hermanmullins

Food On The Road

How about adding a topic for places to eat along the highways and byways. One poster asked where he could find the best BBQ.

I know there are lots of folks out there that have that one spot they always try to stop and eat when they are in a certain area.

I will start it off:

If you are traveling through Oklahoma on Hwy 69 stop in Chouteau [show-toe]. At the one traffic light turn West and turn right just over the Rail Road tracks (maybe 100 yards off the highway). Have lunch at the DUTCH PANTRY. It is run by Mennonites and it is a buffet (we know how RVers like Buffets). Home made desserts that you would die for. Everything is home made and it is all you can eat for one price including drink and dessert.

Anyone else out there have a favorite spot?

So far there have been several good sounding places. One thing for a good spot is parking. Do they have parking for RVs with toads.

Good idea. Here are a few on the top of my list.

McAllen, Texas - Republic of the Rio Grande - 10th Street just N of US 83. This is fine dining, full bar, excellent wine list, great steaks and brick oven pizzas. Great "atmosphere" dining inside or casual outdoor dining when weather is agreeable.

McAllen, and other locations in Texas - Double Dave's Pizzaworks - 7700 N. 10th Street (just N of Trenton Road and 10th Street - Reeealyyyy Grrrreaat Pizza!

Sikeston, Missouri - Lambert's Cafe - Home of Throwed Rolls (look for the billboards!) - Family style meals and watch out for those rolls! We used to fly to Sikeston to eat here, frequently brought friends along.

Westlaco, Texas - Fat Daddy's BBQ - on FM1015 (International Boulevard) at the south edge of town. Generous servings of good BBQ. A favorite stop on our way back home from a day trip to Progresso, Mexico.

Mission, Texas - Danny's Mexican Restaurant - Business 83 one block west of TX Hwy 107. Real Mexican food, not Tex-Mex. There are several Danny's Restaurants in the Rio Grande Valley, all run by the same family.

San Antonio, Texas - The County Line BBQ - On the Riverwalk. A fancier restaurant than most of those above but great food. County Line is a local chain in Texas.

Most anywhere in Texas - Whataburger - Yes, seriously, we love their hamburgers. Great fast food with good service. This is always our first stop for food when we return to Texas in the fall!

St. Louis, Missouri and other locations in the midwest - Steak-n-Shake - More fast food, steakburgers and real shakes and malts (with a cherry) served on glass plates!

Wentzville, Missouri - Fritz's Frozen Custard - I-70 Service Road E of Wentzville Parkway on Pierce Boulevard - A St. Louis area legend. Great stop for Ice Cream, Shakes, huge menu. Usually real busy on summer evenings! Closed through the heart of the Midwest winter!

If you get a chance, while in Madison WI for the rally, hit Ella's Deli, a Madison institution. It's on East Washington Ave, on the opposite side of town from the rally grounds, but the whole family will enjoy the food and the decorations, including numerous mechanical toys and even a carousel for the kids to ride.

If you happen to be in the Texas hill country, try Rudys on IH10 at Leon Springs (just outside San Antonio) and Coopers BBQ in Llano (their pork chops are excellent).

If you want some help here from people who are serious about their food, check out Roadfood.com. They have a database of restaurants with ratings by individuals/members. You can search the site by kind of restaurant or by state, etc. Their motto is: "The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America." Sounds like our kind of spots!

Guest Wayne77590

For on the road:

For when ya'll are on the road and near Texas City, TX, we have Grand Prize BBQ.

If'n ya'll are further North on US-290 of Hwy 77, there is a town called Giddings, TX, try out the City Meat Market

If'n ya'll are in Austin, try Rudy's or Salt Lick.

San Antonio - County Line.

Now ya'll don't ferget that Texas has the best Mexican food. None of that pot roast fer meat. In Texas they use real skirt steak for Fajita's and other types of fare. Then there is the good old ground beef called hamburger, but the skirt steak is more tasty.

Guest BillAdams
If you want some help here from people who are serious about their food, check out Roadfood.com. They have a database of restaurants with ratings by individuals/members. You can search the site by kind of restaurant or by state, etc. Their motto is: "The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America." Sounds like our kind of spots!

Thanks for this link. Visiting new restaurants along the road is one of our favorite hobbies. This should add a whole new way of finding them and maybe we can add some data about our favorite haunts.

Arnold's Drive In, Decatur Indiana is one of our favorite stops. Old fashioned drive-in with curb service girls on skates. They serve all of your favorite sixties style food and shakes. Best burger made according to my bride. While in the area, go to the Wilshire drive inn on highway 30 in I think Wilshire Indiana but may be Ohio. Near the border.

Szabo's (sp) in Newport Oregon for the best bread pudding. While there visit Yaquina Head Lighthouse which is truly gorgeous.

Basnight's Lone Cedar Restaurant, Nags Head North Carolina- The best she crab soup and creme brulee' which you can enjoy while watching osprey feed their young right outside the window.

Seineyard Restaurant, Woodville Florida- great seafood.

Ward

For those going to Perry, go West at Tifton to a the little town of Sylvester. HERE IS THE TREAT OF THE YEAR! ! ! Carroll's Sausage and Meat Market has a thing they call stuffed pork chops. Forget everything you have heard about stuffed pork chops! These are stuffed with some of the best sausage you have ever slid between your lips. They make several different styles of sausage which just simply can't be beat. Warning!! after one trip, you will want to make this a regular stop and even go way out of the way for this one.

Ward

Guest BillAdams

Wow, where to begin!

My favorite BBQ in the SW is http://www.lucillesbbq.com

One of my favorite pizza places is http://www.cpk.com unless I am in Vegas and then you just have to find Metro Pizza http://www.metropizza.com Don't miss taking a loaf of that bread home with you. Brickyard Pizza (Albuquerque, NM is our only experience) is also a must visit.

Potbelly Sandwich works http://www.potbelly.com/Home/Default.aspx is a great change of pace sandwich shop.

The very best of the steakhouse experience is Houston's Restaurant. Our favorite is in the Orlando, FL area due to the restaurants atmosphere. http://www.hillstone.com/#/restaurants/houstons/

As mentioned above, Whataburger is one of our favorites but this is one of our favorite breakfast places.

I am sure there are more so let me think a bit and I will see if I can remember what they are.

Another Perry, Ga., area eating place is a Mennonite buffet called Yoder's. It is near Montezuma, Ga. (on the road to Andersonville, Americus and Plains), west of Perry. Yoder's also has an in house bakery shop that sells great breads and desserts.

Judy and Jerry Aselton

Ellijay, Ga.

2006 National Dolphin LX 5355

2008 Jeep Liberty