rkheinefield@bellsouth.net

KVH-5SL And DirecTV

In the last month I have taken delivery of a new (2011) American Coach Revolution. The coach comes with the KVH-5SL in motion satellite system installed. Prior to leaving Lazy Days in Florida the technician had installed and had working two Direct TV receivers and since we had to move the coach a couple times the system would reacquire the satellite. However, now that I am back in Charleston I have not been able to reacquire any satellite signal. I have worked through: Resetting the receivers, Setting the dish to 18 inch, using the signal meter, nothing seems to be working. I have not actually been on top of the coach to see if the dish is moving, but I will try that this weekend.

Other then going to a dealer, which the closest one is over a 100 miles away, is there anything else I can try?

Hi rkheinefield@bellsouth.net,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. As best I know aiming of the dish has nothing to do with the receivers. My KVH finds the DTV satellite without the receivers being on. This statement is for standard definition TV. Brett has the correct solution. Contact KVH and tell them the problem. They can lead you through ensuring the programming of the dish is correct.

Make very sure you have a completely clear view of the southern sky. From Charleston, this would be the southwest from your current location. You should be able to hear the dish (a growling sound) moving around to find the satellite. If you do not hear the dish moving, try to find a fuse or two that may be blown.

Thanks to both of you for your reply. I have contacted KVH and actually they were not a lot of help. Just wanted to know if I could hear the dish moving. WIth my hearing I could not tell. It would be nice if the panel inside the coach indicated which satellite the dish was locked on to or even which direction it was pointing. I will look for the fuse but I am getting a power light on the switch panel.

Again thanks

Thanks to both of you for your reply. I have contacted KVH and actually they were not a lot of help. Just wanted to know if I could hear the dish moving. WIth my hearing I could not tell. It would be nice if the panel inside the coach indicated which satellite the dish was locked on to or even which direction it was pointing. I will look for the fuse but I am getting a power light on the switch panel.

Again thanks

As said before, Welcome to the Forum. I have a Wineguard Road King. Yes I can hear it seeking the satellites.

There is a switch that turns the satellite off and on. Does yours have such a switch?

Check for a blown fuse.

Actually, you will most likely need to change the settings on the receiver. Changing the zip code information will most likely solve your problem. We've run into this a few times.

Guest BillAdams

Changing the zip code settings in your receiver has exactly ZERO effect on an antennas ability to locate a satellite. You may need to change the antenna type in the Setup>Repeat Satellite Setup menu but this is the only setting that could make any possible difference.