tireman9

Actual Corner Loads?

If you get a chance, you should attend one of Tireman9's seminars. I attended his seminar in Bowling Green, OH several years ago and it was very enlightening.

He is a serious researcher with a long professional career in tire engineering. He is aware of research techniques and understands the statistical problems with a small sample. I've sent my data to him directly and I encourage others to do so as well.

I think an additional bit of information that would be useful is to do a survey at a convention to find out how many people had corner weights for their motor home. I'm afraid that this information would be shocking. Getting corner weights is difficult. Only those who are serious about tire safety and understand the need for knowing the weight on each tire position are going to take the time to locate a place to do this and then get it done. I would bet that the percentage of motor home owners who have corner weights is less than 5%.

MikeV I would like to know where you were able to rent the digital scales for weighing your coach yourself. That might help some people get their corner weights. How much did it cost and did they provide recent calibration information for the scales?

Hi Tom, sorry about the delay, I found the wheel pad scale at a company called Interweigh Systems in Toronto, Ont, Canada. One wheel pad was approx $75 for a day's rental. It might be less if you could go to their location plus they could use 4 at once.... It was a little pricey but I have been unable to find any sites to get my rig done and I was anxious to get my corner weights. Interweigh provides many different weighing types of products and do scale certifications as well so I was confident in what I was getting. They did provide me with documentation saying the scale was calibrated. Doing the corner weights with one pad was awkward but renting the scale allowed me the time to unload and then load the coach to do some comparisons.

Here's a question, does the FMCA have a set of wheel pad scales? It might be a service for a fee they could provide to members travelling through Cincinnati?

Anyway hope this helps.

Well so far I have received one PM with actual corner loads. Since I am presenting a seminar "Tire Basics for RV Owner" at Madison, WI Convention, I would really like some data from FMCA members and not have to depend on the other club members to provide actual data.

I am sure there must be a few here who have had their coach weighed by RVSEF at a convention sometime.

Here is another class A coach for you:

LF - 5150, RF - 5050 = 10,200 Lbs (Front GAWR rating - 12000 lbs)

LR - 9375, RR - 9350 = 18,725 Lbs. (Rear GAWR rating - 20000 lbs)

(GVWR - 32000 lbs.)