wolfe10

Air Brake System Check

Air Brake System Pre-trip Check

1. Be on reasonably level ground. Block wheels so the coach can not move even with the parking brake off.

2. Start engine and run until full air pressure is reached. Listen for the dryer to purge (about 120 PSI).

3. Shut off the engine.

4. Release the parking brake by pushing in the yellow button (make sure you don't roll, and do NOT apply the brake pedal).

5. After the initial pressure drop, the system should not loose more than 2 PSI per minute.

6. Apply the brake pedal firmly (still with the parking brake OFF).

7. After the initial pressure drop, the system should not loose any more than 3 PSI per minute.

8. With the engine off and parking brake off, rapidly pump the brake pedal to bleed down the air supply. During this stage you should watch for the warning light and buzzer at about 60 PSI and then the yellow button (parking brake) should pop out at about 30 PSI.

9. Restart the engine and build up air pressure again. While building up pressure, check how long it takes for pressure to go from 85 to 100 PSI at cruising RPM. It should be less than 45 seconds.

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the information. I've never seen this posted anywhere.

Gary,

It is basically the same test that you are required to know to get an air brake endorsement on a driver's license in most states and I understand ALL provinces in Canada.

Brett

Hello Brett:

Last month I tested for my Texas noncommercial class B license. (gvwr more than 26,000 lbs; toad less than 10,000lbs) Because my new coach has air brakes, I had to pass a written test over air brake systems. I also had to demonstrate to the Department of Public safety testing officer just such an air brake system check before even being allowed to proceed with the driving skills portion of tests. In studying about my air brake system, I sure did learn a lot of very good and necessary information.

Bob Tilley