an oily residue on the inside of my wheel and found that the rubber cap on my oil bath bearings was missing and had sloushed out onto the tire. if you have oil bath bearings i would check this. i posted this similiar problem earlier in the forum and had several replys that you can read. there was a lot of good info replies.

i had an oily residue on the inside of my wheel and found that the rubber cap on my oil bath bearings was missing and had sloushed out onto the tire. if you have oil bath bearings i would check this. i posted this similar problem earlier in the forum and had several replies that you can read. there was a lot of good info replies.

Yes, this it the "first suspect".

Your front wheel bearings are likely oil bath. A leak of the inner seal will allow oil to leak onto the inboard side of the hub and then tire. A leak of the outer seal or as in woodlodge's case a missing plug will allow oil to leak onto the outside of the hub and then down the outside of the tire. If the vehicle is on motion when leaking, the oil "trails" can radiate from the hub outward.

Remove the center cap and check oil level.

Brett