Sign in to follow this  
lebjdixon

What's The Best Handsfree Walkie Talkies

Any ideas on a good set of handsfree walkie talkie, so my husband and I can communicate with each other when he is parking the Coach-- something he can use and still keep his hands on the wheel, maybe a headset?

Thanks for any info: Brenda

Hi lebjdixon,

I have the product mentioned in Shields' post. I would not purchase the product again. They use an AM frequency. This means automotive interference is high. In our set, there is buzzing in the background anytime the engine is running. My grandson and I use them and it is difficult to hear the person in the back. The bottom line is I started using the same hand signals airlines use when they park a jet liner at the gate. They are simple to learn and provide very clear direction to the driver.

Guest Wayne77590

I have to say that hand signals are by far less troublesome than trying to communicate through cell phones, walkie talkie, or other electronic devises. Even the 1 finger hand wave gets the driver's attention.

Do a web search on the words "hand signals for backing," without the quotes, and you will get a bunch of information that you can message to your liking. Also note when you do that search that there is a link on how to teach your dog to back up using hand signals. You may want to point this out to the driver to make sure they understand that hand signals work for humans also.

The hand signals work for airlines, so why not for a motorhome.

Well, I hate to admit but Linda and I have found a system that works well for us. We use hand held walkie-talkies but she maneuvers the coach at the campgrounds while I am outside guiding. Hers sits in the coffe cup holder so she can hear me. Besides that I am quite fussy as far as the position of the coach especially when we park for a month. She is disabled and unable to guide me but yet I trust her driving skills. Did I mention she has no license, is blind in one eye and lost a leg in 2002. She does all the set-up inside-slides out, jacks down. etc.

The RVhandsets device has been essentially useless due to the interference mentioned in another post. One handset works marginally but the other is useless. Maybe you would be lucky to get a good one but I would steer clear. Hand signals work.