DeltaDonnie

San Diego RV Park - Recomendations

My pick is Sunland San Diego RV Resort -- http://www.sdrvresort.com/

Sites are various sizes to accomodate different RV lengths. It is a very clean park. The best feature, in our opinion, if that it is next door to a new trolly and bus stop. For seniors, an unlimited monthly pass was $15 during our last visit. It is easy to access just of I-8 on the west side of San Diego. The trolly will quickly get you downtown, to a number of shopping centers, and to some good eating places.

If your traveling with children, Campland on the Bay is a family resort with planned supervised activities for the kids, playgrounds, pools, biking, etc. If your looking for a more adult oriented part Chula Vista RV park is lovely. On the bay, a short drive to the city, walking paths and an adult resort setting. San Diego KOA is another option that sits someplace in the middle of the two above mentioned parks. All three are listed with my recommendation.

Happy Trails.

We have stayed at Mission Bay RV resort a couple of times and will be again this summer. Great location, good security and quiet. Lots of space for a large RV with slideouts. But not much grass and is covered with blacktop. But did I say great location!

Don,

If you are interested in oceanfront, and don't mind pavement, then Silver Strand or Mission Bay are worth looking into. If you'd prefer some trails, mountains, and a more rural environment, we had a fine time at Oakzanitas just north of El Cajon and about 20 miles east of San Diego.

Happy trails . . .

Tim

We stayed at Sunland San Diego RV Resort in July 2011 and thought is was just okay. We were a little dissappointed it was so close to the freeway, so the noise was a little more than expected. However, my grandson had a great time making friends in the park. Two years ago we stayed at Campland and I liked it as long as you don't stay in the parking lot type area. I does get pretty busy on the weekends, however, the location and facilities are excellent. Next time we go, we will likely try Mission Bay.

New owner of 1997 Foretravel U295 in Alaska and new to FMCA.

My wife and I are looking for a few great snowbird communities to begin our snowbird lifestyle. Though we are not yet 55 (can't wait, but have no choice), we would like to find a place to winter out of Alaska.

We are definately looking for a warm area (low 40's or warmer at night). This can include states other than California also. We are hoping to find a community that is close to public transportation. A metropolitian city nearby would be great, but not necessary. I know this sounds strange for those who use their motorhome to "get away from the hustle and bustle", but we live in the "last frontier". Groomed walking, exercise room, pool and pet's allowed if possible. Looking for a decent rate for a 5-6 month committment.

Thanks to all for your input

Gary and Sharon

ilakva@gmail.com

Gary and Sharon,

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to make a suggestion. Since this is a completely different topic, I would suggest that you copy your post above, open a new topic, and then paste the contents to that topic. That way, your query will have a title that will attract the attention of people who have information for you. If you do this, I'll post my response there as well.

In answer to your query, we winter in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) in Texas. We are within minutes of the Mexico Border, less visited in the last couple of years due to violence across the border. Still, we are as far south as you can get in the US other than Florida. We have a couple in our park from Alaska. They return each year bringing a supply of fish and moose meat to share with friends. They have lots of friends! You will find the cost of living quite reasonable and we have major shopping centers and every kind of dining experience you could want readily at hand. There are over 50 parks in the RGV, most in an area from Harlingen to McAllen. Some of these parks have 50 sites, others have 500 sites. The area hosts many migrating birds and is unique as a spot to see Central American birds that live along the river and are found north of the border frequently. There are RV parks with dance halls and dance lessons, a symphony orchestra, several convention centers, minor league baseball and hockey, hiking and biking trails, wildlife refuges, state parks, world birding and butterfly centers and ocean fishing out of South Padre Island. The climate matches your criteria in December and January and is better the rest of the time. Parks vary from the minimum to parks with luxury facilities. Many parks have a full set of organized activities within the park, card games, athletic games, outings to local areas, group meals, happy hours, etc. If you come, you might want to plan to stay a week or two in one park and take a look at what is available before committing for a full season. I'm sure you will find a park that suits you. One final bonus with south Texas. We aren't snow birds, we're winter Texans. The local residents accept us and enjoy our presence. We are enough of an economic impact to the area that the local communities celebrate our presence. Local businesses are geared to accommodate our needs.

There are communities of snow birds all along the southern border. Some of the more popular in the west are Yuma, AZ, Quartzsite, AZ. Yuma has numerous large parks with full facilities and organized activities. Quartzite has parks but also hosts a huge population of snow birds who spend little money and camp in the desert with no facilities. Most southern cities in Arizona have large parks for winter residents, we've been to parks in Phoenix and Tuscon. Florida is the other major community of snow birds. There are parks along the Gulf of Mexico further north in Texas and in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama as well. As you know, north means cooler weather but ocean modifies that when the wind is blowing off the ocean.

You can also find more information in several discussions that have been posted in the past. You can use the search box at the top, right side, of this page to search for key words such as winter, snow birds, etc. You should find several lengthy discussions with recommendations from a number of people. Here are a couple I found: Winter Home Away From Home and Wintering in SW.

We stayed at Chula Vista in San Diego as well. I found it to be a wonderful campground. Great restaurants next to park at the marina next door.

We had an end spot which was just beautiful. The marina and park, which is just awesome, is right next door. Fantastic city. We had two dogs with us and loved to walk each day over to the water and watch the yachts go in and out.

Great place.. :D :D