Sign in to follow this  
mikelm48

Cruise Control

Last trip my cruise control was working. Yesterday left on a trip and could not get the cruise control to engage.

Light on instrument panel did not come on, did not hold speed.

I can't get to my Spartan CD with the fuse data.

Does anyone know if there is a fuse for the cruise control?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Mike,

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have a Smart Wheel (with your cruise control and wiper buttons on your steering wheel)? If so you will have a computer box located near your 12 volt fuse panel. The control box is a black box approx. 6" X 6" with several plugs coming from the bottom. There will be a white plug with 2 large white wires (approx #8) coming out of the control box.

First check for signs of burnt wires. Check www.vipwheels.com

If you are lucky you won't find any signs of burnt wires. Follow those two wires back to your fuse panel and check for blown fuse.

Also check your brake lite switch. If your switch is bad or stuck your cruise control will think you have the brake on which disengages the CC.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the hints. I will be checking the brakes. I was thinking this was our first trip with the Toad. There is a light that comes on when the Toad brakes are activated and I noticed it is not working either and I have not changed any of the setup since I had them installed. Maybe there is a fuse in that circuit.

Mike

Mike,

"I was thinking this was our first trip with the Toad" Does this also mean the towing circuit and/or receptacle was installed since the last trip?

Disconnect the tow and take the coach for a drive. If CC works you have a wiring issue with the toad. If CC does not work without the tow, you may have a blown fuse as mentioned. But keep in mind fuses don't blow without a reason. It indicates a wiring problem, whether it occurs while towing or not.

Mike,

"I was thinking this was our first trip with the Toad" Does this also mean the towing circuit and/or receptacle was installed since the last trip?

Disconnect the tow and take the coach for a drive. If CC works you have a wiring issue with the toad. If CC does not work without the tow, you may have a blown fuse as mentioned. But keep in mind fuses don't blow without a reason. It indicates a wiring problem, whether it occurs while towing or not.

Well, I took it out without the Toad and is still doesn't work. Haven't been able to locate any fuses labeled Cruise Control. I guess I will check with Spartan today and see if they have a suggestion. Thanks for all the ideas.

Mike

Last trip my cruise control was working. Yesterday left on a trip and could not get the cruise control to engage.

Light on instrument panel did not come on, did not hold speed.

I can't get to my Spartan CD with the fuse data.

Does anyone know if there is a fuse for the cruise control?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

The Cruise Control WILL NOT operate if you have Exhaust Brake engaged...if you have it.

Ron

I have both an Exhaust Brake and a Cruise Control. I use both, simultaneously, with no problem. In fact I leave the Exhaust Brake on all of the time. It works great. I also leave CC on most of the time, and it too works great. Just like in my car. As soon as you hit the brake pedal, the CC goes off and the EB comes on. Then you need to hit the accelerator and the EB goes off, then resume, and CC comes back on.

Guest Wayne77590

Ditto as Koliver stated. Additionally, if I'm on cruise, say at 60 mph, and on a down hill it goes to about 65-66 mph, the exhaust brake will automatically come on, it is still in cruise, and when it reduces to set speed the exhaust brake goes off and cruising at 60 mph continues. But, that is my 2008 Winni Destination, Cummins ISB 340, Allison 6 spd.

Yours may be different.