lafons@blountk12.org

Damage From Rats

I have had a rat build a nest in my generator and do extensive damage. In 30 years of rv'ing this is the first time this has happened. It took only 2 weeks without running it for the rats to build in a almost impossible place and when I started up the generator it trashed the ignition rotor which led to many hrs of repairs to replace a $30 part.

Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening.

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Sorry to hear about your damage-- it happens when rodents are looking for a dry, warmer location.

Depending on your generator location, you can cage it with open mesh hardware cloth.

I know our generator is in a basement location. I used the open mesh hardware cloth to "rodent proof" the intake (bottom).

Brett

Rats & Mice like to run along walls and the like and don't like to be in the open. Knowing that, I place a spring trap or glue trap on both sides of the tires (that they use as a wall). Don't use bait. They could eat the bait, die in the coach and cause a very bad smell until you find it. For openings that can't be sealed permanently, use copper wool. The will not chew this like steel wool. If you store your coach in an area that isn't clean, clean up the area to remove places where they like to be, if you can. Cleaning the area around your coach most times will solve the problem.

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Sorry to hear about your damage-- it happens when rodents are looking for a dry, warmer location.

Brett

This just struck a funny note I couldn't resist. Maybe you could install cold air fan and/or a mister system to create moisture near the generator, though they might have those little umbrellas and move in anyways.

Sorry it's just a joke, had to chime in on.