RWDMLD18

4 Wheels Down 2009 Mustang GT 5 Speed Standard

I searched the Forum to find 4 wheel down towing a Mustang and found only a 1992 Mustang automatic.

RoadMaster sell brackets for Mustangs.

I would like feedback on the pros and cons of towing Mustangs be for I make any purchase.

RWDMLD18

I saw someone towing a newer Mustang a few months back 4 wheels down.

My owners manual for a 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 truck says no towing. The mechanic in me says Bull S--t! It has a mechanical transfer case and I put it in neutral, transmission in Park and down the road I have gone for over 8,000 miles now.

Some manufactures do not want to be responsible for transmission problems when people fail to properly prepare to tow their vehicles. Most manual transmission vehicles can be towed 4 down with no problems.

Good luck, hope you can tow it!

I know for a fact that Mustangs can be towed 4 down with a converter kit and a shorter drive shaft from Remco. It seems a bit pricy and I'm looking around for other info from someone whose towing a Mustang. I saw a Mustang in a campground about a year ago that they towed as a 4 down toad so I know it can be done without disconnecting the drive shaft every-time. Just don't know the how's and wheres.

I'm looking at picking up a 2007 GT Mustang tomorrow and will need to tow it behind my Coach.

Any suggestions????

I have towed 07 Mustang GT 5spd conv for over 5 years. They have Tremec trans that doesn't sufficiently oil a front bearing under tow. I stop every 65 miles & run through the gears. Has 30,625 miles on it & no problem. It is for sale to buy a 4dr Jeep Unlimited, btw...

Am I reading that right?

You have to stop, and run it thru the gears, EVERY HOUR of every trip, for 5 years?

That would seem terribly inconvenient!!! (JMHO)

I tow a 2000 Mustang GT convertible with 5 speed trans and have had no problems. Transmission in neutral, key off (position where steering is unlocked). I'm not sure what kind of transmission is in mine, but most standard transmissions are "drip" lubricated and shouldn't pose a problem. I can't quite figure out how a front bearing turns in a stick transmission under tow in neutral.