sueandskyhow@charter.net

DirecTV As You Go

I read in one of my monthly magazines that DirecTV has an as-you-go offer. Of course I am traveling and forgot the magazine. Anyone here read it? It was either Escapees or Family Motor Coaching in November.

I went and got a satellite and receiver, but I would like the activation telephone number out of the article.

Thank you, in advice.

Guest BillAdams

You can't just pick up a receiver and get the Dish Network pay-as-you-go service. It requires a specific receiver (VIP211-K) which you must buy and then sign up for that specific service. You can get additional information here at the Winegard site.

http://www.winegard.com/dishnetwork/

You can't just pick up a receiver and get the Dish Network pay-as-you-go service. It requires a specific receiver (VIP211-K) which you must buy and then sign up for that specific service. You can get additional information here at the Winegard site.

http://www.winegard.com/dishnetwork/

Thanks but it is DirecTV. I have purchased the receiver from them.

I have seen various offers from Winegard and Dish network for pay as you go but nothing from Direct TV. I checked the Direct TV website and do not find anything about a pay as you go plan.

Guest BillAdams

Sorry, I misread the post since only Dish Network has a pay-as-you-go plan. The only thing I can think of that you might have confused with a pay-as-you-go plan is their Sat-Go equipment but it's not what you are looking for.

DirecTV Sat Go

I read in one of my monthly magazines that DirecTV has an as-you-go offer. Of course I am traveling and forgot the magazine. Anyone here read it? It was either Escapees or Family Motor Coaching in November.

I went and got a satellite and receiver, but I would like the activation telephone number out of the article.

Thank you, in advice.

I am not familiar with DirectTV pay-as-you-go. I sure wish Direct would have a program like Dish Network. Maybe one day soon.

Direct TV pay-as-you-go. We installed a Winguard in motion HD dish in our 2000 Safari Zanzibar. you are supposed to be able to call them up just before your trip and activate it. This allows you to access the programming based on the package you've selected.

We live in Denver. Our very first successful trip was to Santa Fe. We experienced several issues. Not the least of which was an ability to maintain a signal. With clear Southern view access and no weather, it was still an issue.

Support isn't much help either. Local channels or national networks wouldn't come in either. Even after programing the zip code into the receiver.

The other issue we've experienced every time we've used it since is this. We pay for a month of service for the time we are traveling. Once we're done, we park the coach. Then the phone calls start and the Past Due notices start showing up. We call the number on the notices and explain that we are a Pay-As-You-Go customer. We explain that we aren't using the coach this month, therefore we don't need the service. it usually takes 4 or 5 calls before you get someone who is familiar with this product and is able to put a note in the account to stop the collection calls and letters.

That's my two cents.

Guest BillAdams

Where did you find any kind of pay-as-you-go service from DirecTV? I am not aware of any such service. Did you mean Dish Network? Additionally, just because your antenna does not lock onto the signal, you are alleviated from the obligation to pay for the service. Setting a zip code in your receiver will have no effect on the antennas ability to lock onto the required satellite(s). Be you a DirecTV or Dish Network customer you need to make specific changes to your receivers to allow it to work properly with an RV style antenna.

I have not heard about DirecTV pay as you go plan. It is possible they have added a new plan.

In 2008 I signed up for a DirecTV residential plan and an RV plan. I was told that I could have one of the accounts active and the other inactive so I would only pay for the service I was using. The RV plan allowed me to pick up local channels from either New York, or LA while on the road. New York and LA are beamed across the entire US while your local residential channels are spot beamed to your local area. If you happen to live in LA or New York you don't need an RV account as you can pick up your local channels anywhere you travel in the US. A residential DirecTV account works fine as long as you are within your spot beam. Travel outside your spot beam and you lose local programming. A RV account will allow you to pick up local LA channels across the US. DirecTV no longer beams both New York and LA channel on their RV accounts. Now DirecTV only beams LA channels. You can pay more for the New York local channels.

What DirecTV didn't tell me is that I could only inactivate an account for six months. And an added insult, DirecTV reactivated my RV account after four months and started billing my credit card. When I discovered the charges I called and DirecTV and inactivated my RV account and DirecTV refunded the charges. Four months later DirecTV once again activated the RV account and started billing my credit card. That was when I cancelled my RV account with DirecTV. I told them why I cancelled but they kept calling me asking if I would renew my RV account. They didn't appear to understand why I cancelled my account.

I still have a residential DirecTV account. I sent DirecTV an e-mail recently asking what it would take to activate my RV account as we are planning a trip. To get an RV account you have to send in documentation that proves to them that you will not be using the RV account at your residence. I was told that if I gave them my old RV account number they could reactivate it. I looked through my old e-mails and found my account number. I may activate my old RV account and cancel it when we return home. I will need to find out if there is a time limit for cancelling an account.

You can change your zip code on your DirecTV account but that does nothing to change your local programming package. To get local channels outside your spot beam you must get an RV account.

If DirecTV has updated their requirements I'd love to hear about it.

JD

If you already have directv don't pay for an additional RV account. All you need to do is take your receiver box with you from your house. It is much easier if you have a Non HD receiver as you don't need an HD dish.

I do this all the time. I bring my trailer home to load it up and then grab my DirecTV box and put it in the trailer. All my TV's in my house are HD except for one. So I just take the non HD box since I don't have an HD dish in my trailer.

Works perfect every time and I don't pay for anything extra unless you call the monthly charge for the Non HD box extra. :)

Chris

I have had Direct TV since 1996. Even though I have Att Uverse at home, I keep minimal service with Direct TV. I take it with me in the RV to get CNN, FOX, etc. If I'm at a location for more than a few days, I call them and they switch so I can get local channels, free service. I don't have digital TV's so this works real well. Even if you don't have an auto antenna, Manually locating the satellite is not a problem. Carl Peterson

Guest BillAdams

All of their domes are HD (as long as you are a Dish Network customer). No one makes a dome that is capable of receiving the DirecTV HD programming for RVs.

Bill, the problem with the dome for Dish is there is only one LNB. It must cycle between Sat. 110, 119 and I beleive 129. I have the Winegard Road king and each time I move from any channel below 100 to any channel above I can hear my dish turn. Winegard does make a dish that has 3 LNBs but it isn't a dome. I may change out mine sometime in the future but for now, change channel hear the turn.

Guest BillAdams

Despite what your antenna may or may not be doing, the fact is that all of the recent Winegard domes have been capable of locking onto the multiple Dish Network satellites (one at a time, of course). The antenna can be set to switch between 110, 119 and 129, 110, 119 and 61.5 or 61.5, 72 and 77. If you have an older Roadtrip that is not capable of these functions (check under the dome....the dip switch setting options will let you know) then you can contact Winegard to see what upgrade is necessary to bring your antenna up to the current standards.

Bill, that is what I just said. Winegard new domes do receive all three satillites but only 1 at a time. The dish must cycle to each satellite. Maybe one day they will make a dome with 3 LNBs so people can put Dish Network 722 DVRs in their Coaches. I only put a standard Dish Network 311 receiver in MH and I can get all of my local channels by calling and giving them my Zip Code. I then have to call them when I return home to have them switch back to my home Zip Code.

Guest BillAdams

Your initial question was "when did Winegard get an in-motion HD dome". That's what I was replying to. The dome is and has been HD for many years. Yes, all domes have only one LNB and will likely always only have one LNB but that does not effect the ability to receive HD from Dish Network. You could also likely use your 722 receiver but when trying to watch or record different channels simultaneously you have to ensure that both channels are being broadcast from the same satellite. You can also use your DVR with a single input so that you could still record programs while away or watch previously recorded programming while recording another. (At least you can with DirecTV so I assume DN would work that way as well).