ramblinboy

Looking for Best Barbecue

National Public TV (Channel8) in Nashville TN tried to answer that question with an hour long special a couple of years ago. They could'nt. But try Memphis, or we have found, try the little backroads shops all over the south. How about making a study on this subject and writing up your results? :rolleyes:

Guest BillAdams

If you see a tiny (I mean really tiny) road-side stand that looks like it's been there for about 100 years and could not possibly still be selling food to any right minded kind of people, and you also see a whole bunch of cars parked around the place and people stuffing their faces, you have found one of the hundreds of Mom and Pop BBQ stands with the best (in the area) BBQ. They are all amazingly different and all worth stopping by. Why not start a Blog, try them all, and keep the rest of us up-to-date. I would be great reading.

I don't know how to say this politely...you will not find go barbeque in the southeast part of the United States. Hitch your wagon and head to Texas. Its where barbeque was invented so like Bill Adams said, find that place along any back road with smoke pouring out and you'll find fall off the bone tender meat that still has texture. We don't much take to sauce to cover up the taste of good stuff either.

My point...don't try to get New England clam chowder outside New England, New York pizza in Texas, seafood gumbo in California. You get my point? I once ordered barbeque in Chicago and she asked me how I wanted it cooked. I ordered a salad.

I have a friend who takes us to many interesting BBQ restaurants here in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. He says the thing to look for is corrugated roofing used as decor in the interior of the restaurant! We find that a pretty good guide for Texas.

I contend there is great BBQ to be had most everywhere if you don't define BBQ by some very narrow artificial standard. Kansas City, MO has many fine BBQ restaurants. Memphis has already been mentioned. A favorite of ours for many years was Johnny's Smokestack (now Johnny's Pit BBQ) in Rolla, Missouri. We haven't been there in a number of years. The place did burn to the ground several times in the past - another good indicator for a BBQ restaurant!

While checking on Johnny's I came across a web site called Roadfood.com which might be worth exploring if eating your way across country is what you do! They have reviews on 158 BBQ restaurants across the entire country. Their focus is: "The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America."

Thanks to all who shared their recommendations. It does seem like a great topic for a blog - you might even need a bowl of lemon water beside your keyboard if it's done right! I'm putting all of your recommendations into my GPS device. You all know how to add favouriites to your Garmin by just using Google maps right? Might be a topic for another discussion. Here's to that magical animal - the hog!

Ramblinboy

I have a friend who takes us to many interesting BBQ restaurants here in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. He says the thing to look for is corrugated roofing used as decor in the interior of the restaurant! We find that a pretty good guide for Texas.

I contend there is great BBQ to be had most everywhere if you don't define BBQ by some very narrow artificial standard. Kansas City, MO has many fine BBQ restaurants. Memphis has already been mentioned. A favorite of ours for many years was Johnny's Smokestack (now Johnny's Pit BBQ) in Rolla, Missouri. We haven't been there in a number of years. The place did burn to the ground several times in the past - another good indicator for a BBQ restaurant!

While checking on Johnny's I came across a web site called Roadfood.com which might be worth exploring if eating your way across country is what you do! They have reviews on 158 BBQ restaurants across the entire country. Their focus is: "The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America."

Bodacious in Texas can be good. Admittedly it is a chain but sometimes very good. Since my original post, we visited the one north of Tyler, TX and it was not even close to being as good as 4 years ago. They've lost their touch in operation of the smoke house and not nearly as good on service. There is a place in Rusk, TX that used to be a Bodacious that is very good.

Gary Lee's in Brunswick, Ga is also very good. He caters to the working class and gets many worker bee customers for lunch every day.

I agree that the ramshackle places that you would normally pass up might be worth a second look. There is one these in Ville Platte, La. We would never in the world have stopped there if it hadn't been recommended. Lesson learned, don't go by appearances, go by the number of cars in the lot.

I tried Bodacious in Boumont, TX. Really mediocre. Try Black's BBQ in Lockhart, TX. They are now on QVC channel on TV. They have been around about 50 years and still owned by the same family. Super tasting lean brisket. They can be found on the internet under blacksbbq.com

We're touring the SE US where's the best fall off the bone natural smoked BBQ?

Ramblinboy.....for ribs try RENDEVOUZ in Memphis (across street from Peabody Hotel in an alley). For the best brisket and pecan cobbler in this world, go to TEXAS PRIDE in the area north of San Antonio area close to Randolph AFB.

Happy travels and good eatin'....

Paul

Born and raised in TEXAS. Had BBQ lots of places. Hard to say which was the best because they all had something better the the others. The one place that I have never been to is The Salt Lick near Austin, TX. Heard about it for more year then I will mention. Some one tell me if they have been there and how was it. :)

We've eaten BBQ all over the country and have enjoyed good smokey ribs and sauces in many places. There are many mediocre places, but wow there are some outstanding rib joints from coast to coast. So far there are only two categories of BBQ that I don't really care for. One is the mustard thing they do in some places in the Carolinas and the other is the mesquite some places in the West use. Most mesquite is really good but we ate in a couple of places in Texas where the mesquite smoked brisket tasted like kerosene. Never could figure why.

We also think the sides are almost as important as the meat.

If you are near Dahlonega Georgia, there is a little BBQ joint on the corner of Highway 52 and Long Branch Rd. Sorry I don't know the name but good smokey, tender BBQ with some very good beans which are different.

The best barbecue in the southeast is at Corky's Barbecue, 5259 Poplar Ave, Memphis, TN. Not the one downtown, but the one east of town (the original). Get there early because parking is a problem, but the food is wonderful. You can get wet or dry pork ribs and the meat is fall off the bone good. We go through there often and eat dinner and then buy three slabs, cut in half, and freeze it for use on the road.

The Georgia Pig at Brunswick, Ga is mediocre in my opinion. Drive about six miles west to Gary Lee's. Their meats are so much better with a lot more variety and great sides. They do a huge business with lunch takeouts by the locals. The locals know.

I really love to see all of these answers. It goes back to the old saying "Mine is Bigger then yours". It is quit clear that this great country has some awsome BBQ places. And not every one agrees on which is best. Taste, location, decor, people, menu, and on and on. These answers have given me alot of places to try on our travels. Thanks to all, But Mine IS bigger then yours.

HAPPY RVING! :lol::lol::lol:

I had forgotten about a blog entry I made a couple of years ago about a BBQ place in N. Carolina. Blog link Check down near the bottom of the page. As can be seen from the photos, I do like to eat!

Ward