WE JUST PURCHASED A 2010 FORD ESCAPE FWD FOR OUR TOAD. DOES ANYONE HAVE A 2010? IF SO HAVE YOU HAD ANY TRANSMISION PROBLEMS? HAD IT TO DEALER TO LOWER FLUID LEVELS YESTERDAY. HOPE TO GO ON SMALL TRIP TO SEE IF ANYTHING HAPPENS. WILL KEEP YOU UPDATE IF ANYTHING HAPPENS. HAPPY RVING

WE JUST PURCHASED A 2010 FORD ESCAPE FWD FOR OUR TOAD. DOES ANYONE HAVE A 2010? IF SO HAVE YOU HAD ANY TRANSMISION PROBLEMS? HAD IT TO DEALER TO LOWER FLUID LEVELS YESTERDAY. HOPE TO GO ON SMALL TRIP TO SEE IF ANYTHING HAPPENS. WILL KEEP YOU UPDATE IF ANYTHING HAPPENS. HAPPY RVING

I haven't heard much about the 2010. We have taken several more small trips with the 2009 with no problems. I am still convinced that the outside temperature is a factor, but hope I'm wrong. We won't be taking a long trip until July when we will go from Arizona to Oregon. If ours makes that trip, I will be convinced that the problem is solved. An update regarding the Ford Forum - that site was apparently hacked and the thread with the information is gone. I'm disappointed about that, as there was a good deal of useful information on that site. I've continued to monitor the site to see if any new problems get posted. One piece of advice - check the fluid yourself each and every time after you go to the dealer - they tend to top off the fluid when you are there for something unrelated. We also plan to have our dealer document the fluid level in writing before leaving for the Oregon trip. I hope everything works out for both of us! Kathy

Here's more info if you want the correct answers. I walked away from two Ford dealerships because instead of finding me the correct answer about towing, they made up an answer. If I was going to buy the car and live with it, I wanted to see the manufacturer towing guidelines in writing. The dealership where I bought my 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid did it right. The service advisor told me the car was towable four wheels down and all I needed to do was put it in neutral and of course put the ignition in accessory so the front wheels would turn. He showed me the user manual instructions that confirmed it. When they don't know, they find out instead of making up an answer. I recommend the Bob Allen Ford dealership in Overland Park, Kansas (913) 381-3000.

Note: They had never had someone who was going to tow this vehicle so they declined to install the Blue Ox tow baseplate or braking system so I had my rv service people do that for me. I'm happy they were honest and sent me elsewhere rather than doing a poor job.

I looked at my 2010 Mercury Milan's Owners Manual set up procedure for flat towing after each of the two transmissions burned up on first trip out with 2400 miles on car.

jep8n

Johnp8n - Were you at the lowered fluid level when your transmission burned out on your Mercury? And if so, did you check it yourself? I'm desperately hoping this will fix the problem, and so far has been OK on our 09 Escape, but I just don't have that much confidence in this fix. But I refuse to quit towing - I will keep having transmissions put in as long as necessary...

Johnp8n - Were you at the lowered fluid level when your transmission burned out on your Mercury? And if so, did you check it yourself? I'm desperately hoping this will fix the problem, and so far has been OK on our 09 Escape, but I just don't have that much confidence in this fix. But I refuse to quit towing - I will keep having transmissions put in as long as necessary...

I do not know. The dealer we bought the car from said it was set up for towing. First 350 miles, with stop for 5 min run, the tx was burned. Spent 6 days at the Ford dealer in Manning SC while new tx(with a baffle to reduce fluid aeration) and radiator was installed. Was told fluid level was as per the manual for flat towing. Towed 3 100 mile trips and was in Wilmington NC and though I smelled burn oil. Went to Ford dealer in Wilmington NC and the service manager said the only thing he saw was a low fluid level in the tx. Before he added fluid I showed him the fluid level in the owner's manual and he said he did not know that. He assured me that the level was per the manual. 900 miles later the second tx burned up. Got tow dolly in VA and towed back to FL where I purchased car. On way back I stopped by ford in Manning and service manager gave me a copy of a recall he had received the day before requiring a reprogramming of the tx computer. Gave Ford in Titusville a copy of recall, and tx with new radiator was installed. They gave me a copy of the work order for the reprogramming of the tx computer. Got home yesterday after 1150 miles towing as per the manual and only problem was the battery was run down after 5.5 hours of towing. This has been a problem since I first towed it.

John

I do not know. The dealer we bought the car from said it was set up for towing. First 350 miles, with stop for 5 min run, the tx was burned. Spent 6 days at the Ford dealer in Manning SC while new tx(with a baffle to reduce fluid aeration) and radiator was installed. Was told fluid level was as per the manual for flat towing. Towed 3 100 mile trips and was in Wilmington NC and though I smelled burn oil. Went to Ford dealer in Wilmington NC and the service manager said the only thing he saw was a low fluid level in the tx. Before he added fluid I showed him the fluid level in the owner's manual and he said he did not know that. He assured me that the level was per the manual. 900 miles later the second tx burned up. Got tow dolly in VA and towed back to FL where I purchased car. On way back I stopped by ford in Manning and service manager gave me a copy of a recall he had received the day before requiring a reprogramming of the tx computer. Gave Ford in Titusville a copy of recall, and tx with new radiator was installed. They gave me a copy of the work order for the reprogramming of the tx computer. Got home yesterday after 1150 miles towing as per the manual and only problem was the battery was run down after 5.5 hours of towing. This has been a problem since I first towed it.

John

Thank you - we had not received a copy of the recall, so we just called our dealer and they told us to bring it in. Do you know if the reprogramming was specifically for towing, or was it for all Escapes?

I just had this happen to my 2010 Escape with automating. Griffin Ford (dealer in Waukesha Wisconsin) was very helpful. Ford fixed it under warranty with no question. It isn't really a question of air flow as much as transmission fluid level and following the Ford instructions. After they fixed it and filled it to the proper level I towed it back to Kansas with no problem.

The transmission fluid level needs to be set per Ford Service TSB 09-20-13. Ask your Ford dealer to do this. most dealers and aftermarket places fill the transmission too full for towing and then the heat of towing expands the fluid too much and and it cooks.

Just be sure to follow all instructions for warm-up and going through the gears before you tow, and run the transmission after a maximum of 6 hours on the road. I love the car and it works fine if you follow the Ford recommendations.

JUST BE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT FLUID LEVEL. :rolleyes:

I just had this happen to my 2010 Escape with automating. Griffin Ford (dealer in Waukesha Wisconsin) was very helpful. Ford fixed it under warranty with no question. It isn't really a question of air flow as much as transmission fluid level and following the Ford instructions. After they fixed it and filled it to the proper level I towed it back to Kansas with no problem.

The transmission fluid level needs to be set per Ford Service TSB 09-20-13. Ask your Ford dealer to do this. most dealers and aftermarket places fill the transmission too full for towing and then the heat of towing expands the fluid too much and and it cooks.

Just be sure to follow all instructions for warm-up and going through the gears before you tow, and run the transmission after a maximum of 6 hours on the road. I love the car and it works fine if you follow the Ford recommendations.

JUST BE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT FLUID LEVEL. :rolleyes:

We have been towing with the correct fluid level with no problem, but have read of at least two people who burned up with the proper fluid level. I'm still hoping this will do the trick, but I won't have confidence in this fix until I tow it this summer on a longer trip. We have our dealer document the fluid level before leaving and also check it ourself to be sure that it is correct. We had two transmissions replaced under warranty before they figured out that the fluid level needed to be lowered (the 2009 does not have it listed in the owner's manual like the 2010 does). There was a very good thread on a Ford Forum regarding these issues until the Ford site was hacked and that forum was deleted.

IMPORTANT

I just received a copy of the "Customer Satisfaction Program" noted above, which we have already have performed. ALSO ENCLOSED was a notice that the towing instructions in the Owner's Guide are incorrect. They included an "Owner Guide Supplement" with the notice. While reading the revised instructions (which all have to do with the reduced fluid level that we have already discussed), I noticed an important instruction. The booklet says that you must have the fluid level verified by an authorized dealer before towing. I feel this is definitely a way for them to start denying paying for a new transmission if there is still a problem and the fluid level hasn't been verified by a dealer. We will be stopping at the dealer for verification before every trip. What a pain! But paying for the transmission if there is a problem and we DON'T have it verified will be a bigger pain. Anyway - I thought this was important info to share.

Knock on wood. 2400 miles into trip with 2009 AWD automatic Escape. Had Dealer do baseplate and he checked for service bullitens. Found the one about lowering the fluid level, because of wrong markings on dip stick. We read over the paper and it calls for running the car through the gears for 5 minutes every 6 hours. Not towing over 65 MPH. We've been stopping every 2 to 3 hours to run trannie. Holding below 65 is the challenge out here where the speed limit is 75, get some mean looks even from fellow RVers. Hope our luck holds as we both like the car. Will talk to dealer when we get home about the re-programing. Good luck to the rest of you. Safe travels.

Thank you - we had not received a copy of the recall, so we just called our dealer and they told us to bring it in. Do you know if the reprogramming was specifically for towing, or was it for all Escapes?

I do not know! I have a copy of the email that Stokes-Craaven in Minning SC gave me "of the so called recall" and under the New Field Service Actions were 3 items:

First one had to do with Front Seat Manual Recliner Replacement.

Second one was as follows:Customer Satisfaction Program 10B15: Certain 2010 Model Year Fusion and Milan and Certain 2009 and 2010 Modle Year Escape and Mariner Vehicles Equipped with 6F35 Transmission: Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming.

Third was a new set of Four Wheel Down Towing Instructions.

As you can see item 2 did not mention Towing. I have a copy of of the instructions and the only changes from my manual are: change "AWD to 4WD" (2 places) and change "ALL to Four".

John

I do not know! I have a copy of the email that Stokes-Craaven in Minning SC gave me "of the so called recall" and under the New Field Service Actions were 3 items:

First one had to do with Front Seat Manual Recliner Replacement.

Second one was as follows:Customer Satisfaction Program 10B15: Certain 2010 Model Year Fusion and Milan and Certain 2009 and 2010 Modle Year Escape and Mariner Vehicles Equipped with 6F35 Transmission: Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming.

Third was a new set of Four Wheel Down Towing Instructions.

As you can see item 2 did not mention Towing. I have a copy of of the instructions and the only changes from my manual are: change "AWD to 4WD" (2 places) and change "ALL to Four".

John

On 6/10 I talked to the Service Director at the dealer where I purchased my Milan and was told the Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming was to make the Tx shift more smoother.

John

We just bought a 2009 Ford Escape, auto transmission about six weeks ago. We towed it about 500 miles, by the book, and the transmission is burnt. They are getting us a new one.

They said it got too hot towing it. I wonder if the tow shield is covering up some kind of vent?

Anyone else have trouble?

- Lilly and Marty Schermerhorn

Hi, I'm a new member and I have a 2006 Escape, front wheel drive. I was told I couldn't tow it on 4 wheels. So I tow it on a two wheel dolly. No problems. Good Luck. E Bowles, Canada

WE JUST PURCHASED A 2010 FORD ESCAPE FWD FOR OUR TOAD. DOES ANYONE HAVE A 2010? IF SO HAVE YOU HAD ANY TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS? HAD IT TO DEALER TO LOWER FLUID LEVELS YESTERDAY. HOPE TO GO ON SMALL TRIP TO SEE IF ANYTHING HAPPENS. WILL KEEP YOU UPDATE IF ANYTHING HAPPENS. HAPPY RVING

Russell,

We have an 2 month old 2010 Ford Escape, 6 cylinder, two wheel drive, and towed it for the first time last Saturday. We had our home Ford dealer check and lower the transmission fluid level before leaving. We ran the car for 5 minutes, went through recommended gear sequence, and did not exceed 65 mph. This is day one of a 3 month trip for us. Someone motioned for us to pull over after 160 miles, the car was smoking and oil everywhere. Of course this happened on a Saturday, so no one could look at it until Monday. We are still waiting to hear back from the area Ford dealer. Very frustrating, we are 200 miles from home, and 800 miles from our destination. If someone could tell us something, at least we could decide which way to go. We had to rent a car, since they only give loaners to people that have purchased an extended warranty. We have already paid for our destination campground (all our friends are waiting on us), and now are having to pay here as well. Not to mention the 100 degree temperatures! We are retired and spend more time RVing than we do at home. As much as we love the car, we would have never considered purchasing a Ford Escape if the owner's manual had not indicated it could be towed 4 wheels down. Wish we had read this forum before we had problems. Seems like Ford would have fixed this by now. If they are buying back cars, they apparently have known about this problem since they went with the new transmission in the 2009 models.

Hope you had better luck than us! Let us know.

We are now on our 3rd transmission, having same overheating/failure problems as others. One dealer said we were lucky not to have a fireball in our rear camera. Out of service 38 days (in less than a year) exceeds Arkansas lemon law, but Ford refuses to comply and repurchase. Presently going thru Better Business Bureau autoline for arbitration. If no success there, will have to file lawsuit. Wish we had bought something else.

Well our 2009 Escape V6 AWD made it. We did 5700 miles from NJ out to South Dakota and Wyoming, Utah, Colorado. Plenty of up and downs in the mountains. Kept speed at or below 65 MPH, stoped every 2 to 3 hours to run through the gears and exercise the transmission. We then took a 1200 mile trip from NJ down to Alabama and back using the same routine. As before still OK. We have a 'bra' for the front of the Escape but I have not used it for fear of cutting off cooling to the front of the car. Do not know what I'm doing different but I sure hope it holds up. Could get expensive if they stop honoring the trany warranty.

We are getting ready to leave tomorrow for a trip from Phoenix to Oregon. I am not confident that we will not have the same problems as last year. I firmly believe that the outside temperature affects this, and it will be 110-115 when we leave. We went to the dealer and had them check and document the fluid level per the supplemental towing guide we received. (The new guide says that you must have a dealer check the fluid level - I'm sure this is the way they will get out of replacing future transmissions.) I had to educate another new service manager regarding the issue. Sigh. He then documented that the transmission fluid was "full". I explained that it had better not be "full" and needed to be at the level for towing. My husband went and observed the tech check the fluid and I made him rewrite the service order to document that the "transmission fluid level was at the proper level for towing behind and RV". I will update regarding any issues (or nonissues, I hope), that we have on this trip. Also - on another issue - while on the fordforumsonline.com website, I found out that there was a TSB regarding seat staining (ours has a white ring, caused by plain water, that would not come out). They are replacing the whole seat. They found an oil leak as well, so with 19,000 miles on this car (6,000 since we purchased it), we've had to replace two transmissions, two O2 sensors, and now an oil pan gasket, in addition to having the transmission reprogram recall fix completed. Wish I had bought something else....

:rolleyes: Well - we didn't make it - transmission number 3 just burned up despite doing everything by the book and then some. We stopped every 200 miles or less, drove 60 or less and had the dealer document the transmission fluid level in writing with my husband present.

I hate this car.

We bought a 2010 Escape FWD as our toad in Feb 2010, third time out (July 4) our longest (less then 200 miles) since we purchased the car, and ended up having to have it towed to the closest Ford dealer (where it is today). Yes, it too has a burnt up transmission. Service tech said it was our fault. Having to go thru a Ford Rep for warranty approval, no telling when we will get it back, this is the start of the third week and they still havn't started working on it. :rolleyes:

2010 Mercury Mariner

Well, we just got back from a 1500 mile trip from Ohio to Vermont, NH and Maine. We followed the steps and started the car twice a day and kept the speed under 65mph. We are on our second transmission which was installed in May. The Ford dealer said this one was modified with some type of baffle assembly. So far so good, but we will continue to "test" it in August with a trip from Ohio to Tenn, and then Ohio to Indiana.

I finally have a chance to update more on our issue. We traveled 900 of our 1200 mile trip before having a problem. (This is a record for a transmission that we have owned.) We did not have any problems on day one despite the 115 degree weather. On day 2 we had to travel a long distance in order to make it for a grandson's baseball game. We drove about 550 miles, stopping every 2 hours to start the car and run it thru the gears. We were good until about 350 miles in, then the transmission light came on and we could see the fluid on the back of the car again and smell the burnt transmission fluid. After running for a little while, the light went out. The car has been driving OK, but the transmission fluid is definitely burnt. Now, 5 days later, and engine light came on. No one can get to it in the town we are in, but they did put the computer on it and it came back with some sort of intake manifold cam timing error. We are driving it to Eugene, OR tomorrow to see what can be done and make them check the transmission again as well. I hate this car.....

I had no idea of the Transmission problems with this car. I bought one in March and have been on the road since May 1st with about 3600 miles towing and 7500 miles driven. We had the reprogramming of the trans in Washington in June. While changing oil noticed oil leak on the transmission case and check the fluid and found it to be almost a quart low (did not show at first). Had a couple of hard shifts in drive and reverse and s couple of not starting until holing key and running through the gears until it started.

We took it to the dealer in Cambridge, Mn and he saw our California plates and said "You came straight here and overheated the trans" I told him I have been on the road since May and do the 2-2-2- rule (Go 200 miles get there by 2 o'clock and stay 2 days.) and do the warm up and shift routine. He then came back and said they would replace the transmission with new one with new components in the trans to prevent a repeat of the problem. I guess time will tell if it will work. I will be keeping a closer watch on it for sure.

Bil