Sign in to follow this  
sammebuck

Fleetwood Screen Door Latch

Any one else out there having problems with the screen door latch on a Fleetwood? I'm on my 3rd one and at $35 a pop, it's getting old. The actuator rod I guess is what its called, is made from a cheap pot metal, it bends very easily and then snaps...rending the latch useless. Would appreciate any ideas as to whats causing this and how it could be avoided inthe first place..... :rolleyes:

Happy Camping!!

I'm not familiar with the latch on your Fleetwood but it may be worth considering mounting a magnet type latch similar to the type used on some kitchen cabinet doors................Especially at $35 a pop.

Paul

Any one else out there having problems with the screen door latch on a Fleetwood? I'm on my 3rd one and at $35 a pop, it's getting old. The actuator rod I guess is what its called, is made from a cheap pot metal, it bends very easily and then snaps...rending the latch useless. Would appreciate any ideas as to whats causing this and how it could be avoided inthe first place..... :rolleyes:

Happy Camping!!

Perhaps you could have a metal craftsman fabricate an actuator rod from steel. Shouldn't be that difficult to do. :)

Thanks for the sugesstions.....since this is our second Fleetwood and the second coach with the problem, we replaced one on the Fiesta and now 2 on the Southwind....we're going to have to do something. I may try that magnet idea first!! Thanks, :rolleyes:

Thanks for the sugesstions.....since this is our second Fleetwood and the second coach with the problem, we replaced one on the Fiesta and now 2 on the Southwind....we're going to have to do something. I may try that magnet idea first!! Thanks, :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Forum Richard and Samme [and Honor]

Since this latch seems to be an ongoing problem with Fleetwood, what does their tech dept. say? Have you looked for a different latch that might work?

I am not familiar with the Fleetwood. Does the Latch latch to the door also. There could be an alignment problem that puts the latch in a bind all the time and cause the latch to crack then break. Check and see how the latch looks on the door and jam when closed. Is it in a bind? Does it close with ease or do you have to close it real hard. Constant breaking must be binding or stress problem. Hope my hints help.

Thank you for the welcome....and the hints....it actually leans toward something I suspected......We are going to call Fleetwood and see what they think. The door does not stick, it opens easily, but ever loving spouse does tend to close it hard....I've thought for a while that might be the problem. The piece that bends is very soft....pot metal is what my husband calls it.... if Fleetwood doesn't have a good idea or solution....I might try the idea of having a stronger one made somehow. It's frustrating!! :rolleyes: The interior screen door where this piece is does attach to the outer door. I guess if this is all I have to complain about though....we're doing pretty good. HA!!

I've had a similar problem.

Rather than breaking, the way our Fleetwood Discovery screen latch was installed (I'm assuming that we have the same screen door latch system), it doesn't engage the bracket mounted on the door frame completely. As a result, the door tends to pop open. If nothing else, at least my problem is cheaper.

The way I solved the problem was twofold.

First, I took a good look at the entire setup. It looked to me like the rubber insulation was thick in order to provide adequate insulation while the main door was closed.

Second, I bought some gasket material at Wal-Mart and cut out enough gasket material to add approximately one eighth of an inch. I took off the latch catch on the door frame and put the gasket material under it then reinstalled the catch.

Now, the screen door will stay closed and it does not affect the operation of the main door.

Based on your description of your problem, it makes sense that the pressure on your screen door latch might be coming from the same insulation.

Maybe this solution might work for you. The gasket material cost me less than 5 bucks. And if you can't find it at Wal-Mart, you should be able to find it at any auto parts store. There will be enough left over for many other tweaking projects in the future.

Kevin

Thanks for the update Kevin: it does sound similiar, but we aren't having the probelm with door popping open, however, do see the issue you are talking about. We installed the new latch...before we did that, we could close the door gently, without slamming it, a pull would shut it completely, now that the new latch is on, we're having to shut it "firmly" again...which I think is breaking the soft rod to start with... Going to get on the phone with Fleetwood this week and see what they suggest. Will post that result here for anyone else whose having/has the issue. Talked to our mechanic this past, and he thinks it's a adjustment issue. However, he's a 100 miles away, so not going to drive over there just for this and not due for another service until later this year. :rolleyes: Can't have a probelm when you're in already for service, that would be too easy.

Yes, we have the same issue with our door samme, so let us know what Fleetwood says. I've replaced the latch once after ordering the part from Fleetwood and it's starting up again.

As a full-timer, I've had three go bad on my 2012 Bounder over the last four years. Either Fleetwood doesn't realize they don't hold up, or its planned obsolescence because they love getting the huge markup.

My dealer was going to order me a new one from Fleetwood. I'm out of warranty so Fleetwood wanted $67 including shipping. I said no thanks.

I just ordered two from Factory RV Surplus in Elkhart for $14.52 each plus about $11 in shipping to California. It's actually an Atwood latch. To get to it, you have to search for a "J184BK" on their website. It will bring up a link, (http://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/products.php?product_id=2771) for a white one and then, on that link's page you can select white, grey, or black. The Fleetwood 449144 is the black one, J184BK.

I hope this information lets you avoid the frustration, cost, and pinched fingers that accompany that poorly designed latch.