cchris

Toad On Carhauler

I purchased a 40' DP recently and am trying to make a decision about towing. I definitely do not want a car caddy and looked into towing 4 wheels on the ground. When pricing tow bars and braking systems it seems to run in the neighborhood of $2000 -$2500. It seems that most people I meet tow that way but I have been told if you ever have to back up over a couple of feet you would do damage. That concerns me since I have already found sometimes I get in a tight with a long rig. So I have been thinking of purchasing a open car hauler which I know you could back up. Also I believe you could get one for close to the same money and I could also use it in my business.

So it seems that the cost would be close but the only negative I can see is parking the trailer at campgrounds. I stayed at a large campground recently and they had a place you could leave your trailer while you are at their park.

I would love to hear feed back from anyone with any experience with this or any insights. Will this create a big hassle as I move around the country?

Guest BillAdams

Maybe you are not in a hurry, but I can have my toad behind me connected or disconnected in less than 2 minutes. Even if you could get your car on and off the car hauler in that amount of time it's going to take quite a bit of time to get the vehicle secured properly.

In over 12 years of full-timing we have only gotten "stuck" where we could not back up or go forward 4-5 times. So, that's where that quick hook-up/disconnect comes in handy. You just laugh that you got yourself into the mess, get yourself out of the mess and then move on. I would guess that how you travel would be a big influence. If you are going to only move every week or two (or twice a year) it really wouldn't matter how you tow. If you are going to move very often I think you will find 4-wheels down much more convenient.

When we first purchased our motorhome, our current car could not be towed four wheels down or on a tow dolly. We were not willing to trade in our existing car for one that could be towed four wheels down so we looked into a car hauler. We decided to buy an aluminum car hauler, thinking that it would last a long time and retain it's value. This worked out very well for towing behind the motorhome. It also has worked out well for towing other things (my son's car to the mechanic, my daughter's car to the mechanic, pavers and cement blocks for the yard, etc.) behind my Excursion. We have sold the car and now have a newer one that can be towed four wheels down (which is how we tow it), When the car hauler is no longer of use, I expect to recoup most of my original investment.

when you were using your car hauler behind your coach did you experience problems finding a place to stash you hauler at campgrounds? That is my mine concern.

We tow our toad 4-wheels down. It's a bit more challenging than towing our ski boat, which can be backed up without trouble. When you can't reverse, you need to think your way through things a bit more in advance.

I've gotten into tight places a couple of times and had to disconnect. On our last trip we found the road washed out and no room to turn around. It took about 5 minutes (I'm not as talented as Bill Adams!) to unhook the toad so we could get the coach backed up.

Most of the parks we've visited have space somewhere to stash your carhauler. Thus, either approach has advantages and disadvantages. If you have room for a carhauler and can use it in your business, maybe that's a sound approach.

Is a good carhauler really available for the same price as a towbar and brakes? Also, what does the carhauler weigh? Are you up against limitations on total weight you'll be pulling?

Good luck,

Tim

I looked on Ebay and found carhaulers in the $1800 - 2500 range so I guess it depends on the tow bar and braking system you buy whether it is competitive. I realize you have to keep up two sets of tires. I'm not sure what the trailer would weigh but I think I would be safe with the 10,000 lb hitch on the coach to tow that way.

However, the folks I have spoken with has encouraged me to flat tow so that may be the way I go. I liked the simplicity of the hookup of going with the trailer in not having to mount the tow bar and the fact I have heard of some of the braking systems locking up.

Thanks for your response.

We didn't have any problems finding a place to store the trailer. We always asked when calling the campground about the availability of a pull-through or a place to store the trailer. If the trailer needed to be stored, the campgrounds usually would move it for me.

I have towed both ways, and of course, the easiest is 4 down. With that been said, it's your decision which way to go. With the trailer, as was said, do you have room to park with it attached at an overnite spot(or unload and remote park), how easy is it to load the vecicle and tie down. Again, weather plays a part in this, hot-cold-wet-dry, etc. Also, age(yours), is a factor. If non of this is a concern, than a trailer is the way to go. Use some kind of protection on the front of the trailer to help rock chips and debris from the vehicle.