kcsails

How Do You Activate Direct TV?

Just purchase a 2000 38' Monaco Diplomat with a KVH TracvisionLM stationary dish on the coach roof, with an RCA DRD 430RG receiver inside the coach. It appears that the previous owners installed this in 2002. It has two older standard 19" and 13"TV's.

It appears that all I need is the card to go in the RCA receiver. I have had a complete run-around from Direct TV, I have spoken to 7 different people, and nobody seems to be able to help. I called one dealer, and he said just get a new receiver from Direct TV. I have called other dealers and they haven't returned my calls.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will upgrade my TV's to lightweight LCD's and HD, but I'd like to get the current system going, and then upgrade to HD later.

Just purchase a 2000 38' Monaco Diplomat with a KVH TracvisionLM stationary dish on the coach roof, with an RCA DRD 430RG receiver inside the coach. It appears that the previous owners installed this in 2002. It has two older standard 19" and 13"TV's.

It appears that all I need is the card to go in the RCA receiver. I have had a complete run-around from Direct TV, I have spoken to 7 different people, and nobody seems to be able to help. I called one dealer, and he said just get a new receiver from Direct TV. I have called other dealers and they haven't returned my calls.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will upgrade my TV's to lightweight LCD's and HD, but I'd like to get the current system going, and then upgrade to HD later.

kcsails, Welcome to the Forum. Do you now have Direct TV now in your home? If so you should be able to request a new reciever that will have a new card. We have Dish Network and have two 722 HD DVR's in our home and one standard 311 receiver that we use on our farm and in our coach. Dish knows we do this and they are OK with it.

So if you have Direct at home just request an additional receiver and after they send you the receiver put it in the coach. There are several thing that can go wrong with Direct. In the past you had to purchase the dish and receiver. Now, if I understand it, they rent you the equipment. The previous owner of your coach may have owned it and Direct has newer units.

Come on Direct TV Customers out there see if you can help.

You sure the card is not in the receiver? It would be unusual for the previous owners to have taken the card. You used to be able to swap cards between recievers, but I don't think you can anymore. I read someplace that the card is now somehow matched to the specific reciever. This keeps my neighbor with, say the full NFL package, from 'loaning' one of his cards to me so I can get it too.

Assuming there is a card in the receiver just pull it out, record the number on it, then put it back in before you call Direct TV. (there is also a way to just get it from the receiver menu, but as each receiver is a bit different, I can't tell you how on yours) They'll also want the make and model and possibly the serial number of the receiver.

You do not, by the way, have to get your receivers from Direct TV. You can buy them outright from various dealers. We just bought a new HD receiver for our RV, paid $99 (a DVR receiver would have been $299). I simply called Direct TV and had it added to our existing account. If you do get it through Direct TV I think they will write off the cost of the receiver in return for a locked in contract period.

Many of the older cards are not supoported any longer. DirecTV used to offer you a new one for $20. If you are a new subscriber, go online and request new service at your home. A new receiver is also included for free. When their contractor shows up just have him give you the receiver or better yet place it in your RV to make sure it works before he leaves. He will not give you any help with your RV's Sat system.

As previously stated, if you have DirecTV in your home, just go to your online account and request a second receiver.

Gil

You sure the card is not in the receiver? It would be unusual for the previous owners to have taken the card. You used to be able to swap cards between recievers, but I don't think you can anymore. I read someplace that the card is now somehow matched to the specific reciever. This keeps my neighbor with, say the full NFL package, from 'loaning' one of his cards to me so I can get it too.

Assuming there is a card in the receiver just pull it out, record the number on it, then put it back in before you call Direct TV. (there is also a way to just get it from the receiver menu, but as each receiver is a bit different, I can't tell you how on yours) They'll also want the make and model and possibly the serial number of the receiver.

You do not, by the way, have to get your receivers from Direct TV. You can buy them outright from various dealers. We just bought a new HD receiver for our RV, paid $99 (a DVR receiver would have been $299). I simply called Direct TV and had it added to our existing account. If you do get it through Direct TV I think they will write off the cost of the receiver in return for a locked in contract period.

Jay, you said that you bought an HD receiver for $99. Was that a DVR where you can have two tvs on it or just a Hi Def Receiver? Also where did you purchase it.

Thanks

Hi kcsails,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. Forget the current receiver even exists. Just call Direct TV and either add a receiver to your current account or start as a new subscriber with them.

I have been a DirecTV customer since 1998 without any problems activating new (used) receivers. They do have a policy regarding the "Oldest Receivers." They will not activate (for a new customer) a receiver that does not have a Receiver ID Number (RID). They need the make, model, serial number & RID number, then they will send you a "New Card" for the price of $20 or $25. I wouldn't even tell them it is in a motorhome, just tell them it's in your home, that way you can shuffle it back and forth.

Two weeks ago my receiver in the coach began to act funny-- bad guide display. I had purchased on ebay two receivers about a year ago for just such an occasion. Think the cost was $10 each plus shipping.

Called Direct TV, but they would not activate my card in the "new receiver". They did send me a new card for $20.00. When I received it, installed and called Direct Tv. They activated it. Call took about 20 minutes because the number they had on the letter with the new card was wrong.

All is working fine now and all functions of the remote operates the TV and the Receiver.

Guest BillAdams

Since the OP has never returned this may not be of any value, but he "might" need to keep the existing receiver no matter whether there are newer/better units available. Many of the older KVH units required a specific type of receiver with a low speed data port and it sounds like that is what he has. If so, if he replaces the receiver the antenna will no longer work unless he spends a bunch of money to upgrade the antenna hardware or replace it with a new model dome or open face antenna.

Hughes Direct Broadcast Satellite operations began in the mid 90's using RCA receivers for several years. This was followed by several other manufacturers over the next few years.

For at least five years, maybe more, Directv has not supported any standard definition receiver for new service other than the current non-DVR model D12. You can get them for around $50. on eBay, but you still will have to purchase a new card from Directv.

As recommended above, if you are a new customer, call Directv and order new standard definition service. You will have a new antenna, new LNB, and new receiver at no cost that can be later moved to the coach . Don't mention anything to Directv about RVing. If you do, they will tell you the receiver has to be connected to a telephone line all the time, and if not, you must qualify for a FCC waiver for Distant Network Service. Neither is true if you do it as suggested here. And we can help you get that service, but you must you must do certain things first. The point being it is easy to open a can of worms at Directv by saying the wrong things.

When you get your new flat screen TV's try them out with your (new) existing standard definition service. Then you can plan on purchasing and installing a new receiver and antenna/controller. That's a separate issue and we can help you with that at the time.

Bill, I was typing when you posted, but you have an excellent point. I had exactly that issue with our Safari that came with an old Motosat Executive antenna with an older controller that was not compatible with any of today's equipment.