elkhartjim

FMCA Benefits

My membership is up for renewal and I have some questions that maybe a member can answer since FMCA is unable to.

1. According to the e mail I received to renew we now get discounts on fuel. FMCA can't tell me where.

2. I got the "new and improved" benefits policy and there are more holes in it than swiss cheese. I can't tell if the motorhome return benefit is still in effect. It appears if I break my right leg three inches above my knee on a Wednesday of a full moon, etc I might be covered but then probably not because I didn't notify the insurance company within 3 minutes 8 seconds of said breakage.

Any insight from members would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Looking at the "FMCA Member Benefits Guide" on page 103 of the January 2011 issue of the magazine, I'm not sure what "holes" you're talking about. It is merely a guide to services/activities FMCA offers directly or through third parties. The guide may appear to be full of holes due to the fact many, if not all, the services listed are covered by separate written agreements.

For example the listed Roadside Assistance. When they describe the "Travel Guard plan", read the third paragraph:

"Note: This description provides an overview of the policy features only and does not cover all the terms, conditions, and limitations." Everything on these eight pages is an "overview" of the respective subject.

As a member of Coach-Net I read this overview and it is technically correct. But when you actually purchase one of their plans, you get a Member Benefit Guide. This Guide states it is the gospel, and nothing else verbal or written (like any contract legalese) is binding on either party.

In simple terms, especially when push comes to shove, if it isn't written somewhere in a binding document signed by both parties, then it doesn't exist and does not have to be honored. No matter what anyone tells you about their product or service, they and you are subject to the written terms, limitations, and conditions. Even the IRS will tell you their verbal telephone support does not mean anything during an audit.

We have been in FMCA since 1993 for the fellowship, rallies, and the magazine. All the other "services" listed we don't use or use another that give us either more benefits, or less cost, or both.

On the fuel issue, FMCA had and presumably still has an agreement with Flying J on fuel discounts for members with a Flying J RV card. I never got into the specifics about this since I have a trucking account with them. But I can tell you since the acquisition of Flying J by Pilot, the fuel savings over time has diminished dramatically. So much so I frequently do better at Loves with their reward card than either FJ or Pilot.

The document I'm referencing with all the holes Chuck is the "policy" from the vendor not the "overview" provided by FMCA. FMCA is like ARRP wherein they just endorse various programs and reap the financial rewards.

The Flying J fuel program went out the door when Pilot bought them...thats a whole different can of worms.

Thanks for your input and I'm still interested in the fuel savings program and if they still have the emergency motorhome return policy.

Jim,

If you will look on page 37 of the December 2010 issue Of Family Motor Coaching magazine you will find the motorhome return starting just above the FMCAssist Member cards. It is a part of a program provided through Travel Guard. As far as the fuel discounts you will need to go to the following website:

https://www.frequentfueleradvantage.com/Benefits.aspx

For RV customers with the Pilot/Flying J Frequent Fueler Advantage card (formerly Pilot Flying J RV Real Value membership card):

Instant fuel discounts at the pump on diesel, gas, and propane

â—¦$0.03 off diesel (currently available at RV and auto diesel lanes only)- COMING SOON TO TRUCK DIESEL LANES

â—¦$0.02 off gas

â—¦$0.10 off propane

$5 off dumping fees

Register your card to earn special members-only offers

â—¦Unlimited fuel discounts (no max gallons)

â—¦Pump Start

â—¦Members-only benefits such as the Coffee Club, buy 5 hot beverages and the 6th is on us!

Hope this info helps

I enjoy the forums and magazine here and the occasional discount at RV parks, but the fuel discount is somewhat meaningless. My recent observation in south and central Texas is that Pilot and Flying J are at $3.50/gal plus or minus, and Shell stations, and others, are at $3.30. What difference does a discount at Flying J make?

Don

Don,

What you say is true. I note that the Flying J in San Antonio shows a Diesel price of $3.559 while most stations in Kerrville are at $3.399.

I know what you mean. I am not at all impressed with the new medical evacuation policy relative to the previous. Two apparent differences that jumped out at me were no return of grandkids, dependents only and no return of motorhome if that could be done by traveling companion. Both of which I think were provided for with the Medex policy.

So if something happens to me and have grandkids and wife along. Then its up to us to get grandkids and motorhome back where they belong.

Since the policy was a significant attraction to me and I'm looking at having to now purchase the coverage I likely won't renew.

Greg

Well Greg apparently we are the only two that noticed the loop hole of "if you have someone that can drive it back, you're on your on."

I'm not planning to renew either as this was the only reason I joined FMCA.

Grandchildren are covered for return home when you have had an accident or a medical condition requiring medical evacuation.

FMCAssist will return your coach for you, including fuel. Medex did not cover grandchildren or the fuel.

FMCAssit also covers children, grandchildren and handicapped dependents for medical evacuation. Medex did not cover those.

FMCAssist covers more people than Medex did because Medex would only cover the two members on the membership record.

But rather than ask questions in a forum, call Global Underwriters. Global is the third-party administrator for FMCAssist. Call 1-800-423-8496 and ask for Ken Schulteis, Presdient, to get the real answers to your concerns.

This is an issue that FMCA needs to look at very closely. I hope someone in management is reading these posts.

Being a member of FMCA is not cost effective when one is looking for associated discounts that would cover annual membership for most of those who do not need insurance, medical life flight, limited camp ground discounts, phone cards, etc. etc. As far as I am concerned, any association with Flying J is a black eye on the excellent reputation of FMCA. There are other benefits that aren't obvious so that needs to be considered when thinking about membership.

I have nothing but respect for FMCA. But it's just is not cost effective to be a member for most people in the RV community.