FMCA lists "Emergency Road Service and Technical Assistance" provided by Coach-Net as an FMCA member benefit. However, it's not clear what we get with our membership... as there is a link to the Coach-Net (now NMC) website where they want additional fees for their service. So my question is ... am I missing something? What comes with the FMCA membership?

Please help this confused RVer ...

Ron

The Coach-Net program is available as an additional cost benefit just as the Good Sam ERS (Emergency Road Service) is a benefit. I believe the benefit is having a program available which has been reviewed by our association and found to be valuable to many members. Just as the Mail Forwarding Service (both with FMCA and Good Sam) is available as a benefit at additional cost, so it is with the emergency road service programs.

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't really trying to compare organizations (I belong to both)... it's just unclear what you get with the membership fee and what requires additional payment.

Having said that... I think that both could be clearer... there's a big difference in saying that the organization provides a service of filtering good products or services versus implying that you actually are getting something with your membership. If you read the "benefit" page with an objective eye, it's not at all clear. It originally looked like you are getting some kind of base service plan with your membership, but could upgrade to Gold or Platinum with an extra fee.

Thanks,

Ron

What you say is true. I also belong to both organizations and the explanations on the benefits pages could be made a little more clear by a simple statement that these are optional programs available at additional cost. Like you I at first thought that we had a basic plan and could upgrade but found last year that was not the case.

Ron,

"It originally looked like you are getting some kind of base service plan with your membership, but could upgrade to Gold or Platinum with an extra fee." That is exactly the case. They offer three tiers of service as does AAA and most other plans. That said, I don't know if you can upgrade/downgrade during the course of the 12 month contract, but we have both upgraded to Platinum and downgraded to Gold during our renewals.

I had heard nothing but good from posters about CoachNet prior to our joining a few years ago. We've used them only once for a lockout situation, but the telephone service from CN and the service from the locksmith were excellent.

In 15 years with Good Sam ERS I needed them twice with a brand new DP coach. Dealing with Good Sam was argue, argue, and more baloney.

They would not listen and sent no fewer than three tow trucks until they finally got one of the size I told them repeatedly they would need. A complete fiasco.

Chuck,

Thanks for your comments on your experience. I considered the Good Sam ERS this year when my Coach-Net came due for renewal but decided to keep what I have. I have never had to use Coach-Net but everything I have heard has been good.

Being full time for 9+ years, we have used both services and found them to be good at times and then you get the service agent who really isn't familiar with RV's or just isn't very helpful. I'm sure they are busy sometimes and juggling several customers, etc.

Anyway, this fall we were on the road in Alabama, just north of Montgomery. It was Sunday night and I ran over some junk on the shoulder where we were forced to drive on the shoulder due to road work. The outside rear dual tire went down quick. The Pressure Pro alarm went off and I could see where the problem was. I pulled off as soon as an additional lane opened up and when I got out of the coach I could hear the tire hissing! I had picked up a cargo hook and it ruined the tire.

I called Coach-Net which we've been using for the last 4 years and they had someone on the way with a used replacement tire. The service man attempted to repair the tire but it wouldn't hold so I ended up having the replacement tire mounted. It wasn't an exact replacement, the size was close enough for temporary use. So I had to buy a tire which would be worthless to me when I got to a tire shop. Since I had driven for a short distance with the other tire carrying most of the weight, it would be replaced as well.

I was back on the road in about an hour and a half and considered that pretty good service for a Sunday night. The next day we drove to Jackson, Mississippi on the replacement. I had called Wingfoot (Goodyear Commercial Service) and found two new G670's to replace both tires.

There is a listing of FMCA's member benefits on page 87 of the current issue (February 2011) of Family Motor Coaching magazine.

Benefits that require additional sign-up and fees are followed by an asterisk.

Thanks all for the replies. I noticed today that the "Benefits" page has been updated to clarify the benefits included vs. those which can be purchased for additional cost.

It's really nice to see that kind of positive response from our organization!

Drive careful,

Ron

To get the advertised CoachNet prices, you must belong to a CoachNet affiliated RV Club, FMCA and its individual chapters being some of the affiliated RV Clubs. If you do not belong to a CoachNet affiliated RV Club, you can not purchase CoachNet's emergency roadside service. The interesting catch is that CoachNet has their own "RV Club" that you can join and it comes with their ERS service, but it does not have any of the other FMCA or other club benefits. My original affiliation was through the Allegro Club, and my current affiliation is through FMCA. So that is how it is a benefit. You get the privilege of purchasing their ERS because you belong to a authorized affiliated RV Club (FMCA). Having said all that, I must say that I have CoachNet ERS because I think that they provide the best service, and go beyond and above what is required of them. They were not my first ERS, and I will never go back to the original ERS that I first had.

I have been satisfied with CoachNet. A blowout, a flat tire in a state park, and a failed pressure regulator on the coach air brake system, all handled to my satisfaction. Only three incidents in about 7 years but when you need help, you need help.

FMCA lists "Emergency Road Service and Technical Assistance" provided by Coach-Net as an FMCA member benefit. However, it's not clear what we get with our membership... as there is a link to the Coach-Net (now NMC) website where they want additional fees for their service. So my question is ... am I missing something? What comes with the FMCA membership?

Please help this confused RVer ...

Ron

One thing YOU DO NOT GET is a better price.

Don't assume there is an advantage if you belong to FMCA, contact CoachNet and ask!

One thing YOU DO NOT GET is a better price.

Don't assume there is an advantage if you belong to FMCA, contact CoachNet and ask!

I called CoachNet to renew and asked about the FMCA discount. I was told I needed to sign up for a "new" membership through the FMCA site. Did it that way, saved $10, so there IS an advantage to belonging to FMCA !

I called CoachNet to renew and asked about the FMCA discount. I was told I needed to sign up for a "new" membership through the FMCA site. Did it that way, saved $10, so there IS an advantage to belonging to FMCA !

But, it cost the price of an FMCA membership to get the $10 off of the CoachNet price.

How is that an "advantage"?

But, it cost the price of an FMCA membership to get the $10 off of the CoachNet price.

How is that an "advantage"?

stuplich,

Let me get this straight, you want the Benefits from FMCA but are appalled that you have to be a member to get them, is that correct?

Herman

stuplich,

Let me get this straight, you want the Benefits from FMCA but are appalled that you have to be a member to get them, is that correct?

Herman

No!

That is incorrect!

The point I was trying to make in an earlier post is this:

Many of the "bennefits" have been eliminated/reduced over the years, (ie: FMCAssist and now the fact that only "new members" get a FMCA discount on the price of CoachNet).

What one gets from FMCA is no longer worth the FMCA annual membership fee.........(aka: the point at which I will not be renewing my membership).

Mel

Herman, everybody wants something for nothing. OK, maybe that is not entirely true but some people are always looking for a free ride. I have enjoyed my membership to FMCA and after attending my first rally last year we had a blast. The DW and I ran the coffee/ donut breakfast piece and helped with the pancake breakfast and the hot dog social. . With the friends that we brought with us and the new ones we met it was great!

A membership is a lot like pumping out your home septic system..... WHAT YOU GET OUT OF IT IS ENTIRELY DEPENDENT ON WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT!!!!!

Hope everyone is ready for a great camping season. It's been a tough winter in the North East. Between the Blizzard and Hurricane Sandy we lost a lot of trees. Looking forward to some nice warm weather.

Dan

Does the new Allstate deal mean FMCA found the CoachNet service inadequate in some way - or are my suspicions correct that Alllstate provided FMCA a bigger $Piece of the pie in order to grab this unique business [that they are unlikely prepared to handle very well]?

Same question: What is the deal with the e-mail about RV Roadhelp vs CoachNet? Has FMCA dropped CoachNet? Or is this an added benefit with our memberships? CoachNet has always came through for us, much better than Good Sam or others we've had in the past.

Thanks for your questions regarding RV RoadHelp. Unfortunately, Coach Net severed the relationship with FMCA earlier this year (March 2013) when their business model changed to more of a dealer driven program.

FMCA was not, and is not, in a position to become a sales agent for a roadside service product. While we were disappointed in the decision by Coach Net to terminate the relationship, we understood that it was a business decision on their end, and a decision we had to make, as well.

In researching roadside service programs available to motorhome enthusiasts, we found the RV RoadHelp program to be a very good program, providing a few features we did not have with the previous program. The initial pricing of $69.95 for FMCA members is also a nice way to try out this new program.

Did anyone at FMCA look at the Better Business Bureau's "C-" rating for Allstate RV Roadhelp before signing on with them? At least Coach-Net has a "A" rating! Would rather have FMCA go without a road assistance benefit plan and just recommend Coach-Net, than actually contract with Allstate considering their poor BBB rating. Please don't contract with someone who will provide the lousy roadside service response like I got from a commercial enterprise "club." It puts our organization's good name in poor company!

Perhaps FMCA does not know that "roadside" does not always mean they come to the coach. Our best use was getting their referral to a competent repair site (refrigerator) in a remote part of Arizona. Something an auto club could not do on their best day.