satboyz

Thinking of Buying a Used Motorhome

I am thinking of buying a 2003 Country Coach Allure with tag axle 40ft it has a 370 hp Cummings ISL diesel with 2 stage jake brake.. hours on engine 8410 mileage 354,198.

Never owned a diesel is this a excessive miles for a diesel and if I get it at a very good price and need to put in a motor could someone tell me the cost of a Cummins motor not sure what a diesel motor would cost.

Thank you.

post-1059-1298243653_thumb.jpg

Hi satboyz,

The miles on the engine are not excessive. It all depends on how the entire drive train has been maintained.

1. Are all the maintenance records available and verifiable?

2. Have a certified Cummins diesel tech and an Allison tech check out the components.

3. See if you can purchase a one year service contract (Good Sam, etc.)

If these three elements fall into place and the floor plan is what you are looking for, go for it.

A new ISL would run about $50K. It all depends on what one can reuse.

Guest BillAdams

That's a lot of miles. Most motor homes are driven 10,000 miles or less per year. The mileage on the engine is OK as they are designed to run and run and run. You will want to pay WAY less than any book value might show and less than any price you might see at a dealer or on the internet for a similar year CC.

I would be worried about all of the other components that have taken a major beating as they were driven down the road. Find as much history as you can (especially the maintenance records as mentioned above) and then have an independent professional look the unit over from head to toe and give you an idea of what is right and wrong.

The person is going through a divorce. Looking at offering $30,000.

The miles scare me too thats why I was wondering what it would be if it needs to be replaced.

This is what he has done on it: replaced fuel pumps, turbo, water pumps and rebuilt top end at 300,000 miles also replaced tires, brakes and front wheel bearings at that time...

Last summer rebuilt hurricane water heater and Onan 8k generator it now has 5689 hours.

This RV is in pretty good shape always stored in heated building and washed after every trip.

If he is willing to sell it for $30,000 and it was well maintained, I would consider purchasing it at that price even if the engine was missing !

This past summer I looked at a number of 2003 40 ft tag axle Allure's and they were all in the $140,000 to $190,000 range. I would go for it.......... Let us know how you make out.

Paul