deluco

Sewer Hose Kit Recommendations

I purchased a RhinoFlex system when I purchased my (first) class A motorhome last March. So far, after one season I'm quite pleased with it. The latest issue of Family Motor Coaching had part 2 of an article on Waste Management, in which they mentioned the Polychute system. I checked it out online at polychute.com and while it does appear to have some excellent features, the $149 price tag was almost five times what you'd pay for the RhinoFlex system.

My question to you all is what are your experiences with hose kits and what would you recommend?

Guest BillAdams

It only says that it will perform well for years. At that price I can buy a lot of standard hoses! I like the Camco hose that stays collapsed when not using it and extends to whatever length you like. I doubt I buy one per year but even if I did it would take 6 years to break even.

If you wanted to buy this hose it would have to be for the questionable features such as a smooth interior and seals on both ends when not in use. In 13 years of full-timing I have no found either of these to be an issue.

Guest Wayne77590

I use the Rhino Flex also, Mfg, by Camco or supplied by them. I have been using one for 3 years now with great results, even after stepping on it. I did purchase a new one recently because I like the new swivel design that they have. As Bill stated, I like the way it collapses and stays that way. It's not a "loose" slinky. I also have the 5 foot extension and in 3 years I have used it once. I'm glad I had it.

I also had split to rubber washers for the end that snaps onto the screw end. I called Camco and they sent me two replacements. They said at the time they were working on stocking those washers (O rings) in the dealers store. I don't know if they have done that yet, but if your O ring splits, give them a call.

I also cannot see spending $150 for a sewer line.

I nursed along a cheap hose from Wal-Mart for seven years before purchasing Rhino-Flex. That is as up-scale as I would go. The Rhino-Flex is really great, collapses and stays collapsed. Once collapsed, rinsed and drained, I store the hose horizontally and don't need end caps. We also have a macerator so we don't use the 3" hose as often as others though being full time for 9 1/2 years meant heavy use by any standard.

I also use the Rhino Flex and also have a macerator pump. I prefer to use the 3" hose especially when staying somewhere for a long period of time. I learned to not use a cheap hose the hard way. If you saw the movie RV and the gusher when he was dumping you can picture my problem with a cheap hose. Mine started with a small drop and as I bent to check out the small leak, it got bigger. You would be surprised how much pressure builds up when a black tank is being emptied. Not a gusher, but a steady little stream that got me in the forehead. Have used the Rhino ever since.

Ward

I purchased a RhinoFlex system when I purchased my (first) class A motorhome last March. So far, after one season I'm quite pleased with it. The latest issue of Family Motor Coaching had part 2 of an article on Waste Management, in which they mentioned the Polychute system. I checked it out online at polychute.com and while it does appear to have some excellent features, the $149 price tag was almost five times what you'd pay for the RhinoFlex system.

My question to you all is what are your experiences with hose kits and what would you recommend?

Deluco,

FIRT LET ME THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

(I saw one time that capitols means you are raising your voice and I am so all can hear.)

I first heard about RhinoFlex hose from a friend that bought it at one of FMCAs National Rallies. I thought he paid a very high price for it. However I found it at Camping World for about a third of what he paid. I use the RhinoFlex everytime we camp. It is great. What I like about it is how it stores. The only draw back is when one section is not quite enough and you must use two sections It will snake open more if there is a lot of slack in the hose. But that is a very small point compaired to how good it stores and how durable its.

Well, after Gary Bunzer's endorsement of the product, I sprang for the big bucks and got the Polychute and the extension hose. It may have been overkill, but I imagine this will be the only set I'll ever have to buy.

I get quite a few questions about it probably because of it's bright tourquoise color and big shutoff valve. It does seem to draw attention, and even several conversations. Imagine that - conversations about sewer hoses! Isn't retirement great?

I'm probably the only person I know who worries about his sewer hose being stolen.

Go ahead - call me a fool, but I smile every time I use it.

My first Rhino blew out along the folds after 8 months of use (I am a fulltimer, so it is out almost all the time). That burned me a bit on Rhino so I replaced with a very similar hose named Ramble. It has lasted 3 years, and just last month I had to cut off apx 6" when it split along a fold near one end. Then we arrived in our current park and found the previous RVer had abandoned a long Rhino. It had a fitting on one end only, so I bought a fitting for the other end ..we'll see how long this one lasts!

I recently purchased, in January a 2010 Winnebago Journey Express and have taken two trips (some of us still have to hold up the economy at least until early 2012). On both trips the sewer hold came undone when I dumped. The first was at the Pit Stop in Quartzsite AZ, I used their hose and their connection was well worn. The second was last weekend and I used my own hose, which is in excellent condition.

I have been RVing for sometime and have never experienced this. Does the Winnebago require a special hose? I noticed when the dump valves open the tanks empty very quickly.

Any recommendations

Ed and Louise

Winnebago does not require anything special. I pretty much stick with the red Valtera ends that screw into the hose. I add a bit of silicone caulk to the threads, then a round of duct tape and a clamp. They don't leak or come loose, and last longer than the hose. I now have a Rhino with Rhino ends. They do go on easier ...don't know yet how secure/leak-proof they are.

I use the RhinoFlex system on my 2008 Winnebago with excellent results