lebjdixon

Wingard Trav'ler

Just purchased a 98 Holiday Rambler, and I am a newbie.

The motorhome has had a fairly new Wingard satellite travler installed (2008) , but it was not connected when I purchased the coach. Alot of the cable wires are missing inside,and looks like some have been cut, I have the interface box and power box,and have plugged them in and it works, but the cable called DC out is missing (control cable).

I have done some searching on the internet about the interface box, but I am having a problem finding cables to purchase for the box. I'm not sure what kind of antennae is on top of motorhome, but think it is the triple feed slimline (Direct TV).

Any information would help, thanks.

Brenda D

Google Winegard and send an email to the address for mobile sales/service. I recently contacted them for a problem and received a prompt and helpful response

Guest BillAdams

If you have the Winegard Trav'ler then the control box inside has a digital display, Power, Select and Enter buttons. On the back side you will see where the 12V power (coming from a 120V/12V converter) can plug in and you will see a small block with 4 square holes and another with 6 holes. The control cable is a cable just about the size of a coax cable and has a male plug with 6 connectors that will fit in these holes only.

I don't have any idea what a 12V out connection would be or where you are seeing this. Can you confirm that this is what you have and can you tell us more about what you don't have or are looking for?

Page 6 of this manual shows the back of the controller and the only 2 connections that are used.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/24521...ravler_3005.pdf

If you have the Winegard Trav'ler then the control box inside has a digital display, Power, Select and Enter buttons. On the back side you will see where the 12V power (coming from a 120V/12V converter) can plug in and you will see a small block with 4 square holes and another with 6 holes. The control cable is a cable just about the size of a coax cable and has a male plug with 6 connectors that will fit in these holes only.

I don't have any idea what a 12V out connection would be or where you are seeing this. Can you confirm that this is what you have and can you tell us more about what you don't have or are looking for?

Page 6 of this manual shows the back of the controller and the only 2 connections that are used.

Thanks everyone, I found one, it was located in the motorhome after all, now all I have to do is get a good satellite service, guess it will be Direct Tv, wondering if I could use my receiver out of the house

Guest BillAdams
Thanks everyone, I found one, it was located in the motorhome after all, now all I have to do is get a good satellite service, guess it will be Direct Tv, wondering if I could use my receiver out of the house

The Trav'ler you have is specific to one service or the other. Be sure that you get the right service to work with the specific antenna you have. If you have a DirecTV Trav'ler it will actually say DirecTV on the dish itself. If it's Dish Network, the same is true. Assuming you now have all of the connections in place you can push and hold the power button until it says Power On and then release. The antenna (even with no receiver connected) will go up and lock onto the necessary satellites (assuming a clear view). Once the search is complete the display will either show 101, 110, 119 (DirecTV) or 119, 110, 129 (Dish Network). This also would let you know which antenna you have and which service provider you need to sign up with.

I just got the Winegard Trav'ler SK-1000 I want to mount it on the roof of my '06 Bounder that is "Satellite Ready". I have the schematic for the location of the block but before I get too far along I like advice from anyone who has installed their own roof mounted antenna.

What special tools do I need/what do I need to watch out for?

I need to feed the power cord, control and at least one more coax cable to the "entertainment" center over the dash.

Any advice?

Guest BillAdams

The Trav'ler power cord is the control cable so that cable plus one or 2 coax cables is all you need to bring into the coach. This will usually be in the same cabinet as the receiver. If you are running new cables then this must be routed to where the receiver is located. If you have a DVR you will need 2 coax cables to that location if you are a DirecTV customer but only one if you are a Dish Network customer (SK-1000 is Dish Network) if you add the Dish Separator (a special splitter) and connect it to a DN DVR (PVR).

On 1/10/2011 at 4:22 PM, Guest BillAdams said:

DC output. Is not to be used at all. 

Reference came from factory winegard

I'm here.  Been gone from FMCA for awhile.  I won't be posting much but I will peak in from time to time.  I am long out of the satellite internet business but I still know a bit about OTA and satellite TV.

8 minutes ago, BillAdams said:

I'm here.  Been gone from FMCA for awhile.  I won't be posting much but I will peak in from time to time.  I am long out of the satellite internet business but I still know a bit about OTA and satellite TV.

:rolleyes:

Rich,

It is yours and the new owner would likely not want it anyway.  You can hook it up at home if you have Dish service or simply terminate the service on that box.

Yes. We have two Direct TV receivers at home that go with us in our coach. They don't know the difference. We have 5LNB at home and 3 SWM on the coach. Quickly changeable if you know how to navigate the menu. Don't see why Dish would be different in that regard.

8 hours ago, retiredblade said:

So, If I take it with me and I want wingard traveler on my next motor home, then all I would have to do is buy the dish antenna  and mate the receiver with it?

Yep.  In the meantime be sure to call Dish and have them suspend service on the receiver to save money until you are ready to install it in the new coach.

Thanks for the advice. I have Dish for Rvers and it is set up that when I want the service, I call them and they take my pin and credit card number  start the service. Then when I get home I don't pay the bill and they stop service. So while motor home is sitting or in storage, no Dish bill. I think its a good deal.