Xplorer

Jeep Liberty Sport towing performance

First 1,900-mile trip towing the 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 with the below configuration:

Just simply: Outstanding

Initially I was reluctant to use a portable brake box,,,,after reviewing as much info from this and other forums,,,and manufacturer websites,,,installation instructions,,,,,,etc......I once again learned to never say never.

The Brake Buddy performed as intended: It is easy to install and remove,,,setup,,,etc....no issues with performance at all.

BlueOx Aventa LX,,,,,just nice,,,,easy hookup,,,disconnect,,,,,etc....

Going with the independent lights that do not connect to the Liberty lighting system,,,,but operate completely off the MH was a good decision imho,,,,no diodes,,,no concerns about lights not working,,,,etc....simply worry free.

The info obtained from the forum,,,regarding moving the fuse for the lighter outlet so it would remain hot was valuable information......The Jeep service writer appeared dumfounded by my question regarding just moving the fuse to a different location in the fuse box.....SO,,,,came back home after the Jeep was serviced,,,went to the forum,,,did the search and learned how and where to move the fuse for the lighter outlet to remain Hot!!!! Worked perfectly,,,,Thanks to those on this forum that know more than the Service writers.

My only concern was not disconnecting the battery as outlined in the Jeep manual for Recreational Towing. I initially installed a battery disconnect,,,,,,but,,,,never used it...

Again,,,,researched forum information regarding others experience in towing the 2008 Liberty,,,,,and again,,,not getting a satisfactory answer from the Jeep dealer regarding disconnect,,,,,I chose to rely on the experience of other forum Liberty owners that tow without disconnecting the battery.....

Once again,,,,forum members know the time of day when working through tech issues,,,,that dealers, manufacturers, etc.....don't know or don't care to provide this valuable customer service information,,,etc.

I am really confident and satisfied with the final setup and it's towing results.

For those from the forum(s) who contributed to this experience,,,,,Thank you very much for sharing your valuable experiences and information.

Check is in the Mail:: :rolleyes:

Oh,,,,I did and do follow the directions for setup,,,,etc......amazing the results when directions are followed.

Safe and Happy Highways to All!

John

The '08 Liberty is Automatic,,,,,,the steering wheel does not lock,,,,,,,I turn the key off and remove it,,,,,,,

Not sure, but those with manual transmissions,,,,,I guess the steering locks........

The '08 Liberty is Automatic,,,,,,the steering wheel does not lock,,,,,,,I turn the key off and remove it,,,,,,,

Not sure, but those with manual transmissions,,,,,I guess the steering locks........

Just curious, but we have similiar MH & towed setup and was wondering what gas mileage you are getting? Interesting about turning the key off as on our 06 Jeep Liberty AT, I turn the ign key one turn so the steering wheel doesn't. Maybe need to reread the manual instructions eh! :rolleyes:

I don't normally track mileage,,,,,However,,,,,,,,,,I did initially with my first setup for towing with a Nissan Sentra on a tow dolly and mileage would run from 6 to 8 mpg,,,,,most frequently closer to 6.5 mpg,,,,depending on terrain.......that was based on periodic chech of onboard mileage computer.

My current setup which is about 500 pounds heavier than the above setup and on the 1900 mile trip,,,,,again checking the onboard mileage computer,,,,,it registered regularly at 8.8 mpg..........It never registered below the 8.8 for the trip when I checked it,,,which was frequently.....

As for the ignition on the'06 Liberty,,,,,,,not sure,,,,but like you indicated, the manual should be the bible for that.....This is my first Jeep,,,,,,,,and we like just about everything about it......gas mileage could be a little better,,,,but,,,,I didn't get it for the gas mileage.........It has performed extremely wellllllll,,,,,,I like it a lot.......I hope the Jeep Brand makes it in the long run.

Just got a o9 Liberty. Do I understand you do not disconnect the battery and do not "unlock" or leave the key in the ignition?

I have asked the same question at the dealer but do not get a good answer.

How do you run the tail light wire from the MH to the rear of the jeep?

JR

John -

I found your post to be very useful as I'm about to buy a 2009 Liberty Sport and go with the Blue Ox, Brake Buddy, etc. After reading about the Brake Buddy and it's 12V requirement, I was wondering how to address keeping the cigar lighter hot. I saw your comment about moving the fuse and did a forum search but I didn't find anything. Can you direct me to that post or tell me what I need to do?

Thanks.

Ron

Just saw these questions, will try to be as helpful as I can. Keep in mind, I have the 2008 Jeep Liberty, not the 2009/2010.

There is a separate light bulb kit that can be installed in the Lib tail lights, that plugs directly in my MH socket with a 7 point to 4 point plug conversion socket. (not sure of the exact terms, but the tech that installed mine, knew what he was doing),,,No diodes, etc.

Here is a site I used when preparing my Liberty for towing, etc. It was the best info I could find at the time. Further searches on this site will produce plenty of reading on towing the Liberty. Good Luck, I think it will answer all your questions about towing the Liberty.

Towing Jeep Liberty

John -

I found your post to be very useful as I'm about to buy a 2009 Liberty Sport and go with the Blue Ox, Brake Buddy, etc. After reading about the Brake Buddy and it's 12V requirement, I was wondering how to address keeping the cigar lighter hot. I saw your comment about moving the fuse and did a forum search but I didn't find anything. Can you direct me to that post or tell me what I need to do?

Thanks.

Ron

I couldn't find the exact post I used on moving the fuse, but the one I referenced above discusses the fuse number to move. Looking at the fuse box under the hood facing the driver, I moved the fuse in the lower right hand corner one slot to the right which keeps my lighter socket hot when the key is off and removed. Again, this in on my 2008.

The Liberty has 18k miles, and probably 10k being towed, it tows great.

Thanks for the info on the fuse. I just read my 2009 Liberty manual and it did say you could get a Jeep service tech to make the lighter socket hot. I figured it was something simple. I may still do that for other reasons but I've found out a better solution for powering the BrakeBuddy.

The place that is installing my tow-bar brackets, etc. really know their stuff. They've dinghyized a bunch of Liberty's. They pursued the issue with Jeep to try to understand why the battery needed to be disconnected to tow. They finally found someone at Jeep who knew the answer ... you do NOT need to disconnect the battery to tow. The only reason they tell you to disconnect the battery is to keep your accessories from draining it. In the Jeep Owner's Manual they should have at least state that so you could make an intelligent decision as to whether you wanted/needed to disconnect the battery.

What the RV pros, Temecula Valley RV, that I'm getting to do my work are doing is running a line from the MH's battery back to the Liberty's battery. My MH has a 7-pin connector and one of them is 12V hot feed so it's pretty simple to get the power back to the Jeep's battery. With their approach, the Liberty's battery can be left connected and the clock, radio presets, etc. don't evaporate. While the Liberty is drawing current to run ACC, the MH is replenishing it. I guess if you stop driving and leave the Liberty's ignition on ACC, you could eventually drain both batteries. But I think you would deserve it if you left the ignition on ACC for days when you weren't towing.

BTW, I did get a chipless, the-engine-won't-run key made. The local Jeep dealer had the blanks in stock. With my VIN and an ID, they were able to do it in a couple of minutes. Now I can do the towing setup without being worried about leaving a full-function key in the ignition. I think the $14 I paid is cheap insurance to keep someone from driving off in my Liberty or even me loosing the $250 chipped key. Plus, I now have to keys outside the Liberty to unlock the doors.