SergeantMajor

FMCA Revenue Ideas

I have not been an FMCA member for a long time, but I keep reading in the newsletters, magazine, and websites how much financial difficulties the FMCA (as well as the rest of the RVing industry) is having due to the bad economy and low number of new paying memberships. I have read in the FMCA Full Timers Chapter newsletter about Full Life Memberships that FMCA use to offer. According to Jean S. Pryor, L12913 (an FMCA Full Timer Chapter member and Life Member), Full Lifetime Members are people who, in about 1977, contributed $500 to help save FMCA from bankruptcy and they no longer pay dues, get all benefits, and up to 2 conventions free per year. (Life members acquire an L before the member number.)

I see in the past, that FMCA offered these Full Lifetime memberships as a way to generate some quick cash for the organization's financial chest. I also see other RV organizations offering Lifetime Membership such as Good Sam and Escapees RV Club. It seems by offering a lifetime membership for one large lump sum, that this is a good way to generate some quick cash and also to build up core amount of members for the long haul. The other RV clubs and organizations do not include lifetime rallies, but "DO" include their magazine. Perhaps the FMCA could re institute the lifetime memberships, but could perhaps include a mandatory digital subscription as a way to help defray mailing and printing costs of the magazine if a person opts for the lifetime membership; or offer two differing amounts for a lifetime membership - one with a paper magazine and snail mail delivery and one with a digital magazine only format with no mailing and printing costs.

What do others think about this topic? Has this topic ever been brought up at the National level since the last time it was used back in about 1977? What would be a fair amount to pay for a lifetime FMCA membership (with or without a printed magazine subscription) and "NO" lifetime free rallies (as the other RV clubs do)? The club could then take this large lump sum membership fees and invest that money to help the long term stability of the club.

I know we can all help the FMCA by trying to recruit more members by inviting our family and friends to join, but I truly do see this as another viable means to an end; which is to increase the number of long term members and to build up some finances for the organization.

You have certainly given this some thought. I agree that there are times when many organizations must consider life memberships as a way to infuse cash. A temporary infusion of cash does help with current expenses but it can be harmful in the long term. This is because as prices increase and dues must go up; the association will lose any potential benefit of the increased dues for this segment of the membership. I do not agree that now is the time to consider offering more life memberships.

FMCA is strong and that is due in part to the fact that we have no real debt. At the end of December 2010 we had reserves of about $7 million. We do have an aging membership. Some older members are getting out of motorhoming and not renewing their membership. But, we also continue to bring in thousands of new members each year.

As with all businesses and even in our personal lives there are periods when our assets are not what we would like them to be. However, there is a misconception about the purpose of the $500 life memberships. The following passage is taken from the history of FMCA found on this web site under the drop down “Join FMCA†and then the drop down “About FMCAâ€

“By 1976 the association employed 15 full-time employees who attended to the needs of approximately 20,000 member families. FMCA's leaders determined that the association was now big enough to invest in property rather than continue to rent from others. Thus, the life member program was created to help raise the necessary funds for purchasing property. Thanks to the generosity of many FMCA members, who paid $500 each toward achieving this goal, enough money was raised to acquire property at 8291 Clough Pike in eastern Cincinnati, which continues to house the national office today.â€

I hope this clarifies information about the purpose of those $500 life memberships and gives you a better understanding of our current financial position.

Judy Czarsty

National Senior Vice President/Acting National President

F79148

Thanks for that clarification, Judy. It's nice to hear that through this rough economic patch the FMCA is strong and viable. Motorcoach style travel and full timing will come back to previous levels before we know it. We all need to hang in there and do our best.

A digital magazine makes sense for many RVers. I was recently offered a digital review of a publication that I receive in print form now. The digital form was difficult to read and maneuver on my computer screen. It was not the answer to my desire for a digital magazine. The magazine format does not fit a computer screen. If you shrink it to fit a computer screen it is so small that it can't be read. If you enlarge it you have to surf all over the page to read an article and then if it goes to page 42, you have to find page 42. There are ways to address this but it means reformatting the magazine for a computer screen so that it can be read easily (by older RVers). As of this time, I haven't seen a publication do this well.

Advertisements present another challenge. They invariably slow down the loading of pages due to their complex graphics that sometimes include multiple pictures or motion which adds another level of frustration for those of us who don't have high-speed Internet access. I'm all for eliminating paper, but it has to be better than just putting the print magazine online. Some people would be able to use a digital magazine and it could be offered to those folks, and as the shift to digital increases, the format of the magazine could also shift to a digital-friendly format.

As to life memberships. I have been a member of organizations that offer life memberships. To make the membership pay for an organization, the cost of the membership must cover the dues that would come in for some time into the future. If the organization doesn't calculate this correctly, life memberships can be a costly mistake. They can be a real bargain for an individual, but that doesn't benefit the organization. Forecasting future costs is, as many of us older adults have learned, a very risky process. For this reason many organizations have decided against offering life memberships. FMCA does offer extended dues purchase. You can renew your dues for up to five years ahead, I believe. In that way you can get somewhat discounted dues which can be forecast over a shorter period of time and thus more reliably cover member costs to the organization. Keeping the renewal period at five years allows the organization to revise the dues structure on a continuing basis without the great risk associated with life memberships. If life memberships are offered, they likely would be so expensive that only a few members would be willing to put forth the required payment.

I hope this isn't considered "hijacking this thread", but I too have a revenue idea. Every January, I get the "large issue" with the list of members who have recruted 10, 20, 50, 100+... members. I am wondering, how do they do it? I know it might seem self-serving, but could an article be put in the FMC magazine highlighting one or more of the members who have signed up a large number of new members and how do they do it?

I've discussed FMCA with a couple of co-workers who have motorhomes, but they wern't interested. Aside from leaving issues of FMC magazines in Dr's offices, I really have no ideas on suggesting our great organization to others.

Thanks,

Chris G.

Every January, I get the "large issue" with the list of members who have recruted 10, 20, 50, 100+... members. I am wondering, how do they do it? I know it might seem self-serving, but could an article be put in the FMC magazine highlighting one or more of the members who have signed up a large number of new members and how do they do it?

I've discussed FMCA with a couple of co-workers who have motorhomes, but they wern't interested. Aside from leaving issues of FMC magazines in Dr's offices, I really have no ideas on suggesting our great organization to others.

Thanks,

Chris G.

Thank you for your interest in signing up new members.

The FMCA Membershp department can send a recruitment tool kit to you. It includes a CD presentation, called Go Recruiting On Wheels (G.R.O.W.), that provides tips for signing up new members and discusses the rewards you can receive for recruiting them.

The kit also includes membership applications, information about FMCA, and postcards that your prospects can fill out to receive free issues of Family Motor Coaching magazine.

FMCA members can request a copy of the G.R.O.W. CD and tool kit by contacting the Membership department at membership@fmca.com or (800) 543-3622. Just mention G.R.O.W., and they'll ship the materials to you.

Here are a few member recruitment links on FMCA.com:

Member recruitment (member login required)

Recruiters extraordinaire