Eugene dealer originally agreed engine light was related to transmission. Now they have back tracked and said that the solenoids have been a problem and just need to be replaced. Suddenly, the fluid on our back window must have come from the RV, and the transmission fluid always smells like that. Amazingly, it didn't smell like that when we left two days earlier. They say the fluid isn't burnt, but does seem a little dark for the miles - gee, you mean the whole 5,000 miles we've put on the car since the transmission was replaced last year, or the 500 miles since the dealer checked the fluid in Phoenix? They are going to fix the solenoids, but do nothing with the transmission. Since it is running, we are just going to keep going and tow it home and wait for it to burn up the rest of the way again and take it back to our dealer.

Tried to go to Ford to buy it back, but were told there were too many miles on it. We bought it last year with 13,000 miles on it as a certified used car and have put only 6,000 miles on it since then. (Who has time to drive it when it is always in the shop?) Will try to get some satisfaction from our dealer, but I think we can all agree that we are just going to lose our butts on this thing. We've decided to give up towing it either way, as two long trips in two years have been destroyed by this car.

The lowered fluid level will not fix the problem. We made it a little further in our 2009 Escape this time, but in the end, the result was the same - transmission number 3 did not make it back from Oregon. It is totally fried and back at the Mesa dealership that we bought it at, waiting for the Ford engineer to come look at it. Which will mean absolutely nothing. At least we had it documented in Oregon that the fluid level was correct for towing prior to starting home. (We did the same thing before we went up to Oregon). The transmission overheated on the way up to Oregon, but did not completely fry the transmission, so the Eugene dealer told us that everything was fine. We had to have some solenoids replaced after the engine light came on, but they insisted that this was unrelated. We are attempting to get Ford to buy back the car, but don't expect much luck, since we bought a certified pre-owned rather than a new car and we have had it for a little over a year now.

Update - they have replaced the transmission for the 3rd time. We have been assured (in writing) that my transmissions with a build date after February 8, 2010 have a modified baffle assemble that should solve the problem. However, we are still required to lower the fluid level and do all the other things (stop every 6 hours or 300 miles - although in our experience, we stop way more frequently than that). Only time will tell. We are still trying to get Ford to buy it back, as we have no confidence in it and are tired of the stress this puts on our trips. If they could really assure us that the problem was fixed, we would be happy, but I can only keep monitoring to see if others are having problems or not.

We have a 2009 Ford Escape. It has only 1900 miles on it when we got ready to tow four wheels down. We took it to our dealer that we bought it from due to a letter and new towing manual we recvd in the mail from Ford about towing 4 wheels down. They said it was fine to go. Be aware there is a Very Specific Repair That MUST be done to your transmission, especially putting in a totally different dipstick!!!!!!

We took off on Sept.2nd , stopped at a rest area for the dogs and the car would not start. We thought maybe battery. This was less than 200 miles. We stopped at the campground at 300 miles. As others have said, fluid was all over the car. We never got over 65, didn't drive longer than 3 hours due to potty breaks for the dogs. It was towed to a dealer and two weeks later, we had a new transmission. We took off again, got ONLY 183 miles and it is fried again. Ford towed it to another dealer who knew about the service bulletin. After only one week this time, we have a new transmission. We have by then been in contact with Ford Corp. who could not assure us that this third transmission would be ok!!!! We took off, in the rain, and stopped every two hours as we were so paranoid. We arrived at the campground and the car seemed to be fine, but it was still raining so couldn't really see the fluid. The next day, we take it through it's paces as per the manual before hitting the road.

Our first rest area, stuff on the back window. We try to tell ourselves it is just blowoff from the road. We call our contact at Ford Corp. She sends us to a dealer in Bettendorf, Ia. The service person checks the fluid level which is fine, looks at the rear window and says, no, I think you are ok. Well, we head on. We camp for 8 days and disconnect thecar. We wash it and work to get the gunk off the window. Fluid level still fine. Drives ok. Stalled once going from drive to reverse. At the suggestion of our contact, we take it to a dealership by us. Yes, you guessed it. The THIRD transmission has issues. There is metal flakes in the fluid and they have the thing from Ford that says what must be changed on the transmission if towing 4 wheels down.

So, here we sit again. Luckily the last two repair places gave us cars to use as we have nothing. While it is being"fixed" we are sitting here wondering what to do now. We do not feel this car should or can be towed. We wish we would have read this site before ever buying it but theta told us it could, showed us the documentation as we wanted to see it in writing and we wanted to support Ford as they did not take any bailout money.

We have been told this time it will be about a week. With the holiday, I don't feel good that will happen. We will let you all know the final outcome.

By the way, we purchased it brand new in August 2009.

We have a 2009 Ford Escape. It has only 1900 miles on it when we got ready to tow four wheels down. We took it to our dealer that we bought it from due to a letter and new towing manual we recvd in the mail from Ford about towing 4 wheels down. They said it was fine to go. Be aware there is a Very Specific Repair That MUST be done to your transmission, especially putting in a totally different dipstick!!!!!!

We took off on Sept.2nd , stopped at a rest area for the dogs and the car would not start. We thought maybe battery. This was less than 200 miles. We stopped at the campground at 300 miles. As others have said, fluid was all over the car. We never got over 65, didn't drive longer than 3 hours due to potty breaks for the dogs. It was towed to a dealer and two weeks later, we had a new transmission. We took off again, got ONLY 183 miles and it is fried again. Ford towed it to another dealer who knew about the service bulletin. After only one week this time, we have a new transmission. We have by then been in contact with Ford Corp. who could not assure us that this third transmission would be ok!!!! We took off, in the rain, and stopped every two hours as we were so paranoid. We arrived at the campground and the car seemed to be fine, but it was still raining so couldn't really see the fluid. The next day, we take it through it's paces as per the manual before hitting the road.

Our first rest area, stuff on the back window. We try to tell ourselves it is just blowoff from the road. We call our contact at Ford Corp. She sends us to a dealer in Bettendorf, Ia. The service person checks the fluid level which is fine, looks at the rear window and says, no, I think you are ok. Well, we head on. We camp for 8 days and disconnect thecar. We wash it and work to get the gunk off the window. Fluid level still fine. Drives ok. Stalled once going from drive to reverse. At the suggestion of our contact, we take it to a dealership by us. Yes, you guessed it. The THIRD transmission has issues. There is metal flakes in the fluid and they have the thing from Ford that says what must be changed on the transmission if towing 4 wheels down.

So, here we sit again. Luckily the last two repair places gave us cars to use as we have nothing. While it is being"fixed" we are sitting here wondering what to do now. We do not feel this car should or can be towed. We wish we would have read this site before ever buying it but theta told us it could, showed us the documentation as we wanted to see it in writing and we wanted to support Ford as they did not take any bailout money.

We have been told this time it will be about a week. With the holiday, I don't feel good that will happen. We will let you all know the final outcome.

By the way, we purchased it brand new in August 2009.

Start the Ford buyback process right NOW! The sooner the better. Call the Ford customer service line - they will send you paperwork. Even though we haven't had the fourth one go out and were reassured that ours should be fine now, we are going through the process and are supposed to have this completed by Monday or Tuesday. We've agreed on everything and the check was cut today.

Start the Ford buyback process right NOW! The sooner the better. Call the Ford customer service line - they will send you paperwork. Even though we haven't had the fourth one go out and were reassured that ours should be fine now, we are going through the process and are supposed to have this completed by Monday or Tuesday. We've agreed on everything and the check was cut today.

Where do I get the information to fill out?

Where do I get the information to fill out?

You have to start by calling customer service. I don't have the number right now, but just call the number in your owner's manual and tell them that you want to escalate the problem and request a buyback.

We are back with more info. After picking up our Ford Escape that was worked on again. So, we have the Technical Service Bulletin number TSB 09-20-13. It is dated October 5, 2009. It is titled - "6F35 Transmission-Recreational Towing-Vehicle With All 4 Wheels On The Ground-Expanded Guidelines To Prevent Transmission Damage.".

It is applicable to Ford 2009-2010 Escape, 2010 Fusion, 2009-2010 Mercury Mariner and 2010 Milan equipped with a 6f35 AUTOMATIC transmission. It states that ".....The transmission shift concern may be caused by heat build up in the transmission due to the transmission level being too high, towing over 65 mph and/or not stopping to run the engine at idle for 5 minutes every 6 hours or less, to cool the transmission."

Now those of us that have problems, now that the later is not the issue. What is the issue is the fluid level!!!! You must have the new dipstick and tube on your transmission that allows you to measure a lower and more accurate amount of fluid to have in the transmission. Too much fluid is causing a foaming effect which causes other things (I am not the techie one) to happen and then the blowing out of the fluid occurs. Once that happens, it begins to fry itself.

So, the bulletin states that for 2009 Escapes or Mariners made on or before 10/28/08 - they must replace the dipstick and tube to ensure the fluid levels are correct.

Oh, we also learned that the car's system is also tracking the overheating problem. So, if you think all is finally fixed, as we did, Ford can run self tests. One of the memory checks kicked out a P1873-transmission over temp condition on the latest, new transmission that had been installed. Luckily this Ford dealer, pulled out all bulletins and found that the new transmission that had been installed for us, did not have the correct dipstick, tube and was too full of fluid. Luckily they found this before we began towing again as they said we would probably have blown another one.

Well, we hope all of this helps you out there. We are going to try towing it again in a couple of days. Hopefully Ford has finally got it right this time.

I hope it works out for you, but if you actually read through this whole forum, you will see that we burned up our third transmission even with the correct fluid level. . However, they have also made a change to all the transmissions built after February 8, 2010. We never towed with BOTH the lowered level AND the new transmission. We had the dipstick replaced and the fluid lowered. If I were you, I would still initiate the process, as it is very time-consuming. If you tow and don't have a problem, you don't have to complete the process. I'm just thrilled that we were able to get ours bought back and as of yesterday the process is complete!

I hope it works out for you, but if you actually read through this whole forum, you will see that we burned up our third transmission even with the correct fluid level. . However, they have also made a change to all the transmissions built after February 8, 2010. We never towed with BOTH the lowered level AND the new transmission. We had the dipstick replaced and the fluid lowered. If I were you, I would still initiate the process, as it is very time-consuming. If you tow and don't have a problem, you don't have to complete the process. I'm just thrilled that we were able to get ours bought back and as of yesterday the process is complete!

Did it have to be bought back at the dealer where you bought it? Just wondering in case it doesn't make it back to Florida.

Yes, maybe the magic will be new transmission just off the line, new dipstick and tube and lower fluid level. We will let everyone know as we leave this coming Tuesday and are only going 220 miles.

Let's hope!

The Conrads

Well, we are back in Florida and have met with the dealership about this 2009 Ford Escape. We met with the Service Mgr. as we wanted to share what happened and to understand why they did not do what needed to be done before we left town. We also wanted to see if they would work with us to take this car off our hands.

Bottom line: Jarrett-Gordon Ford in Davenport, Florida - said we needed to talk to Ford Corporate about buying the car back.

They also said, and I quote, "they would never buy the Ford Escape to tow". Wow, this is from the Service Dept. Folks. They don't think it should be towed and even with the service bulletin, which we gave them a copy of, they still would not tow it.

They said IT IS THE SAME TRANSMISSION even if you lower the fluid level. They did not even have a copy of the Service Bulletin from FORD!!! How can they be expected to service something when they don't have the fix???? They advised us to contact the Better Business Bureau and try Ford Corp. Again!!!

I called Ford Corporate yesterday, 10/27/10. They called back this morning and told me "We understand your concerns, we are sorry, but we are not in the business of buying back cars!!!!!!

So, do what you need to do according to your rights as outlined in your manuals from Ford, one of them being the Florida Lemon Law booklet."

SO THERE FOLKS. I recommend never buying this vehicle to tow. Even with the final dipstick fix and lower fluid levels, it is running hot when you stop.

Our friends bought a new 2010 and were ready to tow last week. They got 35 miles from home.!!!! Our other friends bought a 2011, and they are now afraid to even try. Luckily they did not get all the front end equipment installed yet so they are not out that money.

Now, I guess we try litigation!!!!!! I did contact the BBB today and look forward to filing out all the paperwork! Not!

I did though tell the Ford person that I would put this out on the blog and tell everyone I know. He said, do what I needed to do. HUMMMMMMMMM.

When we called customer service at Ford, we asked that the problem be escalated and that was when we received the info in the mail from the BBB to fill out. The settlement is according to the Lemon Law in your state. The paperwork was somewhat time-consuming, but fairly straight-forward. I will say that we are pleased with the settlement that we ended up with. The most frustrating part to me was that they would not give you a "number" until you agreed to settle. You were told to figure it out yourself based on the formula in the booklet. Our situation was a little different, as we bought a certified pre-owned, so there were already miles on the car and we had a disagreement as to what mileage should be used in computing the buyback. However, since a "certified pre-owned" is still considered a "used" car, we were happy we were able to do anything at all, as the AZ law only gives 15 days on used cars, but they treated ours as if it was new. If it turns out that you don't qualify at this point, keep towing it until you burn up another one. That was our plan. And unfortunately, it WILL happen. Just make sure you have a dealer document the fluid level before you leave, so they cannot blame it on you. Good luck - believe my, I understand your frustration!

When we called customer service at Ford, we asked that the problem be escalated and that was when we received the info in the mail from the BBB to fill out. The settlement is according to the Lemon Law in your state. The paperwork was somewhat time-consuming, but fairly straight-forward. I will say that we are pleased with the settlement that we ended up with. The most frustrating part to me was that they would not give you a "number" until you agreed to settle. You were told to figure it out yourself based on the formula in the booklet. Our situation was a little different, as we bought a certified pre-owned, so there were already miles on the car and we had a disagreement as to what mileage should be used in computing the buyback. However, since a "certified pre-owned" is still considered a "used" car, we were happy we were able to do anything at all, as the AZ law only gives 15 days on used cars, but they treated ours as if it was new. If it turns out that you don't qualify at this point, keep towing it until you burn up another one. That was our plan. And unfortunately, it WILL happen. Just make sure you have a dealer document the fluid level before you leave, so they cannot blame it on you. Good luck - believe my, I understand your frustration!

We have contacted the BBB and now have their 36 page document to go through. We also sent in the FL lemon law form to Ford and the Attorney General. We shall see what happens after all the forms are filled out and mailed. I have a feeling Ford will say it runs now so no problem :rolleyes:

We are taking the Ford to the dealership tomorrow. The Legal Analyst from Ford Corporate told us that their Field Engineer will look at the car. They will not let us talk to the Engineer or tell us what he will be doing. We asked how long they will have it, she said it depends. They are arranging for a rental for us while this is going on. I am simply amazed that they will be looking/working on our vehicle and we have no right to know what they are doing :rolleyes:

Stay tuned for more after we go through this next step. The BBB contact has told us that he will await the feedback from his Ford Contact and we can talk after Tuesday.

I just purchased to tow a 2009 Mercury Mariner, which I am told is the same vehicle as the Ford Escape, with more bells and whistles. After seeing these post I wonder if there have been any problems towing the Mariner? The manual says 65 MPH and run the engine 5 min. before and after a trip or while fueling. I towed it about 90 miles to a Rally in May without a problem. I will be towing it again next week to a rally, about 100 miles. It appears there is no problem with the short trips. I sure hope the same problems don't present in the Mariner as I have read about with the Escape. I would appreciate anyone having a Mariner to post their experience. Thanks

I bought a 2009 Mercury Mariner which has had the same problems as the Ford Escape. Followed all the procedures as written from the owners manual, and got 200 miles from home and was informed by a passing car my tow vehicle was smoking. Had it towed to a Ford Dealer and they replaced the tranny. That was in June of 2009. Towed it the whole summer of 2010 without incident. Early 2011 the transmission was skipping gears, and found fluid leaking around the shaft seal. Had it replaced, and two days later had the same issue and had a second seal replaced. First RV trip of the 2011 season, I was towing the vehicle and 100 miles from home, the transmission was smoking again. Pulled off the highway, and all the tranny fluid had overflowed out of the engine. Had it towed to the nearest Ford dealer, and once again they are replacing the transmission. I have been told they will be putting in the most updated transmission, and this should not happen again. In the meantime, I will be looking for a Toad that is more dependable. I have my eye on a GM product, with better reliability.

I bought a 2009 Mercury Mariner which has had the same problems as the Ford Escape. Followed all the procedures as written from the owners manual, and got 200 miles from home and was informed by a passing car my tow vehicle was smoking. Had it towed to a Ford Dealer and they replaced the tranny. That was in June of 2009. Towed it the whole summer of 2010 without incident. Early 2011 the transmission was skipping gears, and found fluid leaking around the shaft seal. Had it replaced, and two days later had the same issue and had a second seal replaced. First RV trip of the 2011 season, I was towing the vehicle and 100 miles from home, the transmission was smoking again. Pulled off the highway, and all the tranny fluid had overflowed out of the engine. Had it towed to the nearest Ford dealer, and once again they are replacing the transmission. I have been told they will be putting in the most updated transmission, and this should not happen again. In the meantime, I will be looking for a Toad that is more dependable. I have my eye on a GM product, with better reliability.

Be sure to follow the transmission fluid level requirements as show in the Flat Towing Guide and/or Technical Service Bulletin TSB 09-20-13. ( You can search for" TSB 09-20-13") We have towed a 2009 Escape with no problems. When you have the oil changed, be sure to notify the service people to NOT top off the transmission level as the towing requirement is for the level to be at the low end of the scale. I have even put a laminated tag on the dip stick with instruction plus I ALWAYS check the level myself.

So sorry to hear about the Escape towing problems. We actually bought a new FWD 2011 Escape six speed, 4 cyl. automatic just one month ago. We bought it specifically for towing behind our motorhome. We had not heard of any problems with towing this vehicle. I just told my husband about this blog and told him to specifically tell the techs. not to fill the transmission fluid full. If I have any problems I will post on the 2011 model.