smichaeldon

Window Seal/gasket Replacement

I have a 1998 Newmar Dutch Star that now has a window leak in the front left side non opening window. The leak seems to be due to a deteriorated seal/gasket.

The seal was made by Creation, a company that has now gone out of business according to Newmar Tech Support. The part number of the seal was C4717020000.

The seal is u shaped and about 1/2 inch on each side. I have had no success in locating a replacement seal nor any help in finding a new vendor from Newmar.

I would like to know if anyone else out there has had a similar problem and short of replacing the whole window (the suggestion from Newmar) has found or can dream up a solution? Thanks, Mike

I assume that this is a ThermoPane type of window.

If so there is a firm in Florida and one in Arkansas that will take out the window, separate the two panes, clean the glass and install a liquid seal that will harden somewhat like caulk and reinstall the window.

Approximate cost $200 per window.

Friends have had this done and were very satisfied.

Here is a reference for a previous discussion on cloudy windows that has some specific references with company names. I located this by using the search function above. Look for the button next to the Help button in the second menu line at the top of this page. I had to search for windows and go through three pages of discussion to locate this one but search can be helpful in finding one of the many previous discussions on any given topic.

If I understand your post the Rubber Gasket that holds the window in the coach leaks. The double U rubber gasket has become hard and will not seal the window from leaking water into the coach.

Measure the window and while you are camping look at other coaches to see if they have the same size window. Then check with the mfg. of their coach to see if they can still provide the rubber seal.

In the mean time have you tried Clear Silicone completely around the window on the out side? You might check with companies that refurbish coaches where they may have removed your size window and still have the gasket.

Herman, really hate to disagree with you (unless it's a bet and you buy :rolleyes: , BUT, I think the caulking required for sealing rubber gasketing is going to be urethane. The problem with silicone is that the gasketing material releases oils over time and is not compatible with the silicone.

As to the replacement gasketing, if you'll search CRL (C R Laurence Co) at http://tinyurl.com/4p2agyu you should find a suitable replacement. You can order or find a paper catalog at most any glass shop. They also sell urethane sealants.

Good luck.

I assume that this is a ThermoPane type of window.

If so there is a firm in Florida and one in Arkansas that will take out the window, separate the two panes, clean the glass and install a liquid seal that will harden somewhat like caulk and reinstall the window.

Approximate cost $200 per window.

Friends have had this done and were very satisfied.

Could you please provide information (email address/address/phone) on the Florida firm that does this work? If sounds like this is the place for me to get the work done as I really don't want to start replacing windows vice resealing. Thanks. Mike